pbtom
What's New?

Ground Cacao: Anyone try it?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I drink waaay too much coffee and at 52 I've got BP issues which are not helped by 4-5 20oz coffees in a day. I have used Coffee and Chicory blends (Cafe' Du Monde) but have been seeing ads for brewed cacao more often these days. Anyone here tried it? I like 2cream 1 sugar these days since black is a no go for my old gut.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Wouldn't that be like a hot chocolate?

Reactions: blm
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
It's not cocoa powder, more like ground raw cacao beans (which are refined into cocoa).

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I have tried it and I didn't like it. Even trying to sweeten it up and add cream to it it's so dark for me it was undrinkable.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I’ve tried it. It’s bitter and takes some getting used to. Try adding a tiny bit to your coffee then slowly increasing the cacao while decreasing the coffee. It may be better with cream and sugar, I’ve only done black.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I drink waaay too much coffee and at 52 I've got BP issues which are not helped by 4-5 20oz coffees in a day. I have used Coffee and Chicory blends (Cafe' Du Monde) but have been seeing ads for brewed cacao more often these days. Anyone here tried it? I like 2cream 1 sugar these days since black is a no go for my old gut.
How the hell do you drink 4 or 5 20 oz coffees a day… holy hell that’s a ton of coffee and caffeine. That’s essentially a gallon of coffee a day… I’ve never tried the brewed Cacao, but coffee is the go too for the morning.

What coffee are you drinking? Depending on the brand and roast level and where the beans are sourced from will determine stomach and gut issues. I have issues too.

Surprisingly, the Nescafé they serve in Europe, zero issues with that coffee and it’s delicious for instant coffee. So weird.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
1699476270710.png

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Try a brand that is called Organo coffee, reason why coffee messes with your gut is because of the mold, and processing chemical in the coffee, some have heavy metals, and fermaldahide. I had problems too, and heart burn and switched and now I can have black coffee with out problems.

check it our

OMS

Attachments

• IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 25
MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Not what you are asking but I have been using mushroom coffee for a while now.
I think the brand is everyday doze or something like that. Only complaint is its expensive I think.
One cup a day, have not made real coffee at home for a while now.
I use 2 tablespoon of some oat milk creamer or similar. I love it.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Try a brand that is called Organo coffee, reason why coffee messes with your gut is because of the mold, and processing chemical in the coffee, some have heavy metals, and fermaldahide. I had problems too, and heart burn and switched and now I can have black coffee with out problems.

check it our

OMS

I went down that rabbit hole a few years ago after hearing about mycotoxins from mold. I watched a JRE podcast where the guy talked about it. Most of the studies I found that said mycotoxins were a prob were observational studies which are not very strict and do not take into consideration many factors. On the flip, randomized clinical studies I looked at found mycotoxins from mold in everything from coffee to fruit juice ect. BUT...it was at such a low level it posed no problem for 99.9% of people. Those folk very susceptible to them or that had severe health probs that were exacerbated by anything were at risk but for the majority our body can handle a wee bit of toxins.

We do it every day. When you go outside in a crowded you breathe in high amounts of all sorts of petroleum toxins. After a rain you breathe in massive quantities of spores from fungus and mold.

I say this not to be argumentative but it really kind of freaked me out. In randomized controlled studies coffee has been shown to be very good for you. 15% lower risk of cancer and heart disease, helps with high blood sugar (minimally). Lower risk of dementia and Alzheimer's, and a potent anti inflammatory.

I too had probs with heartburn. Oddly dark roast coffee has less irritating acids than medium or blonde roast from what I read and I can drink it black with no probs. Milk helps and my mom uses a tiny bit of baking soda which does somewhat change the flavor or texture or something to me.

Now back to original topic.

I tried the cacao coffee. I wanted one without sugar or added fat as I like black coffee. I also like bitter. It was not pleasant for me. I mixed it half and half with coffee and that was pretty good. My wife loved it with whole milk and stevia, but that just tasted like a dark hot chocolate.

Also tried the mushroom coffee, I liked it. Not as much as coffee but it was good and shrooms are good for you i think. But I am cheap and it is about 2-3X $ as much as regular coffee.

Sorry for the long post. I love coffee, I look forward to it every day, so I geek out a wee bit.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Ended up talking it up to my brother lol, who then bought it so I was able to try his.
It was great with a splash of Oatmilk or Half-Half but I agree it tasted like dark hot chocolate.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic