Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hammer Strength Leg Machines

zackrock

zackrock

Sep 8, 2010
The question I have is on the Iso-Lateral Hammer Strength Leg Press and the Hammer Strength Hack Press. The way these machines operate are they actually working the same muscles in the legs or separate muscles. I have not done the Hack Squat on the Leg Press and was thinking of adding it.

Thanks

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Hammer strength equipment is a great addition to any routine, it allows you to add extra heavy weight in situations where you wouldnt be able to do so alone. Give it a try for a few weeks and evaluate your progress. Just do not let the machines become the bread and butter of your workout. Alot of people make the mistake of substituting machines for squats or lunges which will really minimize the number of muscle fibers activated.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
My gym has the iso Leg press and I like it alot. The iso leg press not only forces you to maintain focus on each leg which recruits more motor units, but also works on an arc which allows for more acceleration which in turn means more force, which is a good thing. I have never seen or used their hack although if it like the Cybex hack I like that machine a lot as well.

Hawk

R

rbtrout

Oct 21, 2010
I frequently finished a squatting session with very heavy leg presses (hammer strength). It's a slightly different feel than the squat and a good change of pace.

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
I like a lot of the HS machines, however I've not found a Hack Sqaut machine that doesn't bother my knees. I like some of the old cybex and Bodymaster machines...

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I use it when I do leg work right after doing squats

Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Oct 12, 2010
The owners of my gym got rid of all the Hammer Strength machines and replaced them with Cybex. Some are better, some are worse. But by far the worse was the leg press and hack squat machines. I can't get in the right position for doing them for some reason. It feels awkward to me, so I'm forced into staying with the squat rack.

S

Shamrockbear1

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2011
well say what you will but Kevin Levrone never squatted apparently wasn't a big fan and built his legs using the leg press conclusion: genetics, gear and training intensity will determine results. Personally Im never going to go pro so whats the point of squatting a lot i do it every few weeks why wreck my knees. I think if you increase volume on the leg press say do sets of 25 with a challenging weight your legs will be killing you....

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How do squats wreck your knees but not leg press?

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
well say what you will but Kevin Levrone never squatted apparently wasn't a big fan and built his legs using the leg press conclusion: genetics, gear and training intensity will determine results. Personally Im never going to go pro so whats the point of squatting a lot i do it every few weeks why wreck my knees. I think if you increase volume on the leg press say do sets of 25 with a challenging weight your legs will be killing you....

Levrone had a badly compressed spine around 95 or so and he didn't squat much after that . However prior to that he was an awesome squatter and generally one of the strongest Pros , I remember an ex-training partner of his saying Kevin was way stronger than him and this guy squatted 700 for a triple . One of his first big magazine articles mentioned how strong he was and that he used weights more akin to the top powerlifters also when he was squatting his legs were mindblowing as witnessed at the 92 Mr O .

H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
I hate the hammer strength hack squat. that little seat back is too short and if i use decent weight I feel like im gonna go up and over it

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm not sure if all the Hammer Hacks are the same but the one in my gym has the foot plate way higher than it should be. It's more like another style of Leg Press instead of being a quad dominant, knees over toes Hack/Sissy squat IMO

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic