Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Greta Thunberg?...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
NC, why is there acid rain?...And do u think it can effect the earth in an negative way?...Just asking, my bro....Not wanting to start an pissing match...

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I purposely didn’t get political because then it turns in a cascade of other things and ad hominem attacks. It took hundreds of millions of years to store all of that carbon, unleashing it in a century is an extremely abnormal event.

Talking about how this continent used to be here or this used to be an ocean is disingenuous to the fact that those changes took place over a much greater period of time.

I’m not here to argue about electric cars or whatever else because I lack the expertise to do so. But why is everyone so protective over the use of fossil fuels? It’s a stupid, stupid way to power things. It’s inefficient, dirty, and requires drastic changes to how our earth functions. Surely we can come up with a better way then lighting a constant fire to move our cars? I highly doubt we would engineer the internal combustion engine today. We haven’t moved on very far from whale oil in the aggregate of tech.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Also who is trying to move the economy towards clean energy? Have you seen the subsidies we pay fossil fuel companies?

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
Being an old submariner, I am in firm belief that if we really wanted to fix this, we would do as TG just mentioned, NUCLEAR POWER. If people actually understood it more, it would be a first choice to replace everything else we use with a few exceptions.

What I dont understand is that we also have another fix that is all natural and safer than all the others...the OCEAN. the currents of the ocean are never ending, why are we not putting turbine generators into the ocean just the way we use a dam to move water over them and create power? The currents would forever move water over the turbines and there ya have it, constant power. This isnt hard, wire, magnet, relative motion between the two, you have electricity... Ok that was basic but thats all there really is to it. Ocean tides rise and fall.... In Juno Alaska the tide rises and falls 30 plus feet daily. Why are there no turbines harnessing this natiral safe power??

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller Bueller

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Good night, Nuclear power scares the bejesus out of me!...But I understand what u are saying...The ocean turbines, yeah, good question...I would almost bet, if I were a betten man, that some rich guy has tried it or better yet, it could be being squashed...

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
I purposely didn’t get political because then it turns in a cascade of other things and ad hominem attacks. It took hundreds of millions of years to store all of that carbon, unleashing it in a century is an extremely abnormal event.

Talking about how this continent used to be here or this used to be an ocean is disingenuous to the fact that those changes took place over a much greater period of time.

I’m not here to argue about electric cars or whatever else because I lack the expertise to do so. But why is everyone so protective over the use of fossil fuels? It’s a stupid, stupid way to power things. It’s inefficient, dirty, and requires drastic changes to how our earth functions. Surely we can come up with a better way then lighting a constant fire to move our cars? I highly doubt we would engineer the internal combustion engine today. We haven’t moved on very far from whale oil in the aggregate of tech.

Dammit man, quit giving in and argue your point..... :)
You are intelligent and well spoken. This is how lively debates are brother. No one will hate you because you stand your ground, regardless of whether we agree or not. Thats the fun of this shit, we all have different views from some level or another.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I don’t know the answer to that either. I don’t believe they’ve built one in America in something like five decades. I know the one very close to me is currently in the process of being decommissioned. Only two things that come to mind would be fossil fuel companies not wanting the free competition or their location (at least near me) of them being directly on the ocean and being subjected to natural disaster I wonder if we put some resources into it we could create more self contained systems that didn’t require ocean water to exist. Definitely something I wouldn’t mind seeing explored.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Dammit man, quit giving in and argue your point..... :)
You are intelligent and well spoken. This is how lively debates are brother. No one will hate you because you stand your ground, regardless of whether we agree or not. Thats the fun of this shit, we all have different views from some level or another.

I can only argue so well from my phone holding a five month old. And while
You are being cordial “the shut up libtard” crowd is always right around that bend.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I don’t know the answer to that either. I don’t believe they’ve built one in America in something like five decades. I know the one very close to me is currently in the process of being decommissioned. Only two things that come to mind would be fossil fuel companies not wanting the free competition or their location (at least near me) of them being directly on the ocean and being subjected to natural disaster I wonder if we put some resources into it we could create more self contained systems that didn’t require ocean water to exist. Definitely something I wouldn’t mind seeing explored.

Look into Teslas' idea's...He supposedly had the energy problem solved...See what u think...

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Also who is trying to move the economy towards clean energy? Have you seen the subsidies we pay fossil fuel companies?

I can get significant tax credits for installing solar panels on my home. If solar was such a good deal, why would the gov't need to create incentives to do it. The gov't gives out all sorts of incentives for green energy R&D.

I've always heard that oil companies get massive subsidies. They may, but it's never been clear to me how that works, and how it's not any different from any other corporate welfare. I don't approve of it for fossil fuel, or anything else, especially Elon Musk.

fossil fuels are not entirely clean. Obviously coal combustion is not clean, but natural gas combustion is very clean, and is energy dense, and relatively easily portable. I'm not against green energy, but it needs to compete on fair footing with everything else.

In my town, the city bus fleet, and other fleet vehicles run on natural gas. So I know that's not exotic technology. I wonder why auto manufacturers and the gov't hasn't pushed for LNG infrastructure, and natural gas vehicles. Would reduce smog, we have tons of it, and it's cheap. I'd rather give money to US fracking workers that towel heads over in the Middle East.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Look into Teslas' idea's...He supposedly had the energy problem solved...See what u think...

Tesla has some great engineering I wish people would stop focus on Elon Musk’s “brilliance” though not only did he not found the company if you look into it he wasn’t even an investor/employee/engineer until they had designed their original model. Money and lawyers and now a second round employee
Is the “founder”

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
You are being cordial “the shut up libtard” crowd is always right around that bend.

*LOL*....Yeah, TG will come in and blow it clean out of the water!...He's tough!...He is sharp as a tac!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic