Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Headache/Migrane

M

Michkid1

Apr 27, 2014
I have been experiencing piercing headaches either during my workout or immediately after. They usually go away after an hour or so. Today during my workout, leg day, it was so bad that I absolutely couldn't continue. I would call it a migrane. I have read that this isn't that uncommon, and I probably shouldn't worry too much, but has anyone else experienced this? Is there any prevention for this? Is it safe to continue my workouts if it keeps happening? Thanks

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I would guess that it has to do with blood pressure either up or down.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Blood pressure is going up, what are you taking before working out?

M

Michkid1

Apr 27, 2014
I take BCAAs. Usually have greek yogurt and muesli about an hour before working out, and whey and creatine afterwards.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Try dropping the creatine. Creatine gives me headaches and back cramps (kidney pain?).

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Where is the pain in your head?

Weird question but if I were to look at you from the side do your ears sit forward of your shoulders?

M

Michkid1

Apr 27, 2014
My ears sit a little behind my shoulders actually. The pain is is on the side of my head running from my temples back behind my ears.

D

doyle75

Apr 12, 2014
are you drinking a lot of water while working out

M

Michkid1

Apr 27, 2014
So the headaches have ceased for now. I've had four workouts, and feel really good. I do drink plenty of water during my workouts and throughout the day. I actually only drink coffee, water, and a protein shake immediately after working out. I did drop the creatine. I'm not saying that is the cause of the headaches, but I feel better without it. Hopefully this was an isolated thing. I am just curious what caused it so I don't have to repeat it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Make sure you are well hydrated before/during your training and keep an eye on your BP. How come you are drinking the coffee after the workout ?! What is your BP currently at, specifically your diastolic pressure?

Mygrafew is a good natural alternative to painkillers and works well for migraines as well as headaches.

M

Michkid1

Apr 27, 2014
My BP is 120/63 as of yesterday, about three hours after workout. I drink coffee before workout, and then later in the day at work. I will check out the mygafew, never heard of it.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I have been experiencing piercing headaches either during my workout or immediately after. They usually go away after an hour or so. Today during my workout, leg day, it was so bad that I absolutely couldn't continue. I would call it a migrane. I have read that this isn't that uncommon, and I probably shouldn't worry too much, but has anyone else experienced this? Is there any prevention for this? Is it safe to continue my workouts if it keeps happening? Thanks
OP
FYI

There is an entity referred to as PRIMARY EXERTIONAL HEADACHE the features are variable but generally include;

1) "Younger age" (20-40 yrs)
2) Bilateral location
3) Throbbing quality
4) Duration ranges between 2-48 hours
5) These patients characteristically have NL vitals including BP, and a unremarkable neurological exam
6) They are more common in patients with DOCUMENTED migraine HAs

The quoted incidence ranges between 1-10% of patients with CHRONIC headaches. The cause is unknown but is generally believed to be due to "Vascular Dysnergy" (Which is an abnormal degree of alternating vaso-spasm and vaso-dilation of the brains blood supply, arteries in particular)

Treatment with Indocin (a NSAID) is usually effective at dosages between 25-150 mg /day.

Your specific treatment primarily depends upon whether a "secondary cause" can be identified such: a Brain Bumor, Arterial Vascular Malformation, Pseudo-Tumor Cerbri, or Cerebral aneurysm.

Now I'm NOT trying to scare you, or am I suggesting some type of neuroimaging study (CT, MRI) should be performed because ALL of these "secondary causations" are rare. However since treatment can be curative, they should be considered especially if the picture does not "fit" clinically.

BOTTOM LINE? Should these HA's persist for more than a few weeks, or you develop new signs or symptoms, your DOC should take a look IMO!
:)
jim

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic