Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

help with deadlift

D

darkerside

Dec 3, 2010
i have just started to train like a powerlifter this week after years of training like a bodybuilder, i got my brother to video my deadlift and it became very clear that the last 1/4 of the lift is where i struggle, i can move the weight from the floor up to about 3/4 of the range very easily but then it seems to stall and i really struggle, i was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me a bit of advice on how to improve the last bit of the lift, i was thinking rack lifts and good mornings but is there anything else i can do to help?
cheers Adam

Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Oct 12, 2010
I've no idea how much you are trying to lift, but it sounds like you are trying to go too heavy too quickly since you have changed your routine from BB to PL. I would lower the weight to a level you are comfortable with, and concentrate on form. Once perfected, increase the weights short of using bad form, otherwise you are inviting injury. Get used to the heavier weights before moving up again.

D

darkerside

Dec 3, 2010
cheers for the advice,
Even though i have always trained like a bodybuilder i have always tried to go heavy (well for me anyway) the weight isnt that great it was my 1 rep max, but after reading the thread on deadlifts it seems it could be down to my form, i was trying to pull my torso back rather than push hips forward, my routine iam on now is 5x5 at about 80% of my 1 rep max (is this about right?) so i will stick to this weight but try the new technique and see if the 5x5 is any easier. Then when ive perfected the technique i will try my 1 rep max again.

T

Triax

Sep 23, 2010
Try doing more shrug work and look into powerlifting technique.It is a little more complicated at first but instead of pulling the last little bit try kicking your hips out to the weight.Make sense?

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Would rack pulls not help here?

D

darkerside

Dec 3, 2010
Try doing more shrug work and look into powerlifting technique.It is a little more complicated at first but instead of pulling the last little bit try kicking your hips out to the weight.Make sense?

i dont think its shrug work im pretty good at those, i do dumbbell shrugs using 80kg dumbbells for reps, and can do over 200kg for barbell shrugs, but i do think its down to technique, i tried a deadlift today and used my hips more and it felt much better, i just tried it to see how the technique felt and even though i did heavy working sets of deadlifts on friday and my back was still aching quite a bit i used only 20kg less than my 1 rep max and it felt easy. Will do my proper 5x5 again next friday and will see how it goes using the proper form and technique.

T

Triax

Sep 23, 2010
Deadlifting is all about technique.Part of the year I say screw technique and work on mass and pure strength.But once I start my speed and form cycle it jumps up super quick.The rack pulls I think would help to.Set the pin at your sticking point and pull from there.Kinda like board work with benching.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Try doing some reverse hypers, and good mornings.

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
sounds like you are fine off the floor, are you reg or do you sumo, i am guessing regular because sumo is easier to lockout but harder off the floor and vice versa.
with reg stance When u get to the top do not pull back but push the hips forward, that should help.

D

darkerside

Dec 3, 2010
well i improved my technique today on deadlifts and i added 10kg on to my previous 1 rep max, i could have probably gone a bit heavier but had already done quite a few heavy sets.

this is my previous 1 rep max last week (terrible i know)

this is this week and 5kg more than my previous 1 rep max

and this is my next lift which is 10kg more than my previous 1 rep max

was so surprised i got the last lift up i didnt hold it for long but i could have.
Thanks for all the advice guys it obviously goes along way in actually knowing how to lift properly

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
OK. you obviously have a lot of strength and when u get your form down your DL will shoot up.
The problem at the top is not a problem with strength, it is a problem with body position. Watch your hips and back in the vid, the hips and back should not move up at all in the lift, what i am saying is keep the butt down and the back straight and do not change that during the lift. right now your butt moves up and your back rounds which makes the top of lift hard because u are trying to get back into the position u should be during the whole lift.
Good luck

D

darkerside

Dec 3, 2010
you can notice allot more in the first video, the bottom 2 are a bit better, but I will try improve even more next week,
so what you are saying oldpler is that I need to be using just my legs for the whole lift, so it will be like a deep squat.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic