lk has no balls
What's New?

Hertz Car Sales

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Leasing makes no financial sense unless you can write it off. You are basically throwing $XXX to borrow someone's car and have noting left after paying every month.
For a few dollars more why not own something and stop paying for it once you have paid it off? My Infiniti is paid for, haven't had to make a payment in months, if I want to buy a new car it's a free down payment at this point in a trade in.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I had a choice 2 years to lease or buy, went with buying, glad I did. Car is worth $10K more than what I owe at the moment. With leasing I would have handed that equity over to the leasing company.....

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I had a choice 2 years to lease or buy, went with buying, glad I did. Car is worth $10K more than what I owe at the moment. With leasing I would have handed that equity over to the leasing company.....
Plus that extra $500 a month that you're not paying on a car goes a long way towards hookers a bourbon!

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
In my case I purchased my lease and all the payments I previously paid went towards the vehicle and came off the negotiated amount I leased. If that makes sense.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
In my case I purchased my lease and all the payments I previously paid went towards the vehicle and came off the negotiated amount I leased. If that makes sense.
It does, but you are paying more for the car. Do the math.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Mine might have been a rare case, but I had a negotiated buy out written into the lease which was the value of the car after 3 years and the mileage. Was actually about 10k cheaper than other cars I looked up of my brand before I did the buyout. Was one of those things I wanted to make sure I was still getting a great deal at the end. But my year was also the last good year and really sought after.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Mine might have been a rare case, but I had a negotiated buy out written into the lease which was the value of the car after 3 years and the mileage. Was actually about 10k cheaper than other cars I looked up of my brand before I did the buyout. Was one of those things I wanted to make sure I was still getting a great deal at the end. But my year was also the last good year and really sought after.

A Prius?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Anyone ever bought a car from Hertz or Enterprise? Yes, I realize these are cars people rent, but some of the higher end cards I have been renting are very nice, well maintained and not beat up. Prices on these low mile cars are so much better than the dealer. Compared a Cadillac XTS and a Chrysler 300S to the dealer and they are a good $5 - $7K cheaper with lower miles.
I'd be concerned about DNA, Hair and/or Cocaine residue when 5.0 puts the K9 on you.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'd be concerned about DNA, Hair and/or Cocaine residue when 5.0 puts the K9 on you.
In the trunk of the car or my gray sweatpants with the elastic around the ankles?

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I beat rental cars, my small pp and rake what is left of my leaves in the spring after most of them blow into my neighbors yard. Congratu Fucking Lations.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm with LK on this. I always treat my rentals pretty well. Just driving around the city for work, and the rental agency does the required preventive maintenance. You then are purchasing a vehicle that's in decent condition that has already depreciated significantly, so you're purchasing just the true residual value of the vehicle. It's said that the most expensive driving "incident" you'll ever incur is when you drive the new car off the lot.

I haven't done this in the past, but I'll look into it in my next purchase.

Vehicles are not an investment. Absent a rare vehicle that becomes a classic, every vehicle will one day be sitting in a junkyard worth $0. And the time period between new purchase price and $0 is not an extremely long time, about 15 years. So unless you attribute significant value to enjoying a nice drive vs. a normal drive, it's best to buy a cheaper vehicle. I've purchased a Honda Civic for each of my kids, and I just purchased one for myself recently. Not very sexy, but I'm not either, so it suits me just fine. For $22K, it's brand spanking new, has the same interior room that an Accord had about 10 years ago, has most of the bells and whistles that I care about, and gets 40 MPG. The thing will easily give you 200-250K miles, and is dependable.

Is a nicer car more fun to drive? You bet. Is that better driving experience worth the extra $30-40K? Nope, not to me.

Not trying to be party pooper, but that's how I roll. I do have a fun car, a 1993 Dodge Viper. I take it out on sunny days,and pretend I'm cool. It's fun to drive, and with it just having under 25K miles, it's holding it's value pretty well. I'm guessing with a little TLC I could probably sell it for about $40K, which is what I paid for it about 15 years ago.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Buy Land Rover/Range Rover. I had 210,000mi on my 2010 LR4 when I sold it to some wannabe gansta for 18k. They run forever and hold value (as a private seller not so much as a trade-in). I drive a 2013 Range Rover Evoque that is identical to the 2019s and gets noticed not as flashy but sophistamacated. The LR/RR’s never make huge style changes year to year which makes them timeless. My mom says I look like Jason Statham when I’m rolling by.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic