Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

HCG is being pulled from weightloss market

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
WASHINGTON --Federal regulators are ordering several companies to stop selling an unproven weight loss remedy that uses protein from the human placenta. The Food and Drug Administration issued warning letters to seven companies that sell the protein as drops, pellets or sprays. Human chorionic gonadotropin is produced by the placenta and found in the urine of pregnant women. While it is approved for certain infertility treatments, the FDA says there is no evidence it helps reduce weight. Many of the products cited in the warning letters claim to change "abnormal eating patterns," and help people lose 20 to 30 pounds in as little as a month when used with a low-calorie diet, usually around 500 calories per day. Health experts say such restrictive diets can be dangerous. "These products are marketed with incredible claims and people think that if they're losing weight, HCG must be working," said Elizabeth Miller, of FDA's division for non-prescription drugs and health fraud, in a statement. "But the data simply does not support this -any loss is from severe calorie restriction. Not from the HCG." The products are advertised as homeopathic remedies, or highly diluted drugs made from natural ingredients and sold with medical claims. Many doctors view homeopathic remedies as ineffective but mostly harmless because the drugs in them are present in such tiny amounts. But the FDA said the products targeted Tuesday could be dangerous when taken as directed. Homeopathic treatments are based on principles unverified by mainstream science, and often reference mystical-sounding concepts like "vital force" and "healing energy." In 1938, Congress passed a law granting homeopathic remedies the same legal status as regular pharmaceuticals. The law's principal author was Sen. Royal Copeland of New York, a trained homeopath. While regulation of the products is minimal, the FDA maintains a list of approved ingredients that can be used for homeopathic drugs. HCG is not among the approved ingredients. After decades of declining use, homeopathic remedies have revived in recent decades with the burst of interest in vitamins, herbs and other unconventional treatments. The companies cited by regulators have 15 days to respond and detail how they intend to remove their products from the market.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
It is not and never was REAL hcg anyway so just some nutty people looking for the "majic pill".

C

crankigator

Dec 4, 2011
it's always good to hear about a scam getting taken off the market. especially a potentially dangerous one like a 400 calorie diet.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
It's my understanding is that it's not being "pulled" but the FDA are going after companies calling it a "weight loss drug." SO it will still be available

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it is a bunch of BS anyway. silly people. of course you are going to lose weight only eating 500 calories a day :rolleyes:
a very good friend of mine has done it three times, yes, three times. would lose 8-12 lbs and within 2 weeks of coming off of it she would be right back to where she started from. one would think that once would be enough but everybody wants the "quick fix"

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
it's always good to hear about a scam getting taken off the market. especially a potentially dangerous one like a 400 calorie diet.

No scam was taken off the market... Retarded 400 calorie type diets will always be around...

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
And Kevin Trudeau should be prosecuted as well for creating the book he wrote about this diet. Although, I do realize it's been around for quite sometime. I also know a lady (yes, my stalker) who used this same diet and did lose weight. Only her Wine drinking packed it back on rapidly.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
It's my understanding is that it's not being "pulled" but the FDA are going after companies calling it a "weight loss drug." SO it will still be available

Yes that is why I specified weightloss market....the clinics promoting this are going to be out of business, thank goodness...I know too many people who have done this and way too many doctors pushing this and recommending it to their patients.....

I will say I have done this, and the only good thing I got from it is a great source for ancillaries now

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Effect of human chorionic gonadotrop... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1978] - PubMed - NCBI

If any get anything from it while on low cal diets, the "REAL" hcg may help to keep thyroid levels up as thyroid levels always drop with in a week on low cal diets. But IMO it's a bad idea cause HCG stimulating hormones and estrogen and I'd bet a rebound and weight gain later for most! Also high estrogen we know inhibits thyroid function in women , a bit in men to.

and hcg stimulates the hell out of estrogen production in some (dose dependant)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1493373
it's minimal effects on thyroid patients, again the bad outway the good IMO.
waste of time
my .02

Last edited:
Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
This was SO long overdue..............total scam and BS.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Mar 19, 2012
I don't think it's a scam. I know of 2 doctors who distributed HCG as weightloss ibjections back in 1995 and a coworker lost alot of weight from it. And trust.me, she never exercised. Honestly, she went from fat to fine.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic