pbtom
What's New?

Hammies

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Tryin to get my hammies stronger and grow them a bit.
Took this vid of my form on the lying leg curls, but now that I look at it, my form is terrible. I think I’m using my hips way too much. This was the 4th set as well and was a bit tired out by then, but still LOL.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
looks like your using to much weight. put less weight on and use full range of motion ie. pull those pads to your booty and stretch your legs at the bottom as much as possible. I set the pads as far out as I can without sacrificing form to get that stretch.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Sorry, I was distracted. What was the point of the video? ;)

haha. Form check really. But i realized that was a bad angle for the vid.

yea @searay i realize now the weight. You also mention full range of motion, however my trainer has me doin the move like i am with short range. He says that is more effective for the muscle and muscle growth.
and go...lol

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
If you really want to target hamstrings, do Romanian deadlifts. Form and execution is very important and it all has to be about the hip drive.

But iso movements like leg curls are very small potatoes in actually working large muscle groups like hamstrings. Much in the same way you can spend all day doing leg extensions and not do what one or two good sets of squats can do.

Just a perspective. ....

noiseboy

noiseboy

Apr 10, 2020
Tryin to get my hammies stronger and grow them a bit.
Took this vid of my form on the lying leg curls, but now that I look at it, my form is terrible. I think I’m using my hips way too much. This was the 4th set as well and was a bit tired out by then, but still LOL.

Yes, I would agree that you are using your hips too much. Focus on driving your hips down and begin by engaging your hamstrings. Try stopping and pause at the bottom, under tension of course and do your best not to use momentum.

I’m also a fan of Romanian deadlifts for hammies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hi @Bova, I use very light weight, supersetting 3 sets, with the 3rd set being only 1/2 the way up. You should notice a difference. Also, I also do deadlifts that are constrained to where you cannot lift it, but you are timing yourself at how long you can hold it up against the resistance. This works on a squat rack that has the bars that allow you to lower as much as possible. I have grown my hamstrings this way. I also split leg workouts with front and back (quads/hamstring & calves).

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
I've always found that raising my knee(s) up a little off of the bench drastically reduces my ability to use that point of contact as leverage and ,consequently, reduces my propensity to raise my hips and reduce tension on my hamstrings. Try a lighter weight, raise your knee(s) and extend your ankle out farther from your hips. Try to do the movement much the same as you would when doing standing single-arm bicep curls (where your hand is above your head and moves towards your shoulder): just as you would keep your elbow stationary and high during this type of curl, you do the same with your knee(s).

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
If you really want to target hamstrings, do Romanian deadlifts. Form and execution is very important and it all has to be about the hip drive.

But iso movements like leg curls are very small potatoes in actually working large muscle groups like hamstrings. Much in the same way you can spend all day doing leg extensions and not do what one or two good sets of squats can do.

Just a perspective. ....

Rdl's /stiff leg dl's for the win, volume volume volume for growth

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Rdl's /stiff leg dl's for the win, volume volume volume for growth

and when you say volume, you mean reps on reps upon sets upon sets right?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic