Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Help with front squats

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
My right elbow has been kinda ****ed up since the car wreck and I'm still able to perform Oly front squat. You just have to be "gingerly" and if it's still giving your problems put straps on the bar and grasp it like that. I posted a vid above demonstrating how to perform an Oly front squat w/ straps. The main thing is to just be careful and if it's painful use the straps.

You can also post a vid of you performing the front squat and we can help you with it.

Now that would be comedy! lol I have never tried them to be honest and not sure it's necessary at this point unless I was looking to do something different, which could come about. :) I will out of curiosity next Monday, try the grip before I do squats and see how it feels though.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Now that would be comedy! lol I have never tried them to be honest and not sure it's necessary at this point unless I was looking to do something different, which could come about. :) I will out of curiosity next Monday, try the grip before I do squats and see how it feels though.

I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as bad as you think.

Front Squats done correctly will really work on your outer quad sweep so I'd recommend trying them.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I struggled with wrist flexibility; you can see in the video how he is hardly gripping the bar. I grip it with just two finger, and elbow out to "shelve" the weight; forcing better posture. This will help keeping the weight from rolling forward. Start light, because your wrist and fingers get really sore.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Glen Pendlay has some great tips on positioning for front squats. I have really tight shoulders and he recommends getting in that position and having someone face opposite of you (the bar is still in the stands) and use their shoulders and get under your elbows and attempt to stretch them by shrugging their shoulders into your elbows. He says its really uncomfortable but helps with ROM. I personally use the straps right now but want to eventually use the oly style. I also am squatting shoulder width and feet facing straight forward. This is a new concept for me but hoping it helps.

A

amore169

Sep 8, 2012
Front squats has always been an awkward movement for me, I even bought the stingray attachment which are suppose to help you but still I wasn't happy with them, I stopped doing them a while ago.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Glen Pendlay has some great tips on positioning for front squats. I have really tight shoulders and he recommends getting in that position and having someone face opposite of you (the bar is still in the stands) and use their shoulders and get under your elbows and attempt to stretch them by shrugging their shoulders into your elbows. He says its really uncomfortable but helps with ROM. I personally use the straps right now but want to eventually use the oly style. I also am squatting shoulder width and feet facing straight forward. This is a new concept for me but hoping it helps.

Widening your grip will make it easier to grip the bar when performing a front squat.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I think a VID shit from the rear would be the best way to analyze the form being utilized.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic