Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Heat and Bodyweight

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I'm having some issues with the summer heat and maintaining/gaining bodyweight. I changed back into a previous line of work in Dec last year. My lab uses a lot of high amperage, high voltage equipment which puts off a significant amount of radiant heat, therefore we do no have AC units installed as the cost to cool the building would be astronomical. I am in 90-100 degree heat for 6-8 hours/day...not a big deal for many people, but when ur trying to eat every 2-3hrs and hold lean muscle, it gets pretty difficult. I need suggestions from guys who have been in my situation and founds ways to eat and stay hydrated to keep their weight up and stay healthy. No offense intended, but if your a 185lb dude, I don't wanna hear it.

MAYO

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
When I used to work security I had a hydration backpack, I used to also carry around a frozen gallon of water inside of one of those thermo bags to keep it cold during the day. I would also pack oatmeal bars made with protein powders (or chunks of bacon in them on occasion).

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Who keeps locking these threads???

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Ice water....try to keep your core temp down. Eating when you're hot sucks ass.....Maybe also keep your protein shakes cool. It'll go down easier and you can put oats in them for carbs.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. The ice water is a good idea....eating hot food when ur already hot sucks the life out of you. Any whole food meal ideas that don't require heating? Also...anybody ever use any electrolyte formulas, gatorade, powerade, etc?

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I know the feeling, I've actually had to deal with that all last year when I worked outside, I always have a gallon of water - half frozen, then I bring a few quarts of gatorade that I kept in a cooler. i always ate a standard lunch (Protein, carb, veggie), then I'd eat some PB&J sandwiches with a protein shake for my snacks. It's easier to keep milk cold, and the PB&J doesn't go bad in the heat.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Gatorade and ice water along with protein shakes helps as I find it hard eating in hot environments

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
working construction can get pretty rough in the summertime. staying hydrated should go without saying but i also have had problems eating in hot temps,especially with the sun beating down on me all day. i try to keep the gatorade to a minimum because of the sugar content, but they do hit the spot at like 2-3 in the afternoon.
as far as whole foods, i eat a lotta peanut butter, cottage cheese, tuna fish, lunchmeats to avoid hot foods and i have gotten in the habit of drinking more milk and throwing an extra protein shake during the day just to compensate for the lack of whole food protein. a protein shake mixed with liquid egg whites is a nice cold, convenient way to load up on protein when its too hot to eat

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
G2 is a lower sugar gatorade.I think it still has the electrolytes in it.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
What everyone else said. The heat sucks any sort of appetite out of you. That's why I fucking hate the South! (well, other reasons, too) LOL Freeze a few water bottles and the water will stay cool throughout the day as it melts. I find myself sipping on ice cold protein/weight gainer shakes more when it's hot.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic