Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Harley Davidson Questions

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
SO last year I had some issues with my custom bike and decided I was done with problems and bought a brand new softail deluxe (103 ci). Last week I had Rinehart crossback pipes added, a GLS ultimate intake and a Thundermax tuner. In total about $3100 worth of work. This brought the horsepower from 56 up to 73 hp. I can't help myself I'm going have cams added next week. My question is what cams would be best for this bike?

I can already tell owning a Harley is going to be an expensive hobby however it feels like an addiction I cant stop :)

Reactions: CFM
H

hardpr

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2012
i would go with andrews myself. screamin eagle work just fine. im really surprised at 103 ci fi hd motor your only making 78 hp. i was running the rev tech 100 ci for aq few bikes and getting just under 100hp with the mukuni carb and the crane ign

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I thought someone told me that when you use Screamin Eagle parts and have Harley install them, they will cover things under warranty. I could be wrong about that, but I would ask about it and consider that. They told me that they would cover the bike under warranty if I used a Screamin Eagle race tuner when I had my V-Rod. That tuner is actually very good too. The only issue is that it has a larger set of parameters than your typical bike tuner, so it is not only more expensive, but you have to make sure the tuner is very good.

My V-Rod was putting down 114whp when i was done with it. It ran quite well.

R

ROCKETW19

May 21, 2013
SO last year I had some issues with my custom bike and decided I was done with problems and bought a brand new softail deluxe (103 ci). Last week I had Rinehart crossback pipes added, a GLS ultimate intake and a Thundermax tuner. In total about $3100 worth of work. This brought the horsepower from 56 up to 73 hp. I can't help myself I'm going have cams added next week. My question is what cams would be best for this bike?

I can already tell owning a Harley is going to be an expensive hobby however it feels like an addiction I cant stop :)
its not going to stop there bro. I will give you best advise ever. save your cash and get the SE stage 4 kit I ran the race version in my road king 120/119 for 3500 done. if you get the stage 4 street version its less power not sure maybe 10 but it will have warranty. I didn't need warranty my buddy owns one of the badest shops in nor cal,

if you buy part by part you will have a million bucks in the motor when you are done. trust me save and do the full kit you can not beat the SE stage 4 deal.

on my dyna I just put in a SS 124" it has 150/150 but that is fully built with Tman heads ect, that was 9K but I sold my old motor for 3500 so wasn't that bad either

trust me buy the kit. tell me where you live i will tell you who can tune it also that is very important and a lot of power can be lost or made wityh the proper tuner. thunder max is cool but it won't beat my tuner at half the cost.

Reactions: CFM
R

ROCKETW19

May 21, 2013
I thought someone told me that when you use Screamin Eagle parts and have Harley install them, they will cover things under warranty. I could be wrong about that, but I would ask about it and consider that. They told me that they would cover the bike under warranty if I used a Screamin Eagle race tuner when I had my V-Rod. That tuner is actually very good too. The only issue is that it has a larger set of parameters than your typical bike tuner, so it is not only more expensive, but you have to make sure the tuner is very good.

My V-Rod was putting down 114whp when i was done with it. It ran quite well.
Lmao your credibility went out the door when you said Vrod

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
Your running a stock carb on that thing mugz? You might wanna look into re-jetting it at least.
And yes, if you were to upgrade with Sreamin Eagle parts and have the stealership install them, then they will be under warantee.
Rocket is right, the SE kit is the way to go. Added HP Plus the warantee. Can't go wrong there

R

ROCKETW19

May 21, 2013
Your running a stock carb on that thing mugz? You might wanna look into re-jetting it at least.
And yes, if you were to upgrade with Sreamin Eagle parts and have the stealership install them, then they will be under warantee.
Rocket is right, the SE kit is the way to go. Added HP Plus the warantee. Can't go wrong there
He has new bike so it EFI no carb. He has the most advanced auto tuner there is so that's all good. He just needs to pic his parts better.

R

ROCKETW19

May 21, 2013
Admin if you do decide just cam look into woods but I could not tell you what one with out knowing how you ride. Where you want your power. But your gonna pay for labor over and over if you keep adding 1 part at a time.
But if you go that way look into woods tell the shop how you ride like are you a light to light racer or on the freeway doing high speed runs? They can pick the lope knowing that.

Getting you to the right shop is the first thing you need to do. Kinda like finding the right source for gear it's important. Dealership is not the best choice most of the time just depends what you want to do.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Even though Rocket is butthurt from another thread, I agree with him here. The wrong cam can make a vehicle fall on its face, depending on what you want out of it. Some folks go too radical and end up with a cam that likes high RPMs and you lose "streetability".

Some Harley dealers have some good tuners, while others I wouldn't ever let touch my bike. My local dealer happens to have a guy that races and tunes his own bikes and is pretty awesome, but most don't have that kind of circumstance.

Either way, Rocket has you pretty squared away here.

R

ROCKETW19

May 21, 2013
Even though Rocket is butthurt from another thread, I agree with him here. The wrong cam can make a vehicle fall on its face, depending on what you want out of it. Some folks go too radical and end up with a cam that likes high RPMs and you lose "streetability".

Some Harley dealers have some good tuners, while others I wouldn't ever let touch my bike. My local dealer happens to have a guy that races and tunes his own bikes and is pretty awesome, but most don't have that kind of circumstance.

Either way, Rocket has you pretty squared away here.
ha i am not butt hurt but I was waiting on reply what you possibly could have against wilson combat 1911s
I was poking back at you though true.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
ha i am not butt hurt but I was waiting on reply what you possibly could have against wilson combat 1911s
I was poking back at you though true.

I actually did reply to you on that. WC is a great gun, but I think it's overpriced and there are tons of other options that easily compete with WC without the insane price tag. Anyway, feel free to read it and reply if you like. I would be happy to debate more. xD

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Wow, man..... that's a lot of money for those mods. Are you doing all this work through the dealer or is an independent shop charging you this much?

Either way, my CopGlide has the same 103" in it....... 2 years ago I did a Power Vision, Fuel moto intake and exhaust and got about the same result from it - about 76hp...... but I only paid $1200 and the install took 4 hours at best..... you have a better tuner but seriously look in to another shop if they're charging you that much.

As for cams, I just did a set of Woods 777 cams and it made a huge difference. We hit my 100hp goal exactly..... and the whole kit with cams, pushrods, gaskets, and bearings was only $750.... A buddy's shop did the install for me to the tune of $400 including fresh oil in all 3 holes.

Either way, I'm happy I went with the 777s... there's definitely more power down low but now that power doesn't drop off at all. The part nobody talks about though is the sound.... dude, wait until you hear your bike with hotter cams in it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic