Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Help with a routine WITHOUT legs

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Can't work legs for a long time due to a ruptured achilles tendon. Had surgery now I can't do anything with my legs for a few months. I usually rotate 5/3/1 routines but not having legs kinda screws that up, I feel like a noob again. Right now I'm doing
Shoulders (5/3/1 presses, db ohp, side laterals, and face pulls)
Back (no deadlifts due to legs, pull downs, seated row, and pull-ups lots of volume
Off
Chest (5/3/1 bench, dips, db flies, high volume cable crossovers
Off
Arms (incline curls, preacher curls, cable curls, push downs, skull crushers, and one hand cable reverse pull downs)
Off

I've really never put together my own routine before, and missing a leg day is killing me. Does this split look decent?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
You stay in this game long enough, you deal with injuries; it's how you deal with it that's important.

Answer; Not to me. Heavy weight requires leg drive on some of those movements. Even Lat Pulldowns require you to anchor down with your calves so take it easy. I think you'll do just fine with those movements but until you heal, you're not back to 100%. Last thing you need is a re-injury or worse, injury something upstairs and be out of the game for even longer.

I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery so I know how you feel. The target does seem far away but one Smart day at a time. God's speed to your recovery.

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
It's a bitch man, I'm struggling with it, thanks for the words of encouragement

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Work your other non-injured leg, and visulize that you are working both. Several studies show you can stave off atrophy just by visualizing the non-useable limb as working under load while you load the other.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Can I ask how it happened? I heard NFL players say the heard it on the field when it snapped and it was the tendon of the guy they were playing.

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Playing baseball. It was after I hit, when I started out the box it popped. Felt like it was hit by a hammer

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Personally I always work around injury over the years you learn to isolate . After spine surgery I still hit the gym , post hip still hit it . However to me many nautilus type machines are made for the specific purpose of isolating certain muscles . Like if you anchor yourself doing like pulldowns etc you’ll need to make sure your injured leg is free of pressure and strain . It can be done . Just be aware of how you use the leg T all times . I even joined 2-3 gyms before just because they had various machines during my 2 years that I was allowing my spine procedure to set and harden . For example I had to be aware of flexing my abs too much or compressing my spine . I recall even a sort of upside down supine press where I could still behefit presses without compromising my spine . I think too it takes immense focus and concentration to relax specific muscles but I tell you if you want something enough you will figure a way

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic