Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hard Gainer!

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Back on track, look forward to following your log and how your training come along.

Are you planning to log all of your workouts in here?

Not sure if I'm going to post every single workout..we will see. You asked earlier how much cardio I do..right now pretty much zero.
before April 27 I was doing plyometrics once a week and lots of stairmaster..

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Update...Been tweaking my diet and playing around with an app on my phone...lately my diet looks more like this..
yesterday....fat 107g. carbs 481g. protein 212 g. 3725 calories.
According to this app I should weigh 176 in 5 weeks. Currently approx 168.

Overall happy with my progress since I pretty much ditched cardio at the end of April. Been having great workouts mostly 4-5 days a week.

Putting things in perspective I was 153(5'11") about 15 months ago after a few p90x rounds. I ran into a guy I used to work with and he totally noticed
right away that I was bigger. Just learning to be more patient now and do it right!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I ran into a guy I used to work with and he totally noticed right away that I was bigger. Just learning to be more patient now and do it right!
That's always good, you should take notice of comments like that. Certainly sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
That's always good, you should take notice of comments like that. Certainly sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

Def makes you feel like you're getting somewhere when somebody notices.

One thing I forgot to mention. Went for a physical and everything is fine with me. Apparently my hormones are "normal"

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Update...I changed my grip on incline bench to a more narrow/shoulder width-ish grip..much better for me. The nagging injury hasn't bothered me much and seems a lot better.

Working on slowing increasing my squat and deadlift. I got up to 225 for 6 reps on my squat yesterday. I don't go for 1 rep max on anything.

yesterday was like this...

squats. bar warmup, 135 x 12, 185 x 8 twice, 205 x 7 twice. finished with 225 for 6 and then stripped off to 135 for 10 right away.

Standing calf raise... 3 plates per side to start. worked up to 5 plates per side and drop set down one til one plate no rest between. at least 7-8 reps per. lower weights up to 10-12 sometimes. get a crazy pump and burn but my calves don't grow worth shit! I laugh at how much I was sweating doing calves.

leg extensions..each side independant. 105(per side) x 10, 115 x 8, 125 x 7

did 2,3 and 4 plates per side for 3 sets total on leg press to burn out and threw in some hamstring curls at the end working up to 115 I think.

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Took Thursday off and spent the day with the lady...Had a killer steak dinner and cheesecake dessert at a place called "Gus and Guidos". This mornings weight was 171. something.

Today I did chest and threw in some calves and tris..

10 minutes on stairs to warm up

same calf routine as above..still warming up.

Incline bench..worked up to 135 for 4 or 5 reps...Gotta baby this stuff..
Decline bench same as incline
Incline db worked up to 55 per side
in between chest some tri work with cables and db and bench dips
back to hammer strength incline for chest
3 sets of 12 dips to finish..I think I will start adding weight for this

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
That looks like a nice Friday workout ~ also good to read that your hormone levels all came back as normal.

Hope you have a great weekend MF.

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Saturdays random home workout...

25 minutes warm up/ab routine
pull ups (wearing ankle weights) 10, 9, 8...reverse grip 10, 9, 9
bent over rows 3 sets 95..10-12 reps
stiff leg dead lifts 3 sets 95...12 reps
dead lifts 4 sets 200 x 5...

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Sunday's workout..Shoulders, bi's & calves

standing calf machine starting with 3 pps working up to 5 pps and then super setting back down to 1 pps
upright rows with bar. 60 x 10, 70 x 8, 70 x 7
standing shoulder press. bar, 65 x 10, 85 x 6-8 a bunch of times..lost count
front shoulder raises one arm at a time. 15 x 10, 20 x 9, 20 x 9
side shoulder raise 15 x 10, 15 x 8
various curls for bi's with 30-35's
preacher single arm curls using 25's and 30's super setting back down to 25..at least 5 sets per arm.
calf raise on leg press with toes in/out 185-265 range 6 sets.
dips x 12 3 sets

Off day today. Teaching lazy kids TKD

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I agree completely that hardgainers= not eating enough.

I also dont think you have a real handle on your diet or cals. (Unless you do cardio 6-7 days a week with 90 min sessions).

I say this because I am significantly larger then 5'9 205 10-12%bf you and my caloric maintenance (training 4 days a week), is around 2850. I "bulk" on 3300-3400 cals. This is right in line with most BMR calculators. +/- 150 (Karch Mcardle...etc). I have 50+lbs lean mass on you so unless you are training for marathons, you are not tracking properly.

I am also not a believer in "giant" surpluses. Even on AAS there is a limit to the amout of mass you can lay down. A 500 cal surplus is more then enough to gain without getting overly fat. A properly constructed surplus is one you can run for 4 months (or even 5) and then it will take about 2 months of cutting (gradual) to get body comp back in place. (read: you should be able to bulk twice as long as you cut). And yes, I am a firm believer in food above all will determine the direction of your training. Even on AAS it is important. The rules are just not as critical when on AAS and you can get away with being a little more lenient. But, by all means training naturally can be a razors edge as you approach the out limit of what you body can carry. Without dialing in food, you never get there.

jd66

jd66

May 31, 2012
Hmm..I track my food man. I know exactly how much I'm eating. Since I started this log I have gained about a pound a week. I'm finding that since I have started to actually eat and limited cardio to almost zero, I have no problem gaining. So maybe the title "hard gainer" is not so accurate anymore... It's been an ongoing learning curve. I just know with my frame I have never put muscle on easily.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic