Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Hey from PA

Bean

Bean

Jul 26, 2020
Hey everyone, another new guy here. I’m 37, I have 3 year old twin boys, and I’m a barber by trade. I used to power lift in high school, had some pretty good mass built, but y’know life . So I’m retry out of shape, and not proud of it and on top of that I have type 2 diabetes. My sugar was pretty out of control, even with meds, and I was scared I might not live past 50. A few weeks or a month ago I was driving down the road, and I saw a weight bench, weights and a curl bar someone had put out for trash, so I grabbed them and threw them in my suv. From there, I got a standard weight bar (these are standard weights), dumbbells, a squatting pad for my neck, some more weights and another curl bar. The second curl bar was given to me along with another 45 lbs of weights. So I currently have about 340 lbs worth of weights. My current schedule is upper body one day, lower body the next day, and rest the next day. I’m also taking whey protein and consuming as much protein as I can in a day, usually getting at least 100 grams a day.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Welcome Bean, these first big steps back are always the hardest. Congrats on making your mind up to change your health.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Welcome Bean. Might I suggest throwing in some walking on your rest days? Good for gpp and recovery

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
You’re going to
Need moar protein.

1g per pound body weight is a decent rule of thumb.

Probably shouldn’t mention things like neck pads or lifting gloves. Unless you’re one of those special guys like CFM who has no shame.

Welcome.

Ex Pat, Philly born.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
You’re going to
Need moar protein.

1g per pound body weight is a decent rule of thumb.

Probably shouldn’t mention things like neck pads or lifting gloves. Unless you’re one of those special guys like CFM who has no shame.

Welcome.

Ex Pat, Philly born.

Ditto that!...

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Welcome! Congrats on your new journey. No doubt, you will do great. This place is a great place to learn and also teach each other.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Good for you brother everyone starts somewhere. The first steps are the hardest.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You are way ahead of the game in terms of supplies. With COVID came various shutdowns, various States, various times ever since March or April. Lots of gyms had to shutdown, that created many gymfreak orphans who suddenly flooded the online gym equipment companies like Rogue to the point they are outta stock and have long waiting lists.

At the beginning stage where discouragement is easy, YOU are better-positioned than some of us ... now apply what you know and what you learn here and get to it. Welcome to the Den.

editing to add I can only guess having Diabetes is no fun. If it gets to your head too much, google Tim Belknap, a Type 1 who got huge in the way Franco Columbo was, i.e. Tim was 5' 4" He died of unrelated causes, but his Diabetes was no bodybuilding handicap.

Last edited:
Bean

Bean

Jul 26, 2020
Wow, I am very impressed with the warm welcome! Seriously guys, got my knickers a little moist . I’ve belonged to several forums on various topics over the years, and never been shown so much love off an introduction. Very cool. I’m gonna address a couple things at once here. To the guy who said about neck pads, I guess I don’t have any shame lol. I’ve tried squatting without a pad before, and it doesn’t feel that great. If I get flamed for it, meh . At the end of the day it’s more about me being comfortable with how I lift than what other people think. I also just ordered fat grips because my hands and wrists are getting sore. Thanks for the tip about the protein. I am not quite sure I can accomplish that though. Even if I drank four protein shakes a day, that’s still a little less than half of what I would need. However, I will put some thought into how to get more. Presently I am getting a lot more than I was. Now to the guy who mentioned about diabetes. It’s not a handicap, in fact my diabetes is better controlled since I started working out and getting more protein. I have some high sugars here and there when I eat too much of the wrong things, but before it was like every day. And I’m feeling pretty encouraged by that and the fact that even though it’s only been a couple weeks, I’m already seeing some improvement in muscle tone. Having diabetes isn’t any fun, that’s for sure. But being active boosts the metabolism and I also figured since muscles burn sugar, weightlifting would be naturally good for it. Seems like I’m on the right track so far.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
@Bean

Don’t concern yourself with protein shakes or even with hitting a certain number, or even with counting that number.

Just have animal source protein with every meal (eggs, fish, steak, chicken, pork, milk, cheese, etc.) and then buy snack foods that have nuts in them.

Where you are now and where you want to go, in my opinion, don’t require stringent attention to the numbers in your diet. And protein shakes are the lowest on the totem pole. Whole food is always best, and if you’re eating to control your diabetes, you’re likely eating fairly healthy food now, regularly.

Welcome!

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
@Bean

Don’t concern yourself with protein shakes or even with hitting a certain number, or even with counting that number.

Just have animal source protein with every meal (eggs, fish, steak, chicken, pork, milk, cheese, etc.) and then buy snack foods that have nuts in them.

Where you are now and where you want to go, in my opinion, don’t require stringent attention to the numbers in your diet. And protein shakes are the lowest on the totem pole. Whole food is always best, and if you’re eating to control your diabetes, you’re likely eating fairly healthy food now, regularly.

Welcome!

I agree and so would the Late Rich Piana. Most of the supplements have carbs and sugars in the then. Eat real food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic