Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hello, starting my fitness journey at 28

D

Dexbasically

Jun 22, 2021
Hello! My name is Dex short for Dexter, I'm 28 5'10 148.5 LBS.
Interested in learning new information and sciences about fitness to get in the best shape of my life :)

I recently read Jeff Nippards body recomp, after starting my first day yesterday eating in a caloric surplus by 10%, his body recomposition guide said I should start in a 10-20% Defecit until 15% bodyfat, and now I'm in a bit of a confusion as to if I'm actually skinny fat or not, should I bulk, Cut, maintenance ? If anyone with experience could help me I'd be super grateful.

body.jpg

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Welcome to the Underground. You came to the right place to learn. Help yourself to the discussions and take notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Welcome to TID @Dexbasically . What does your current diet and training look like? At 145, you need to eat bro.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Welcome aboard. Eat, eat, eat and train. How long have you been lifting?

D

Dexbasically

Jun 22, 2021
Welcome to TID @Dexbasically . What does your current diet and training look like? At 145, you need to eat bro.

Well I trained for like 2 months a few years ago before some crap happened won't get into that, so I gave it up, I was just going to the gym and doing compound lifts 3x8, and I wasn't even doing macros back then, but I'm doing them now and I just started literally yesterday, hit my calorie goal for the first time in probably forever, never realized how little I ate, so calorie tracking is def important to start off as I learned yesterday!
I want to be bigger and leaner like 165-170 and fit, I did incline/flat bench and arms yesterday 3x until failure which I'm guessing is probably not ideal, I need a little guidance.

Diet yesterday, I had a clean calorie mass gainer by Rivalus, Protein Shake from Muscle Milk for 50G's, ate some sliced bread with peanut butter and strawberries, and 4 eggs, 2 yolks, chicken /rice and veggies.

How long have you been lifting?
I lifted for two months a few years ago, just started again yesterday, alot of basketball and swimming as hobbies though since forever.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you are just starting training you may want to up your calorie intake some more, you will be burning your excess while building muscle.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Good job getting cals/macros in check, many of us took years too long to do that

D

Dexbasically

Jun 22, 2021
If you are just starting training you may want to up your calorie intake some more, you will be burning your excess while building muscle.
Thanks, so If I take it up to around 2900-3100, with 20% bodyfat do I run health risks? Or are you saying I should bulk up then cut once I hit my weight goal?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I say figure out what you want to do. If you want to gain weight you’re going to have to eat. I wouldn’t worry about a certain body fat or whatever yet, pack on some good, quality size & then you can switch gears and cut. Notice I didn’t say to just get fat & nasty!
I would train 4 days a week. My favorite split was:
Day 1: chest & bi’s
Day 2: legs
Day 3: delts & tri’s
Day 4: back & traps
Don’t EGO lift! Feel the muscle do the work! 3 exercises x 4 sets each for big muscle groups (12 sets total after a warm up). Small muscle groups I’d probably start at 6-8 total sets using 2-3 different movements. Keep reps 10-15. Occasionally you can drop down to 6 rep range but keep good form. Some may disagree & that’s fine, everyone is different. This is just an idea/starting point, it can be tweaked as you go.

D

Dexbasically

Jun 22, 2021
I say figure out what you want to do. If you want to gain weight you’re going to have to eat. I wouldn’t worry about a certain body fat or whatever yet, pack on some good, quality size & then you can switch gears and cut. Notice I didn’t say to just get fat & nasty!
I would train 4 days a week. My favorite split was:
Day 1: chest & bi’s
Day 2: legs
Day 3: delts & tri’s
Day 4: back & traps
Don’t EGO lift! Feel the muscle do the work! 3 exercises x 4 sets each for big muscle groups (12 sets total after a warm up). Small muscle groups I’d probably start at 6-8 total sets using 2-3 different movements. Keep reps 10-15. Occasionally you can drop down to 6 rep range but keep good form. Some may disagree & that’s fine, everyone is different. This is just an idea/starting point, it can be tweaked as you go.
Thank you very much that helps a ton!

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Well I trained for like 2 months a few years ago before some crap happened won't get into that, so I gave it up, I was just going to the gym and doing compound lifts 3x8, and I wasn't even doing macros back then, but I'm doing them now and I just started literally yesterday, hit my calorie goal for the first time in probably forever, never realized how little I ate, so calorie tracking is def important to start off as I learned yesterday!
I want to be bigger and leaner like 165-170 and fit, I did incline/flat bench and arms yesterday 3x until failure which I'm guessing is probably not ideal, I need a little guidance.

Diet yesterday, I had a clean calorie mass gainer by Rivalus, Protein Shake from Muscle Milk for 50G's, ate some sliced bread with peanut butter and strawberries, and 4 eggs, 2 yolks, chicken /rice and veggies.

I lifted for two months a few years ago, just started again yesterday, alot of basketball and swimming as hobbies though since forever.

Congratulations! I teach college level classes on Fitness and Wellness and will tell you this is probably one of the most important decisions you have made. Sedentary lifestyles are the leading cause of death in not only America but the World. I teacher my students that fitness is a pie divided in three pieces 1. exercise 2. diet 3. rest. All of them are equally important to being fit.

Here is a FREE web site you can use to track you calories, macros and micros. http://cronometer.com

The also have a free phone app where you can scam barcode on packaged foods to track them.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Welcome, DexB!!!!....It looks like u have a good based to work with!!!!...Look forward to watching your progress!!!!U've definitely come to the right board, brah!....Lot's of vets and down-to-earth folks here....Not to mention, great minds to boot!!!!!....Enjoy your stay, man!....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic