Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

H.I.T Training Explained

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
H.I.T., which is an acronym for High Intensity Training, is characterized by a low volume approach of total sets per workout and brief, intense, infrequent workouts for adequate muscle recovery. HIT workouts became popular in the 1970’s through the research of Arthur Jones and developed further by others who simply added their own scientific studies to an already effective weight lifting program.

So who benefits from hit training? It is for beginners in the gym, those trying to lose weight (building muscle is crucial), anyone who has a busy work schedule or advanced bodybuilders or athletes. Do not be intimidated by the name "high intensity”. This simply implies that for a muscle to grow, a maximum effort, your very best effort, must be put forth in order for muscle to respond accordingly. Muscle tissue is built through the following three phase process: 1) stimulation 2) recovery and 3) growth. Hit training provides a minimal amount of stimulation with a lengthy recovery period for maximum growth.

The science of High Intensity Training is not simply to seek after the bare minimum in an effort to swallow the "magic pill" and achieve instant gratification. Before we ever enter the gym, we should ask ourselves the question, "What is the absolute minimum that is necessary for muscular growth?" The point is that what is necessary and adequate should be followed over what is excessive and therefore unnecessary. A simple process that few employ.

The modus operandi of the muscular system is to function as a defense mechanism in a threat/response relationship to exercise. A muscle perceives a threat due to the burden of the weight as it is exercised to failure. It is momentarily weakened and therefore adapts to the demands of the burden by multiplying muscle fibers previously weakened. The muscle strengthens because it assumes it will encounter the same burden again and must therefore conquer the threat. A minimal amount of work out sets are required to provide adequate stimulation. An inadequate recovery period, such as a high volume approach, only prolongs the recovery cycle and leaves the muscle in its weakened state. When progress is not recognized on a weekly basis then what follows is an unrecovered muscle from its previous workout.

B

bigdave1967

Nov 18, 2011
I've been using high intensity, low-volume in my training since 1995. I've gotten bigger, stronger and leaner as a result! I spend about 45-50 minutes working out, and only a few days per week, and I make much better progress than when I used a high-volume approach!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic