Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Has anyone done a low carb diet and lots of cardio?

R

ruthlezz_1

Sep 20, 2010
Lots of keto proponents claiming ketosis is even better for endurance athletes than typical high carb diets...

Probably the wrong forum to ask, but anyone trained like a cyclist, marathoner, etc. on keto or low carb (eg. less than 100 grams a day)?

FranchizeBBer

FranchizeBBer

Sep 10, 2010
Yes. Just tried it. Did it for two weeks. Had the worst headaches in my life everyday. Got me scared. Was almost ready to call the doctor. Started eating carbs and they
went away. I will never do that shit again!!!!!!

cahemdue

cahemdue

Sep 17, 2010
Yes. Just tried it. Did it for two weeks. Had the worst headaches in my life everyday. Got me scared. Was almost ready to call the doctor. Started eating carbs and they
went away. I will never do that shit again!!!!!!

This. My brain stopped working. Was literally not thinking or speaking straight.

Calories are all that matters. Carb cycling = still comes down to calories. Full time job or travel, carb cycling is about as realistic as religion

Also, ceph, are you accurately counting cals now,Or still over estimating by 250-500 per meal to justify your eating disorder?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
This thread sucks.

Two weeks in and you wanna say the diet is terrible?

I bet you weren't giving yourself enough healthy fat, you were in a severe deficit or you were just low enough to not be in ketosis. Maybe all three.
cahemdue if you were LITERALLY not speaking straight or not thinking then you had a serious problem and it had nothing to do with cutting out carbs. People use "literally" so loosely these days, so I bet you were just a bit foggy. Once you get into the keto zone you think clear as shit.

Post up some stats:
Daily intake of carbs, healthy fats, saturated fats.
Length of diet.
How your keto initiation phase was carried out.
How much cardio you were doing.
When you were doing it and what you ate prior to the cardio.
How many calories were you getting?

Just saying "yeah, low carb sucks for runners" and having newbies read that is just spreading ignorance to the many. The few are the ones who achieve greatness/success when making extreme dietary transitions while pushing their body to its physical limits.

Give more info so this can become a discussion rather than two runners sucking each other's dicks because they didn't know what they were doing and need company for their misery.

B

bthatch

Jul 8, 2016
This thread sucks.

Two weeks in and you wanna say the diet is terrible?

I bet you weren't giving yourself enough healthy fat, you were in a severe deficit or you were just low enough to not be in ketosis. Maybe all three.
cahemdue if you were LITERALLY not speaking straight or not thinking then you had a serious problem and it had nothing to do with cutting out carbs. People use "literally" so loosely these days, so I bet you were just a bit foggy. Once you get into the keto zone you think clear as shit.

Post up some stats:
Daily intake of carbs, healthy fats, saturated fats.
Length of diet.
How your keto initiation phase was carried out.
How much cardio you were doing.
When you were doing it and what you ate prior to the cardio.
How many calories were you getting?

Just saying "yeah, low carb sucks for runners" and having newbies read that is just spreading ignorance to the many. The few are the ones who achieve greatness/success when making extreme dietary transitions while pushing their body to its physical limits.

Give more info so this can become a discussion rather than two runners sucking each other's dicks because they didn't know what they were doing and need company for their misery.

If you are talking about healthy fats isn't that what the Paleo diet is all about? Sorry I am a newbie so still trying to understand all these new trends.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
If you are talking about healthy fats isn't that what the Paleo diet is all about? Sorry I am a newbie so still trying to understand all these new trends.

Not really. Paleo is a mish mash of ideas.

The efficiency at which the body utilizes proteins as an energy source increases as you go in to a deficit. It is what I call "Survival mode". You can easily increase protein and decrease carbs in this state. I don't completely get rid of carbs though. I still use a carb cycling arrangement. This process, however, does take some time. You need to get over the initial hump and gradually decreasing carbs and increasing protein over the period of weeks, IMO, makes the process smoother.

To give you a better idea, the energy burned processing carbs is about 5-15%. Protein is about 25-30%. This is in a caloric surplus to maintenance. In a deficit, protein reaches about 15%, estimated, so that the variation between the two is a max of 10% and the average is probably closer to 5%. That said, we must also take in to consideration the muscle sparing aspects of protein in a deficit, making them even more important. Coupled with moderate to high fat, it produces good results.

B

bthatch

Jul 8, 2016
So are you currently doing this diet?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I did it for 9 months and lost 71 pounds. Bumped my calories up from about 3,000 per day to close to 5,000 mostly fats and proteins. Carbs were kept at 50 grams per day or less. I did one high carb meal every other week for the first few months then one per week. The first 3 weeks were hell. After that and seeing 15 pounds drop after one month I felt great.

Cardio included Jiu-jitsu 3 days per week for 3 hours at a time, punching the heavy bag every morning for 30-45 mins (not on sundays).

Sups were protein powder, multi vitamin, ECA stack

Mondo

Mondo

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2015
I'm Type II (thanks mom and dad. . . lol). So have been basically been on Gironda's Steak and Eggs for years. I have no difficulties performing any physical activities my carb eating friends do and I'm not young. Many people who do very low carb don't take in enough fat calories and thus, lack the energy needed to even get a good workout in.

I've read it from Keto authors and also suggest, that one not have a carb meal for at least two weeks once starting very low carb eating. Give the bod a chance to really get into ketosis. The human body is one of, if not the best, hybrid fuel burning machines on the planet. But it takes it a bit of time to adapt.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic