Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Help: Reps drop fast after first and second set

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011
Alright so I will lay out the scenario, I am doing incline DB presses, I warmup with lightweight for 10-14 reps than I go heavy and try to push out as many as I can so I do 80lb dumbells for 10 reps, but then I do second set and get like 4-5 reps!?? WTf is that,

so my question is do I have to train muscle endurance or something because I have shitty sets after my first one with the same weight, and I have to drop weight sometimes... :/

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
Eat more. what is your diet like:?

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
yeah i would work on muscle endurance for sure. or even though u will hate to do it, drop the weight on your first set so u can go more sets, and work up in weight. only gettin 80s for 10 and then a set of 4 isnt a good workout for ur chest. if ur gonna hit the gym hard and do it right, lose your ego and u will get to where u wanna be. but goin in and doin 2 sets and one of them is a half set is not gonna help u. just like the guys u see in the gym tryin to go heavy and their form is shit, they either end up hurt, or wondering why they arent growing or getting stronger.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Looks like you're slaggin on endurance son, you and your nooby muscles. Get some! (endurance) woot.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Yep your muscle endurance stinks.the only thing that will fix it is time and some lighter weights.I do hill sprints,tire flipping,and heavy bag work for conditioning and endurance

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011
alright i will give lower weight higher reps a try, i usually just put all i got into my first set after warmup and go to failure I guess thats not good.

huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
It all depends on what you are training for. With
sets of 10, you're not going to build alot of muscle
mass. I learned this fact the hard way, but with
sets of 10 you will build up endurance. If you have
a spotter, stick to strict form and when you reach
your max rep, finish off with 2 or 3 negatives.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
You can try doing a pyramid sort of workout to get the muscles used to using more weight. Start with 10 reps, next set is 8, then 6, then 4, then 2, then 1. Usually you do this to try to increase your lifts on bench by increasing the weight each time but it also works well to get the muscles used to more reps.
What I like to do after my chest workout is put 135 on the flat bench and do 3 - 5 sets of 20 reps, burns like a mofo and has really helped my muscle endurance.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^I do the same thing LK, but do sets of 50-1000. ;)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
OP, how long are you resting between sets? Dropping from 10 to 4 on your second set seems off even if your endurance is lacking.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic