Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Harley Davidson Questions

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Building a custom harley is nothing but a huge money pit. I have a 2008 custom, tricked out fatboy.. Nothing but the biggest and best parts went on my bike. Thats the way I looked at it... 124 S&S Motor(Diamond Cut Heads).. I would have went bigger, but thats the biggest engine that would fit on my bike. I built my bike to be fast out of the hole, and of course loud as well, so people can hear me coming. But in my opinion, you should find a happy medium with it being fast/loud/ and with performance.. I have air ride suspension on my bike, drag bars, 90% chromed out, vance & hines big radius pipes, bigger throttle body, power commander, 18in Renegade Cheyenne Rims/Low profile tires..240rear, etc. etc. All said and done.. 110HP/118Torque. I could have added Nitrous, but I have a friend who has that on his bike, and all it does is cause problems. His bike is always down or in the shop because of it. I also think he uses it too much, but my god is his road king fast as hell. My bike guy was also contemplating about changing my bike over to a chain driven, instead of belt driven, because he didn't think the belts could handle the power. So what he wound up doing is putting on a wider belt.. 1 1/4". I think the standard on a fatboy is 3/4". So doing that I had to have a custom pulley made too.
I would find a local, well respected shop to do all your work. I wouldn't trust harleys bike techs for any mods.
Im actually thinking about selling it.. Hardly ever ride it anymore, too much construction and pot holes by me. And no one pays attention to bikers..

Last edited:
Reactions: CFM
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Building a custom harley is nothing but a huge money pit. I have a 2008 custom, tricked out fatboy.. Nothing but the biggest and best parts went on my bike. Thats the way I looked at it... 124 S&S Motor(Diamond Cut Heads).. I would have went bigger, but thats the biggest engine that would fit on my bike. I built my bike to be fast out of the hole, and of course loud as well, so people can hear me coming. But in my opinion, you should find a happy medium with it being fast/loud/ and with performance.. I have air ride suspension on my bike, drag bars, 90% chromed out, vance & hines big radius pipes, bigger throttle body, power commander, 18in Renegade Cheyenne Rims/Low profile tires..240rear, etc. etc. All said and done.. 110HP/118Torque. I could have added Nitrous, but I have a friend who has that on his bike, and all it does is cause problems. His bike is always down or in the shop because of it. I also think he uses it too much, but my god is his road king fast as hell.
I would find a local, well respected shop to do all your work. I wouldn't trust harleys bike techs for any mods.
Im actually thinking about selling it.. Hardly ever ride it anymore, too much construction and pot holes by me. And no one pays attention to bikers..
Yeah, nitrous is high maintenance at times, I prefer FI when possible, but that's big money too. Few guys had turbos on their Harley's and VRods and omg, they were so bad ass. Seemed to run good with few problems as long as the tuning was conservative

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, nitrous is high maintenance at times, I prefer FI when possible, but that's big money too. Few guys had turbos on their Harley's and VRods and omg, they were so bad ass. Seemed to run good with few problems as long as the tuning was conservative

Turbos? Never heard of putting those on. What I was going to do was just add a nitrous tank, but it would have just been for looks only.. lol Who knows, I might still do that, if I decide not to sell it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Turbos? Never heard of putting those on. What I was going to do was just add a nitrous tank, but it would have just been for looks only.. lol Who knows, I might still do that, if I decide not to sell it.

Check out some of the vids on youtube with these set ups. The baggers etc are usually just for show, but the guys running the VRods are pushing some insane numbers and they are wicked fast.

This guy was on the 1350 forums and posted a lot. It was an earlier VRod, but was still pretty quick. Yeah, he was a squid, but just wanted to show you the vid.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Check out some of the vids on youtube with these set ups. The baggers etc are usually just for show, but the guys running the VRods are pushing some insane numbers and they are wicked fast.

This guy was on the 1350 forums and posted a lot. It was an earlier VRod, but was still pretty quick. Yeah, he was a squid, but just wanted to show you the vid.

How did I know he was going to pop a wheelie?? :) But you're spot on, baggers, soft tails, etc..more for show. I have a friend who has a v-rod and he loves it. Personally, I don't care for them. Remind me too much of crotch rockets. Im more of a soft-tail guy, but I do like the Ultra Classics. And those aint cheap either.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Not a Harley, but I run with a pack of guys who have Turbo Busa. Mine is not turbo, but i have mod it. I don't like super loud, cause I go on day trips and when your riding 6 hours, the loud ass pipes hurt your ears, even with plugs in. So mine is louder than stock, but not wide open pipes.
I just upgraded my clutch, put SS break lines on it, Air box mod, New shifters, master cyclenders, and some carbon fiber body parts.

I say with out pictures all this bike talk is bullshit....<<<<<PIctures>>>>>

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
This was my bike. Sold it for my Mustang because I became a stay at home dad and never rode. It was a lot of fun and ran really good.

2009NightRod002.jpg

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I forgot about this thread. I had the 585 cams put in and the 110 big bore drop in kit. The bike is a much different bike than before. Most of the torque is where I ride and the HP is respectable.

Reactions: CFM
CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
20151116_112549.png
This is what you ride when you get old.

125/131

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I forgot about this thread. I had the 585 cams put in and the 110 big bore drop in kit. The bike is a much different bike than before. Most of the torque is where I ride and the HP is respectable.

With mine, I just wanted my bike guy to find me a happy medium with the HP, Torque, and of course be loud as fuck.. I have a 123 S&S, and its putting out 110HP, and 119ft lbs of torque. He said he could get more out of it, but they you start sacrificing performance.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic