Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Has anyone tried a high Protein, low carb, low fat diet?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have been experimenting with manipulating my macros and have been on a ketogenic diet (at least in theory) for nearly 3 years, with one day off per week.

Recently, with my coach's urging, I increased the protein quite a bit, which helped with a cut. After that cut was done, I increased my protein even more, but was getting fat, so I tried lowering my fat consumption. It seems to me eating like this, I can eat a lot more calories without getting as fat.

Here are my macros (from memory, so they won't be perfect):
Protein 450g
Fats under 100g, sometimes as low as 75g
Carbs as low as I can keep them, sometimes sub 20g per day
Kcals 2,800

I feel good on this diet, and if I lower the fats even more and lower the protein slightly (so I am getting 2,600 cals per day or so), I lose weight like crazy.

Has anyone experimented with this type of diet? Do you have any thoughts about it? Is it harmful to a healthy adult (my sister, a nurse worries about my kidneys on a high protein diet).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Personally, just my opinion but I wouldn't go high protein, low carb, and low fat. I'd at least do medium fat.

C

Cosmonaut

Jul 29, 2016
Personally, just my opinion but I wouldn't go high protein, low carb, and low fat. I'd at least do medium fat.

That's what I would recommend as well. If you can, try to time your fats and carbs around your workout so you can still perform well in the gym.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Look up Lyle McDonald and his PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast) diet.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks fellas.

I find that during normal workouts I do fine on my ketogenic diet, and now the high protein diet. But on Saturdays when we do 3 plus strongman events (yesterday we did 5) I need some carbs in the morning. Also I feel best when I get around 100g of fat.

But my question is more specific. Has anyone tried a high protein, low carb, low fat diet and what were the results and risks?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I tried it years ago. The risk is from having shit for energy and training suffers. On a cut training stimulus is doubly important to signal your body that you still need all that muscle.

You aren't fat to begin with Woods. Not sure why you would resort to such a measure. Why the rush to cut down? Or am I misreading and it's just something you are trying.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
when I was completely natural...that was pretty much my diet....350grams protein...100 grams carbs...25 grams fat. YES...it works well...but you will lose muscle if you do to much cardio. My avatar is a pic from 1999....( i was a lightweight) and yes...that was my diet...

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
You need the fat on a low carb diet for energy, Protein is good for building muscles but you need something for energy. Carbs or fat for energy, so if you keep the carbs low your fat intake needs to by higher. If your low fat diet, your carbs need to be higher for energy.

Low fat and carbs, high protein can also cause memory loss and other neurological problems. So with no Carbs the body switches over to burn fat for energy. So when you get super lean, have no fat to burn and your not eating fat, the body starts eating its self for fuel. It will eventually use up fat around your organs and brain. Brian is mostly fatty tissue. So once the fat is all gone it will switch to protein for energy that's not good.

follow the link to find out more about this shit, with more detials

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have done it, but not without assistance from certain drugs. Hgh is a must, test would also be important, and taking a omega supplement would also be a must. You're really stressing your body with this kind of thing though.

I carb cycle instead. Increasing fats on non-training days and carbs on training days. Seems to be a good medium.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Its not a rush, and more of an expiriment for the past month. And I have been eating an excess of calories and found I got fat on it! Crazy!
I tried it years ago. The risk is from having shit for energy and training suffers. On a cut training stimulus is doubly important to signal your body that you still need all that muscle.

You aren't fat to begin with Woods. Not sure why you would resort to such a measure. Why the rush to cut down? Or am I misreading and it's just something you are trying.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
when I was completely natural...that was pretty much my diet....350grams protein...100 grams carbs...25 grams fat. YES...it works well...but you will lose muscle if you do to much cardio. My avatar is a pic from 1999....( i was a lightweight) and yes...that was my diet...
I do the same when I cut except my carbs are low with fat around 100g. It works great!

juced_porkchop

juced_porkchop

Feb 15, 2012
I agree here. med-high protein, med fat, low carb. *lots of veggies and fiber

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic