Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Headaches While At A Calorie Deficit

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Caffeine does help, but I can't have caffeine anymore. Definitely works though.

So I'm pretty sure it was two things:

1. Calories were too low, even for a deficit\

2. Like What FIST suggested, and Torres, is to have something with sugar in it that is not so clean every now and then.

So I'm going to try these two ideas, and put them to the test and see how it works.

Thank you all for chiming in with your replies.

Turbo, if you're cutting, the above will only defeat the purpose of the diet.

To lose fat you've got to be in a caloric defecit, and your cheats must be few and far between, and not that big or you will only gain back what you have lost.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
How's it coming along Turbo? Any progress with the new diet items and macro count?

Thanks for checking in man. Definitely seems to be an improvement. Calories were too low. I'm down a pound too, so I'm on track like I want. Nice and slow. Not really sure what I'm aiming for, just taking it day by day.

Current calories are at 3200. I'm sure as I get lower in weight, I'll plateau and have to drop the calories. But, I'm not really sure what my goal is yet. Maybe just a 10 pound drop? Idk. I'll try to keep posted.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey Turbo.

I too, get headaches when cutting. I am sure mine are caused by low blood sugar. Have you been measuriing and logging everything you eat? I ask, because I am surprised you are getting headaches with 200 to 300 grams of your diet coming from carbs. My headaches come when my carbs get below 100 grams. At 3200 Kcals per day, I am pretty sure your Kcals aren't too low. I am currently cutting at around 2000kcals per day and I am pretty sure I have a higher LBM (and thus maintenance requirement) than you do.

A few things might help.

1. spread your carbs through the day in smaller portions.
2. eat smaller meals more often.
3. consider going keto (reducing carbs to near zero and increasing your fats to 100g per day or so). This will involve a few days of headaches, but when the transition is over, you won't have the low carb headaches to contend with so long as you stay in ketosis.
4. drink plenty of water.

Man, I don't know how you are able to go to the gym and do Karate on 2,000 calories a day. At 2800 I couldn't make it through my workout. I've done Keto before, but it makes me sick, and I lose my strength.

Turbo, if you're cutting, the above will only defeat the purpose of the diet.

To lose fat you've got to be in a caloric defecit, and your cheats must be few and far between, and not that big or you will only gain back what you have lost.

WW, I use IIFYM for my diet.

Also, for the LBM, Shortz and I figured mine is around 195-200 pounds.

So far, everything is working nice. I can notice a difference in my pants and my lifting belt. Current calories are 3200. I'm sure I'll have to lower them at some point if I want to keep losing, but I'm not really sure what my goal is right now. I'm just at a slight deficit. I don't want to mess up my strength.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for checking in man. Definitely seems to be an improvement. Calories were too low. I'm down a pound too, so I'm on track like I want. Nice and slow. Not really sure what I'm aiming for, just taking it day by day.

Current calories are at 3200. I'm sure as I get lower in weight, I'll plateau and have to drop the calories. But, I'm not really sure what my goal is yet. Maybe just a 10 pound drop? Idk. I'll try to keep posted.

You're welcome.

Great to hear that these simple changes worked for you as thought.

Only you can judge whats working best for you by experimenting with things.Glad to see you doing just that.Anyone can make suggestions but you have to decide what works best and I always go for the simplest solutions first,which in many cases is the most direct and easiest route.

Keep it going brother.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Man, I don't know how you are able to go to the gym and do Karate on 2,000 calories a day. At 2800 I couldn't make it through my workout. I've done Keto before, but it makes me sick, and I lose my strength.

WW, I use IIFYM for my diet.

Also, for the LBM, Shortz and I figured mine is around 195-200 pounds.

So far, everything is working nice. I can notice a difference in my pants and my lifting belt. Current calories are 3200. I'm sure I'll have to lower them at some point if I want to keep losing, but I'm not really sure what my goal is right now. I'm just at a slight deficit. I don't want to mess up my strength.

Turbo: When I first started dieting, I was well over 3,000 Kcals per day. I have gradually reduced the amount to the point on some days I am now around 2,000. You are right about it being hard to do my workout on that few Kcalories. But if I want to cut I have to be in a defecit and 2,500 Kcals is where I start gaining weight.

As for a keto diet, the most important thing is to increase your fats dramatically the first week or so, to replace the lost calories from cutting carbs. Then, after your body transitions (which it will over a few days) you can start lowering your fats until you are getting the right amount (for me that is around 100g fats). I think most people fail on the keto diet because they do not increase their fats enough to replace the carbs, and they don't cut the carbs far enough.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic