pbtom
What's New?

Grappling with Weight lifting?

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured it involves training so here it is:

After almost 15 year lay-off I decided to started BJJ training again.....more just to....be ready in case something had to go down (hopefully never though). One thing I was having trouble with is finding a way to mix both weights/grappling and see if anyone can suggest something that worked for them (full body, half body, etc) to combine BJJ/Weights. Here is my schedule:

I train BJJ Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun

Weights I plan to train 3 on 1 off:

1 back/chest-Heavy (8-10 reps)
2 legs - Light (15-20 reps)
3 Delts/arms.... Heavy
Off
4 back/chest light
5 Legs Heavy
6 delts/arms Light
Off

Now being 51 (52 soon) I'm just want to look really good naked not trying to get "huge" like my younger days, I'm in decent shape 194-197 lbs.... 13% body fat (can see abs a little blurry but they are there) would just like to clean up my diet and get to 9%-10% or when I can see good muscle separation everywhere, plus would like to see some muscle gains. I just not sure if the weights are to much work or if anyone thinks this is good or even suggest something totally different!

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I run a BJJ academy. I've been training Jiu-jitsu for 20 years and lifting for over 30. To be honest at 44 years old I have problems training hard in either more than 3-4 times per week. Typically I'll teach BJJ 3-4 times per week (adult classes, I have one of my blue belts teaching the kids classes and another blue teaching womens only classes) and train with weights 3 days per week. Any more than that and I start to burn out. Typically I'l teach and roll Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and hit the weights Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Or sometimes drop a day from weights depending on how I feel.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would drop the frequency of your weightlifting if you're training BJJ. I'd suggest 3x a week. You could do push/pull/ legs or you could do a DL Squat/ Press/ Accessories.

BJJ really takes it out of you and so you don't want to burn out or worse... get injured.

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, in the back of my mind I figured the weight workouts would be to much, how about just doing band exercises (no weights just bands) on my light days, you fellas think that is still to much? I do like that DL Squat/Press/Accesories layout BI.

I can't believe how much grappling/BJJ has evolved/grown over the years!! Again thank you for the feedback fellas!!

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Also consider training for athleticism and speed vs “show muscle”. Drop a heavy “Delt/Arms” day in favor of body weight day (Chins,Pushups,Ropes,Dips)

Im a year behind you and recently got back into Mountain Bikes. I changed my Legwork and Focus dramatically from bodybuilding to functional. I’m stronger faster and more aggressive on the bike and I really don’t miss the size.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For BJJ, I recommend not doing max effort work (risk/ reward). You want speed, endurance, and volume work.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'll typically keep my reps on most exercises in the 12-15 range. This seems to be the sweet spot for seeing results without getting hurt for me. I also use dumbbells for most things now vs barbells. Example of a typical chest workout: (not including warm-up sets) Incline dumbbell bench 3-4 sets 12-15 reps with 65-85lb. Flat dumbbell bench 3-4 sets 13-15 reps 75-100lbs. 3 sets of dumbbell fly 12-15 reps with 25-30. Maybe finish with a set of pushups 30-50. Lots of stretching before the workout and between sets.

Yeah I know, its not much weight or work. At this point in my life I'm not trying to be the biggest, strongest guy in my little town. I'm recovering from injuries, car wrecks and other things.

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Thank you all..... this really helps me set up a good workout plan!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic