Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Help! Having trouble eating so many calories for muscle gain!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Hope you all can help me. I am 5'3 about 134lbs BF low 20's. I have embarked on a "bulking" phase in order to gain more muscle and lean down in a couple of months. My target calories are about 2000, but I am having trouble even making it to 1500. Also, I have already gained about 4lbs in the last two weeks (hoping this is all water). Also, I have tons of energy, feel great, so don't know if it is absolutely necessary for me to take my calories up to 2000/day. If I can gain muscle in the 1500 range it would be great. Also, doing a very clean bulk with typical supplements :) Looking forward to hearing back from you guys! Thanks!

Yadira:eek::eek:

My advice would be to slowly up your calories. You may or may not need 2000 to gain muscle. We are all different so track your cals and see where you go week over week. Adding cals too fast can backfire so be smart about it and bump them up slightly every 7-10 days until you find the sweet spot where you can gain muscle without adding too much unwanted fat.

Good luck. Seems like you have a great attitude :).

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Heres my daily food in take.
Breakfast- 4 egg whites one yolk
1/4 oatmeal made in water

Snack 1 tablespoon natural Peanut butter
1 low sodium rice cake

Post workout 1.5 scoops gold standard whey
1 slice whole wheat toast with 1 tbs natural bp

Lunch 4 oz chicken or ground turkey
3 oz sweet potato plain
3 oz green beans

snack 1.5 scoops gold standard whey in H2O

dinner: same as lunch

snack about 8:30 only if I fall short on calories somehow...some natural peanut butter

FWIW I'm 5'7" and I compete at 150 on stage - I've done a number of cuts on 1700 cals. So to give you some relative numbers - you're trying to bulk on less than I cut on. Granted you're smaller than me, but still - no where near enough to build anything. As a start, if yo'ure splitting your food up into 5-6 meals, get about 30-35 g protein per meal. The carbs you need to increase for sure. An easy way to start that is:

Breakfast: go to 1/2 c oats - that's only about 30g of carbs so you're still on the low side
Lunch & Dinner - up the 3 oz sweet potatos to more like 4-5 oz.

Don't be afraid of vegetables - they will help keep you regular while you're increasing your food intake. You should probably consider including some fiber.

For the PB - make it 2 tbsp instead of 1.

For "volume" increase in stuff you're eating to get this higher calories, another option for carbs is more robust carbs like barley.

Last edited:
Y

yadira0020

TID Lady Member
Dec 1, 2011
I will try and increase slowly, paying attention to how my body reacts. Its difficult for me to eat so much (which I never thought I would say haha) but I will be patient. Thank you all for your suggestions!

elizabethwhite

elizabethwhite

TID Lady Member
Dec 18, 2011
Hey! I just joined. I have been gaining this year..very pleased with gains. Put on great muscle training HEAVY and keeping calories up! You want quality..eat healthy, complex carbs for the most part, a mix of complex and simple carbs with protein before and after training,healthy fats. I drink about 4 shakes a day along with 5-6 meals. I had to limit cardio 3x/week.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Hey! I just joined. I have been gaining this year..very pleased with gains. Put on great muscle training HEAVY and keeping calories up! You want quality..eat healthy, complex carbs for the most part, a mix of complex and simple carbs with protein before and after training,healthy fats. I drink about 4 shakes a day along with 5-6 meals. I had to limit cardio 3x/week.

hello elizabeth! thanks for the input! welcome to the iron den! great to have another competitor join us!

elizabethwhite

elizabethwhite

TID Lady Member
Dec 18, 2011
Thank you for the nice welcome! Glad to be a part of the Den. !!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic