Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Hello all! New here some questions!

/2ob

Jan 7, 2018
So an introduction:
My name is Robbie Graft and I am in need of some help with my diet + exercise as well as some general questions concerning things like guessing my body fat % , am I an ectomorph or an mesomorph. etc.
The reason I am asking is because I need to get in tip top shape, more so than I have ever been before march 3rd of this year 2018.

Why you may ask? Well... It's actually not for any selfish reasons. I am donating my kidney to my father in law (or soon to be rather) However... there has been a few setbacks I am not proud of... Which has to do with me. I am the main donor for him as I have O- blood type so im a universal donor, however, after going through intensive testing they discovered I have a little high cholesterol levels and high triglycerides, 257 to be exact. I am 27 year old, and a smoker, they said I need to eat healthier, and exercise more which i'll admit I do alot of pc gaming (PubG, League, etc, etc) So a kind of sedentary lifestyle. As for work I am a overhead crane operator for a steel mill in Indiana, USA. I basically just do alot of walking and jumping on and off trucks to load them not really strenuous or anything 12 hour shifts.

So yeah last month I was told by the docs I have 3 months to basically show them I can change up my lifestyle so there won't be fear of me possibly needing a kidney in the future myself, so I want to actually fully jump start my lifestyle change, which I have done so already by completely quitting smoking, I have stopped smoking for a month now and I have been a smoker since I was 18 when I joined the Army.

I have also begun to change my diet in this last month, I went from pretty much being able to eat whatever I want (pizza, icecream, fast food, 6-8 pops a day, etc, etc) basically If I wanted it, I ate it, I ate like all day long lol. To now eating basically I wake up, make a whole grain muffin with peanut butter, maybe throw in some strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc. Then I also get a glass of chocolate soy milk. If im hungry between then and lunch I just eat on some lightly salted peanuts. For lunch I crack open a can of sardines eat it out of the can, and usually mix in some a handful of the same fruits from above, if im still a little hungry might have a little yogurt. Same thing now til dinner im just chugging water and snacking on nuts. Then for dinner (and this might be where it gets a little out of my hands, but w/e the misses makes) She is trying to help for both me and her dad and has begun buying strictly chicken breasts, turkey ground meat instead of hamburger ground meat. Or chicken ground meat. Been using that for like chilli instead of hamburger meat in the chilli, basically things like that. Instead of hamburger, they are now chicken burgers or turkey burgers etc, and i try to stick with just whole wheat or whole grain bread or buns. With dinner I try to just have some beans and maybe like carrots, or some kind of vegetable with it. Thats it... if I get hungry at all after this just nuts and water for the rest of the night.

So thats my diet lately. any suggestions things like that would be great, I calculated the calories to around 1100-1500 on average give or take. The water helps alot with controlling cravings now and then. The worst was the first week of quitting smoking I chugged sooooooo much water just to keep me satisfied lol.

And now... my excercise... which.. I always felt like I have been in shape? Ok maybe not an athlete or the best looking guy in the gym but you know averageish? didn't know I was so unhealthy, but that could be because ever since I was a kid ive been eating whatever I wanted and always stayed at a same weight, I weight 200 lbs now, and im 6 foot. I will show photos of me when I was around 18-21 in the army, and i never really changed much, but now that Im 27, I still kinda have the same figure not much has changed except not really working out at all in 6-7 years. But I have generally remained the same, minus some muscle obv, but my shape is the same. Which leads me to the question am I a ectormoph? since ive always been able to eat w/e and not really gain weight? or am I a mesomorph because even not really working out, I kinda stay the same, not fat, not super skinny, just... well the same. But when I do workout I make gains/cuts etc very easy, and when I say workout, my workouts aren't even intense.. It's like 60-100 pushups split into sets of like 15-20 at a time and finished in like 10 minutes or so, then I'll do some curls til my arms hurt, then move on to like some squats with the dumbells until my legs are burning and hurts to stand a bit, but i'll do this like 2 times a week or so and still see gains just by doing that little. I also do very little cardio but the cardio I do is where I will sprint as hard as I can for maybe 20 seconds or so, then rest for like 10 seconds, and then sprint again and I repeat this like 8 times, by the end i'm spent, but it only lasts like 5 minutes. Again maybe once a week I do this now?

So obviously I need advice on how to really have a routine or how often I should be doing it etc. Im a complete beginner as far as sticking to a routine, I do this for like a week or two, and then just kinda see im still the same, might get toned up gain a little muscle then I always quit, wait til I got a little pudgy again, and then rinse repeat. But now I need to stick with it, and want to see fast results to see where I can really push myself by sticking to it but knowing im making good results because I have a fear of getting too skinny, even though I have a decent frame, I don't want to lose the muscle in my arms/chest from when I was 18-21 in the army because my chest and arms have been kinda the same since then even without working out at all.

So some pictures to explain what I mean by looking the same:

So I can't figure out how to post them so I attached them at the bottom as jpg. But basically the 16 years old, Robb, me.jpg were all before the army like 16-18 years old. Then 21 years old through til now. Now mind you, this was always going through spurts of doing bare minimum workouts just to kinda maintain a little tone here and there... and then I would quit working out... get toned back up a bit... quit working out, etc. Never really stuck with it. But as you can see when I start to workout I make gains quick, and lose it pretty slow, my body stays relatively the same. Never really hardcore working out or following a routine or anything and mostly pushups.

So my question is this based on the photos below in the attachments, and what ive told you... what is the best way for me and if im a ecto/meso, to get in good shape, and become healthier and get back on track and actually stay on track for the rest of my life with one kidney and more importantly, so I can save a life, They said if I show improvement in these three months, im a go for surgery and can donate.

I believe I calculated my Bmi to around 22-23 and my body fat percentage somewhere around 20-23 aswell... So is it possible to maybe get to like 15% body fat in three months? would that be healthy? They basically said I need to lose some weight, and eat healthier and quit smoking before my retest before im a "GO".

A good routine you think for me? Preferably at home type workouts work best for me, using body weight, or dumbells, etc. I have never been to the gym so if that is suggested, what should I stick with as a beginner etc? Sorry I have so many questions as I have never really given it THIS much thought before to where I want to focus on my diet, quit smoking, and get into an actual routine. I know the basics, I know your supposed to plateau etc, etc, but I have never stuck with a regiment long enough to get to that I suppose? I never had a limit before because I always just got bored and quit before then cuz I would reach that point where I was like eh I look good enough for me I suppose, and would quit. But no more of that, I want to push past that and get real results, change my body from just my "normal" to a more beach like body or healthy body, It would be cool to have a six pack, as I never had one, just like a two or four pack, but never that full blown six pack, so I could use that as even more motivation too. But my biggest motivator is my father in law... so any advice anyone can give me in this journey would be great!

Sorry if this was long or if im not supposed to post this kind of thing here never really have posted on a forum/site especially coming out and trying to be this open but a life is on a line and I not only want to better myself and stay fit and active and build a better body, but to save my father in law and so my kids can grow up having their grandfather and dad around for a long time to come.

Thank you all!!

Sincerely,
Rob

Attachments

• 16 years old.jpg
    16 years old.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 12
  • robb.jpg
    robb.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 12
  • me.jpg
    me.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 21 years old.jpg
    21 years old.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 13
  • twenty two years old.jpg
    twenty two years old.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
  • twenty two years .jpg
    twenty two years .jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 25 years old.jpg
    25 years old.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 12
  • me currently.jpg
    me currently.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 12
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Welcome to TID. Long ass post. You looking to just lose some fat and learn to eat healthier? You don't look like you are 22 - 24% bf. Dropping the fast food and adding whole grains will most likely help your cholesterol issue.

mjbanks

mjbanks

Nov 4, 2015
you don't have to choose between building muscle and doing cardio, keeping a steady-state is enuf for both

calorie count looks good, eat when you're hungry, not when you think about food; high cholesterol has more to do with having low insulin sensitivity, low metabolism, so you might be the middle body type if yoiu're looking at the three types, saturated fats will slow your metabolism down, and things like garlic cinamon etc bring insulin sensitivity up so that you can metabolize cholesterol, the body naturally gets energy from long grains but reducing bodyfat instantly there's a thing called keto where after a month without carbs your body will ketosis energy from fat cells, but that's a lot of stress; if you're going to overeat, eat protein; preworkout and midworkout diet is important to eat healthy, having nutrition while the body is working out; the whole stomach is empty in like 4-5 hours sometimes so breakfast should have glycemic value, but also protein and slow carbs for when your body needs them, else junkfood creeps into the diet; green tea dries me out but i'll have it just before a workout or a date; eggs have good cholesterol; fruits are hydrating; soups are light;

exercise until it's time to take a break;

check with a nutritionist

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I feel like a donation request is coming...
Maybe just my arthritis. Welcome to TID.

/2ob

Jan 7, 2018
Hey guys thanks for the replies, so the main thing is my diet then? Im just assuming my bodyweight is 22-24% based on a rough calculation using a measuring tape and putting the info into a online body fat calculator. I wear a size 34/34 little loose on me but 32/34 fits me just right idk if thats a good way to measure but yeah.

So the main thing is basically eat cleaner instead of w/e I want which I have started doing. As far as eating more protein, is shakes the way to go? Like a whey protein based on soy or something to that effect? Or will I get enough from just the sardines, chicken, etc... because from what ive read and idk how true this is, but you need like basically 1g=1lbs so basically if i weigh between 190-200 I would need like 200+ grams? Or am I ok with half that, like 100g which is more realistic to what I eat considering can of sardines is like 20-25g a chicken breast is like around the same ish, and then some from my veggies and beans, but by the end of the day its around 100-110g give or take.... but I feel like I need to eat double that just to get to 200+ g if thats a thing. But I feel like eating that much more to just get the protein would be over my calorie limit, which I think is around 2500 calories which is why I was shooting for like 1000-1500 to get to a deficit under my base rate or w/e it's called (Sorry noob like I said lol). But thanks for the tips so far guys really appreciate it and the welcome to the forum ive started reading some other stories and trying to incorporate things ive read.

Again thank you all very helpful advice! Oh and @mjbanks I actually talked to the nutritionist that was assigned to my case and she basically said cutting the fast food, eating cleaner, and cutting sodas/pop and cutting my morning coffee would basically be enough, but I felt like I wanted to do more than that and stick to a real clean diet closer to what I guess our ancestors would of had, beans, nuts, fruits, cleaner meats like chicken and fish instead of beef etc. So hoping im on the right track!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic