i split my legs up
quads one day alone
hamstrings, triceps and abs another

HELP any advice guys?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
What are you doing for quad work right now?

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
squats, hack squat machine, extensions, leg press sled, smith machine front squats

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
As far as hammies I would say get some deadlifting and glute ham raises in.

How many reps and sets are you doing.I had read somewhere to get em to grow you need to do higher reps because of the slow twich fibers in quads.
It makes sense i dont lift for size I lift for strength and while my quads and hams are good size they arent massive.I lift in the low rep range.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
squats, hack squat machine, extensions, leg press sled, smith machine front squats

Is it just your quads that are lagging or hams too? That quad lineup looks pretty decent... what rep ranges are you using?

For the past 2 weeks I have hit quads 3x a week just to give them some shock. I do my normal split at noon and go back at night on M, W, F and hit quads for 10-12 sets. Tonight my quads feel like they've been beat with a bag of hammers.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I went two years with almost no growth in my legs... A friend of mine helped out by asking about my other bodypart routines. He pointed out that I've got all sorts of shock techniques like super sets, forced reps, drop sets etc... for everything but legs. Once I lowered the weight and upped the reps and incorporated shock techniques I've had major growth of the last year and a half that I am very proud of!

My typical leg routine
3 warm up sets of single leg extensions... Practically no weight but about 50 reps per set.
Squats - Ass to grass! either back or front squats and on front squats I go full ham to calves: 2 warm up sets; 4 work sets. Weight goes up on each set no matter what. Even if its 2 1/2 pound plates lol. Rep range is no less than 12.

Leg Press - 3 Sets to gut wrenching failure. Weight goes up exponentially on each set. 10 rep target but try and push past this. Forced reps at the end of each set by pushing with my arms on the vastus medialis for support.

Stiff Legged Dead Lifts from a Deficit - 1 warm up 4 work sets. Stretch the shit out of those hams! and explode up squeezing the buttcheeks like you're gonna crap yourself. Hold for a 3 count and slowly lower. 10-12 rep range increasing weight with each set.

Good Mornings - Usually keep these light with about 15 reps per set. Just pump a ton of blood in the back of the legs. 2 Sets

Extensions superset to curls for 3 sets. Moderate weight in the 15 rep range with 45 seconds rest between each superset. Super slow motions. 5 seconds concentric and 10 second eccentric. Burns like a bastard!

Then i work abs by barfing my guts out :)

Give that a try??? Hope it helps bro!

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I use 6-10 reps for squats. 6 reps for 4 sets, or 10 reps for 3 sets, alternating workout. sometimes I start with leg ress for 20 reps, then squat with 10 reps. I always start with 4 x 20 reps on leg ext. I use the typical routine.., extensions, squats, leg press, leg curls, sld, calves. on the week I deadlift heavy, I start with leg press, squat and leg curl only, no SLD. occasionally I do 100 rep rest pause on squats with 225lbs. first set is mendatory 50 reps, then finish the rest in 2-3 sets(this seemed to work very well for shock growth). I also do lunges occasionally with decent weights(225) for sets of 6, to challenge my hip stability.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
heres the workout

i start with lots of stretching--cuz im old
squats 2 sets of 20, then 5 sets pryamiding down on reps and up on weight--and i go as deep as i can safely handling the weight--usually 405 is the max
5 sets on the hack sled usually topping out with 5 plates on each side sometimes more/less depending on how i feel
4 sets of leg extensions 2 half stack, 1 3/4 stack 1 hole stack all to failure
4 sets on the leg press
then finish with either lunges or smith machine front squats 4 sets

and before anyone says anything about the volume i need that to grow im an ex pro cyclist so i need it trust me

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic