Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Help: Squat Form Tip

G

Grizzly911

Jun 17, 2018
You should keep a neutral spine when performing a squats. It's it's rounded at the top or hyper extended towards the bottom, both will cause potential injury and not be mechanically safe in performing the movements.

You look to be a bit hyper extended in your lower back when performing that squat. You want to draw the bar down with your lats, brace your torson, sit back, and squat.

What he said.

M

Mike A

Jul 14, 2018
You should keep a neutral spine when performing a squats. It's it's rounded at the top or hyper extended towards the bottom, both will cause potential injury and not be mechanically safe in performing the movements.

You look to be a bit hyper extended in your lower back when performing that squat. You want to draw the bar down with your lats, brace your torson, sit back, and squat.

What he said.

Okay. Thank you all so much.

Could the hyper extension be from not bracing the core as hard? I feel like I really try to tighten my lats before the actual squat. Or could it just be the angle of my spine?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Okay. Thank you all so much.

Could the hyper extension be from not bracing the core as hard? I feel like I really try to tighten my lats before the actual squat. Or could it just be the angle of my spine?

The hyper-extending could be from you exaggerating sitting back and "poking" your ass back to much.

You want to brace, then draw the bar down into your traps, and after break at the hips to begin the movement. I think some people over arch their lower back from thinking "chest up" and "sit back" so they puff their chest up/high which makes it easier for them to over arch their lower back.

Everyone has their own ques they go through when they're setting up for a squat or any lift. You have to find what works for you. I think and this may not work for anyone else... I unrack the bar, take 2 small steps to get set, then I brace (think someone's gonna punch me), after I draw the bar down into my rear delts, and finally I think spread the floor as I descend. It's a lot but truthfully most of it falls in line if you're properly set up to begin the lift. So for me it's... Brace, draw down, and spread the floor.

G

Grizzly911

Jun 17, 2018
Mike A, look up some squat tutorial videos on youtube and try to implant the technique into your mind and compare your form to their forms, watch some westside barbell videos.

G

Grizzly911

Jun 17, 2018
Or you can watch Ben Pakulski, squatting was the first exercise he mastered when he started.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic