Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Hernia, My story

ydopen

ydopen

Mar 20, 2012
Just thought I would share my story for those that arnt familiar with one. A Hernia is when u have a tear in your stomach wall and you intesines/guts are coming out, for those not familiar.

Around December I noticed a bulge below my belt on the left side? I never felt a pull and it never hurt even when being mashed on, or straining while working out?

It would poke out while standing up but when I laid down it was flat? I thought it was a pulled muscle that would go away?

After about 2 months of noticing the bulge,One Friday nite while having a few coldies with my Paw-inlaw i told him about it, He said let me see it, he said= AWW HELL U GOT A HERNIA THEY ARE GONNA HAVE TO CUT YOU WIDE OPEN!!!!!

Well after being told that I lost alot of sleep and couldnt stop thinking about it, so I told my wife to get me a appointment with our family Dr.

Family Dr had a look and said YES you have a Hernia, so i set up a appointment with a sergeon.

He took a look, and said it could happen from the gym? sneezing? coughing? straining from takin a crap? Its hard to tell? He said I could let it ride for a while, I said NO NO its time to get it over with. He said he would push my intestines back in and put mesh over it and sew me back up.

That next Friday I went in that morning and they put me to sleep and I was home by lunch, It was pretty tough to get up or down, or in and out of the bed for the first few days, I started driving again after about 4 days but couldnt wear a seat belt,Was told by the Dr. not to pick up anything over 10 pounds for a few weeks. I took off work for 3 weeks.

Went back for my checkup 2 weeks after surgery, It still has a bulge and I was worried about that, but Dr said its fine, its just the mesh and it will take a while to graph in. He said just take it slow for a while, no heavy lifting, work your way back up slow and listen to your body.

It has been 5 weeks now, Im lifting very light at the gym 15-25 reps, It still is a little sore some times, depends on how i move or what i pick up.

If you have any questions I will be glad to answer/help best as i can

Wes

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
bro hernias happen

i had one 5 years ago--had it fixed and was mowing the grass two days later and back in the gym 4 wks later

MPMC

MPMC

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Ive had an umbilical hernia for about 2 years now. Still holding off from the surgery. The only thing it keeps me from doing is dead lifts. Nothing else bothers me in the gym. I need to get it fixed sooner or later though because the leaner I get, the worse it looks.

M

madbaldscotsman

Mar 18, 2012
Had one in '85 Germany. Had staples so I couldn'tdo no wrong by the surgery. Took a couple weeks and I was good as new. It takes a while for the body to adjust to something now not being there anymore.

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
I also had one and got it from sneezing (allergies). I had the surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. Was working out again 4 weeks later.

I will give you one tip. The older you are the longer it takes to heal. I know 2 people that had it done while in their 50's and the recovery for them was 3 times as long.

ydopen

ydopen

Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for the storys, I guess im just scared to jump in to quick that it mite damage it? Im waiting on the other side to blow out now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic