Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

God Bless Texas

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I get your point but thats like legal cannabis in California.
Federal felony but business is thriving.

have not read the new law but it might give options to build your own suppressor Texas legal with no paper work.
Except dispensaries aren't federally licensed. Every gun store is operating under the authority and direct supervision of the United States government and have their books, inventory, and serial numbers audited. They can take a hands off, don't ask don't tell stance on weed, the ATF would have to become complicit in allowing FFLs to violate federal law.

This does however mean you could make diy suppressors without any fear of local authorities. Even something as simple as oil filter suppressors.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Here is what they law basically says:
  1. It repeals the state law criminalizing suppressor manufacture or possession outside of regulation under the National Firearms Act.
  2. It establishes and legalizes a class of made-in-Texas suppressors that must be manufactured and/or sold within the state from Texas-made parts. The silencer must be stamped “Made In Texas” and must remain in the state. It would then be exempt from NFA regulation. That means no forms, background checks, $200 tax stamps or year-long waits for government permission.
  3. Finally, the bill provides a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.
I remember Kansas did something similar and the person making the suppressors and the customers who bought them were arrested by the ATF and convicted. They appealed it to the SCOTUS and it was kicked back. No doubt the ATF will be crawling all over this one. They say the Texas bill is better than the Kansas bill but imagine being the the 1st example for the ATF.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Except dispensaries aren't federally licensed. Every gun store is operating under the authority and direct supervision of the United States government and have their books, inventory, and serial numbers audited. They can take a hands off, don't ask don't tell stance on weed, the ATF would have to become complicit in allowing FFLs to violate federal law.

This does however mean you could make diy suppressors without any fear of local authorities. Even something as simple as oil filter suppressors.

Not sure how that would be for a company only selling suppressors.
Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
The oil filter suppressors could easier to do and with no issues as long as its in Texas.
Probably a bunch of wishful thinking on my part.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Not sure how that would be for a company only selling suppressors.
Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
The oil filter suppressors could easier to do and with no issues as long as its in Texas.
Probably a bunch of wishful thinking on my part.
Turning out oil filter suppressor adaptors is really easy. And having one in your home or vehicle won't be a problem which is nice.

Making a diy round suppressor wouldn't be terribly difficult in general either. A tube and a stack of baffles isn't exactly rocket science. Even if I didn't have a lathe or tools I could probably get everything needed to make one up including tools for a couple hundred bucks.

Probably the best thing about this is you could defend your home and not cause permanent hearing damage to your family without a felony charge or paying a ridiculous amount for a tax stamp or have to wait for it.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Turning out oil filter suppressor adaptors is really easy. And having one in your home or vehicle won't be a problem which is nice.

Making a diy round suppressor wouldn't be terribly difficult in general either. A tube and a stack of baffles isn't exactly rocket science. Even if I didn't have a lathe or tools I could probably get everything needed to make one up including tools for a couple hundred bucks.

Probably the best thing about this is you could defend your home and not cause permanent hearing damage to your family without a felony charge or paying a ridiculous amount for a tax stamp or have to wait for it.

In Norway (when I lived there) you had to get approved for every single gun you bought.
You had to document your need and self defense was not one of them.

But suppressors you could buy over the counter.
No big deal.

here its almost opposite. I think the people in charge watch too many movies, its like they think only assassins' use suppressors.
I have a couple of SBRs. one is a 7.5" piston driven .223.
Shooting it without the suppressors sucks.
the 8" in 300black out is very quiet with subsonic ammo suppressed.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
In Norway (when I lived there) you had to get approved for every single gun you bought.

No big deal.

here its almost opposite. I think the people in charge watch too many movies, its like they think only assassins' use suppressors.
Their opinions on guns is entirely created by movies and shit that they come up with in their heads.

My carry rounds are hot 10mm from underwood ammo. It's still louder than a firecracker through a can. If I had to use it in the house, everyone is going to have perforated eardrums.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Hey, bro....I grew up with a gun in my hand. My grandfather got us gun and holster sets when we were very small. Grew up with BB guns and pellet guns and shot at targets in our back yard, we had a huge back yard and lived in the country. I use to throw up cans and shoot them with a pellet rifle and gradually progressed to a .22. I have over 40 guns in the house. Half of them were left to me by my father after he passed. Here in Texas we love our guns. I carry my .40 cal to work every day and have been a CHL holder since the law was passed in 2015. However, I do not hunt. Mine ae only for personal protection. My wife is also a very proud CHL holder. She is a damn good shot too with her .40 cal. They could not own guns in Argentina except for criminals and government

Don't I know it, friend!!!!....I grew up hunten and fishen with my evil step-brother!...We had a BLAST, literally!...Re-loaded our shells(pistol, shotgun, and rifle),religiously and neither of us having a shred of religion!!!!...Gave it up years ago tho and haven't looked back, yet?!....

P.S. U ever been fishen with homemade M-80's?!...haha....

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Seems like the law also says no parts can be used from another state and MADE IN TEXAS must be stamped on it. The oil filter
Don't I know it, friend!!!!....I grew up hunten and fishen with my evil step-brother!...We had a BLAST, literally!...Re-loaded our shells(pistol, shotgun, and rifle),religiously and neither of us having a shred of religion!!!!...Gave it up years ago tho and haven't looked back, yet?!....

P.S. U ever been fishen with homemade M-80's?!...haha....

As strange as it sounds, there are still quite a few counties in Texas that are "dry." You can't buy alcohol there of any kind. The small town I grew up in, everyone went to the Baptist Church every time the doors opened. Black folks still lived on the other side of the railroad tracks. The county Sheriff was involved with my neighbors in boot-legging alcohol. We use to watch the truck pull up and unload cases of beer into a big childs playhouse. Then watch pickups come in and take cases of beer. Our neighbor owned one of the counties biggest businesses. These places are the majority in Texas. Nothing has changed. People still love their guns and the bible. They also love their beer, despite religion preaching againt it. Hell that is why they go to church.

Of Texas' 254 counties, 5 are completely dry, 196 are partially dry (meaning they only sell beer and wine),and 55 are entirely wet. The vast majority of entirely wet counties are in southern border regions of Texas near Mexico, or in the south central portion. Of course Houston, San Antonio and Austin are wet. You still can't by beer and wine until after noon on Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Of course all of these laws are based on the Southern Baptist stronghold on Texas. To date, many of the cities in Texas still have a ban on public consumption of alcohol. In Dallas country, parts are dry and parts you can only sell mixed drinks in resturants and night clubs that have a food and beverage permit.

DssrV95XcAEO2Vb[1].jpg

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

No big deal.

Back in about 1999, I managed a major nigh club in Miami. We were very close to the beach in North Miami Beach. A guy who one of my bouncers knew well showed up with some guns. One of them was a MAC 11 with a silencer. We went out to the vacant lot beside us to test it. Sure enough it was full auto and the silencer worked. Not exactly silent as the bolt on a full auto make quite a bit of noise. My bouncer paid $300 cash for this. Not even a serial number on the gun. I wanted it but could only imagine the hot water I would be in if I got pulled over as I frequently did leaving work to go home.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
I get your point but thats like legal cannabis in California.
Federal felony but business is thriving.

have not read the new law but it might give options to build your own suppressor Texas legal with no paper work.
I am sure you can make your own suppressors with a 3d metal printer and the proper design for the particular gun you want to make one for. As the price of 3D metal printers come down it can become a simple matter to make your own suppressors (only where it's legal to do so I may add).

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I am sure you can make your own suppressors with a 3d metal printer and the proper design for the particular gun you want to make one for. As the price of 3D metal printers come down it can become a simple matter to make your own suppressors (only where it's legal to do so I may add).
That would be far more expensive than just building a baffle stack out of sheet metal, tubing, and fittings.

While I would use a lathe, drill press, welder, and band saw because I own them, You could build it from off the shelf fittings, a drill, a hack saw, a tap, and a pair of pliers.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic