Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Gym Shopping

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What do you look for in a gym? Something there you can't do without? Do you prefer a palatial franchise or a dungeon? Share a bit about your gym!

I'm asking because I first started at a yuppy gym (Atlantis). Then I moved on to a gym with a lot of competitive power lifters and I thought it was pretty bad ass. Then they started adding new machines to attract new customers (read: dbag high school kids) and now they're running a yoga class. Not asking for a lesson on benefits of yoga, just saying I don't wanna go to the gym for yoga... I go there to lift.

So I just went and signed up at a total dungeon that is about a ten minute drive from where I work. Serious business going on in this place...

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Bro as long as they have the weights that I can push, they can have a damn ballet class for all I care. I don't pay any attention to what they do unless there is a little ass walking around (Female that is, assholes ;-)) I will take a look but then back to the weights.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I work out at 24hr fitness because it's close. However, I wish this was not the case. It's often far too crowded to get anything done in a timely manner. My workouts are routinely 2 hours long and have a lot of rest between exercises because I'm waiting for machines. It's the only place I've had people decline to let me work in with them. Wish they wouldn't have closed the Gold's I used to go to. I may switch over to a smaller gym that my buddy runs who is a personal trainer. He says nearly all of the guys that workout there are competitors and it's "invite only" type membership. Sounds like a great fit, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I know for a lot of guys it comes down to "chalk and chains"....most large chain gyms do not allow either one. I for one love to have chalk available. It really saves my hands and gives me that extra grip I need. I used to use gloves until I realized I could actually put up more weight without them (especially on pull exercises).

His Grizzness

His Grizzness

May 18, 2011
I work out at 24hr fitness because it's close. However, I wish this was not the case. It's often far too crowded to get anything done in a timely manner. My workouts are routinely 2 hours long and have a lot of rest between exercises because I'm waiting for machines. It's the only place I've had people decline to let me work in with them. Wish they wouldn't have closed the Gold's I used to go to. I may switch over to a smaller gym that my buddy runs who is a personal trainer. He says nearly all of the guys that workout there are competitors and it's "invite only" type membership. Sounds like a great fit, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I know for a lot of guys it comes down to "chalk and chains"....most large chain gyms do not allow either one. I for one love to have chalk available. It really saves my hands and gives me that extra grip I need. I used to use gloves until I realized I could actually put up more weight without them (especially on pull exercises).

You must have asked in the wrong manner. Or taken "no" a little better than I would have. ;)

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Smaller gyms that aren't; too crowded at any particular time of the day suit me. I hate waiting for a spot especially when I want to cruise through a routine in less than an hour. I prefer the places where free weight benches out number the machine benches and where the power racks out number the smith machines.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Smaller gyms that aren't; too crowded at any particular time of the day suit me. I hate waiting for a spot especially when I want to cruise through a routine in less than an hour. I prefer the places where free weight benches out number the machine benches and where the power racks out number the smith machines.

"what's a power rack?"....is the response you'd get from the majority of people who frequent my gym. Half probably don't even know what a deadlift is....or would tell you it's something to do with zombies

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic