Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Growing Glutes

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I've had really good results on my glutes this year doing abductor, cable kick back, but blaster machine and lunges.

I gave up on squats because my knees started having days of joint pain afterwards..... I'm just getting old I guess.

Type-IIx

Type-IIx

Mar 24, 2022
Step ups (barbell) provide the greatest stimulus for glute musculature according to sEMG. Lunges work great. Both are arguably advantaged by also developing the quads. Banded & weighted glute bridges (combined) are the most direct stimulus, but present a very small moment arm; so they have to be loaded heavy and are a PITA to set up.

B

Bomb10shell

TID Lady Member
Aug 30, 2022
Step ups (barbell) provide the greatest stimulus for glute musculature according to sEMG. Lunges work great. Both are arguably advantaged by also developing the quads. Banded & weighted glute bridges (combined) are the most direct stimulus, but present a very small moment arm; so they have to be loaded heavy and are a PITA to set up.
What about single leg leg press instead of bb step up?

Type-IIx

Type-IIx

Mar 24, 2022
What about single leg leg press instead of bb step up?
Serves mostly to stretch the quadriceps for some added hypertrophy benefit (quadriceps see slightly greater hypertrophy with contractions performed to a long muscle length) and to prevent lumbar spine rounding. Not really much of a glute stimulus.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Have you tried leg press with feet high and med/wide on platform? More stretch towards hips and less on knees biases glutes alot more. You can go heavy and high reps, I think it's very under rated!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Step ups (barbell) provide the greatest stimulus for glute musculature according to sEMG.
Just curious whether use of a barbell vs. holding dumbbells is a significant difference for the step ups. To be honest, step ups with the barbell taxes my balance, and I feel like I've got better control while holding DBs. Any thoughts?

jshredz

jshredz

VIP Member
Nov 14, 2012
Just curious whether use of a barbell vs. holding dumbbells is a significant difference for the step ups. To be honest, step ups with the barbell taxes my balance, and I feel like I've got better control while holding DBs. Any thoughts?

The reason the barbell provides better glute activation depends on where it sits on your traps.
By sitting the barbell farther back you cause more glute stimulation.
But it doesn't matter how good an exercise is if you're not comfortable performing the movement.
Flex your glutes in between your sets and it should help

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013

I too feel better in control with dumbbells doing step ups. Probably just a personal preference for most and body type i would imagine.

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
I too feel better in control with dumbbells doing step ups. Probably just a personal preference for most and body type i would imagine.
I don't have a personal preference about control since I use so small weights or weights at all. But my opinion is this. Dumbbells are closer to the center point of gravity, which makes it more balanced ( if you are hanging the DB's on your hands). And you do balance them not to engage in any swinging motion, so that doesn't make it unbalanced, which could happen if they were hanging on some kind of robes or chains.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Just like any other muscle group glutes fall into genetic predisposition.

I don't or I should say I can't do legs like I used to years ago. Had a really bad motorcycle accident broke my leg in four places and squats just are not the same anymore. I'm not a super big guy but my quads were huge to the point where people that knew me here in town called me quadzilla. My quads way overpowered everything else super deep squats super deep hack squats Bulgarian lunges etc etc and no matter what I did I can't grow an ass to save my life. I would definitely wish I had more meat back there. But narrow scrawny ass runs in my family I guess and I'm stuck with it.

Now the question is are you and have you been training to your full potential?? And that's one of those questions that truly cannot be answered by anybody but you. Stick with what you're doing now with all the tips and videos you've seen and give it 12 to 16 weeks and see if you notice a difference if not change the routine slightly and try it again.

B

Bomb10shell

TID Lady Member
Aug 30, 2022
Just came across this. Hope this helps too!
SmartSelect_20221028_060607_Instagram.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic