Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Help: Sudden Loss of Strength in Triceps

P

paulcallow

Feb 8, 2016
Hello,

I would really appreciate any help, advice or encouragement with this problem.

For the last six months I have been training chest three times per week. My weights on bench press and close grip bench press have been steadily increasing and I have been doing three very heavy sets of each exercise each workout.

Out of the blue last week my right triceps has suddenly lost its strength and a warm up weight of 60kg has gone from 30 reps to 6 or 7!!

There is no pain or swelling, just no strength!!

I would like to hear if anyone has experienced this and any thoughts on what the problem may be, and how to recover....

Many thanks,

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Start with time off. A week. Come back and see what happens. Have you had any neck or spine injuries? Any numbness or tingling?

P

paulcallow

Feb 8, 2016
Hi, thanks for the reply - no, no numbness, tingling or anything at all!

It's all very odd!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply - no, no numbness, tingling or anything at all!

It's all very odd!

You probably just need a break man. Going at it full steam ahead for months on end can leave you over trained to a point where you go backwards.

Have a beer, some poptarts and relax for a week.

R

Ruger72

Sep 4, 2014
Do you pin SEO? The home made stuff has killed muscle/nerves in some dudes.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
There's no way to tell for sure without a MRI, but there is a good chance a bulging or herniated disc in your cervical spine is pinching the nerve that fires your tricep. If you take POB's advice and lay off for a bit, there is a good chance it will self correct. There are neck stretches you can find online to expedite the process.

P

paulcallow

Feb 8, 2016
Hi,

Thank you very much indeed - good advice and will look into.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Also look into Muscle Activation Therapies via Massage (MAT)

or even Precision Neuromuscular Therapy (PNMT) via massage.

Many times you simply need to restore the natural firing sequence of muscles involved in movement -

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yes..for sure is some nerve impingement. ....went thru same thing in left quad after surgery. Had aggressive deep tissue massages done.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It could just be that something is injured and is cutting you off... a shoulder, a rib out, something.... but my money is in your neck.

I broke my neck is 2000 and it was relatively okay ( aside from chronic pain) until 2012 when I woke up one day and couldn't hold a glass of water with my left hand. I could move the arm but it had no strength. Bench went from 800+ to 135 over night. It took 3 months of rehab and anti inflammatories to get it working again.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic