Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Glutes involvement in Squats

P

plank

Sep 16, 2010
How large a factor are glutes in squats? I ask becuase I apparently stepped out of line when god was handing out asses lol. Im wondering if that is one of the limiting factors on my squats.

When I isolate quads, they arent lagging in strength at all. Im assuming my hams and glutes are the primary lagging components.

R

ruthlezz_1

Sep 20, 2010
How wide is your stance and how deep do you squat? The wider the stance and the deeper you go, the more glute involvement there will be.

Other things to consider:

1) Your first movement should be breaking with the hips, not the knees. Even if you're doing a normal squat (i.e., shoulder-width stance, full ROM).
2) Focus on keeping the weight on your heels. If you're on your toes, you'll lean forward and force all the weight on to your quads.
3) If your glutes are generally weak, the same locic as #2 applies.

There are a ton of other pointers, but it would probably be best to get some specifics on what your exact issue is via video, picture or something like that.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Glutes are the primary muscle for hip extension therefore a major player in squatting. Direct accessory training of the glutes is a great idea for anyone who wants a big squat. Glute bridges and belt squats are my go to. You can also just really focus on using the glutes by squeezing hard while you squat with sub-maximal weight. Say 70% for sets of 5. Box squatting is also a tremendous glute and ham developer.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Glutes are a primary muscle utilized in Squats but of course you can include them even more through HOW you perform them.Going extra deep calls on your glutes more,width of stance,etc.Even how well you focus on the muscle during the lift plays a huge role in muscle stimulation believe it or not.If you're focusing on pushing with your ass,you will be.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
How large a factor are glutes in squats? I ask becuase I apparently stepped out of line when god was handing out asses lol. Im wondering if that is one of the limiting factors on my squats.

When I isolate quads, they arent lagging in strength at all. Im assuming my hams and glutes are the primary lagging components.

Why are you asking? Are you having trouble with your squat form? Or do you just lack good development of your glutes?

If you lack development of your glutes, but your squat form is good, you should do some exercises to develop your glutes. If your squat form is a problem, or if you are having trouble increasing the weight of your squats for some reason, find someone to help you with your squat form.

There are some good threads on here describing proper squat form, but here is how I was taught to squat.

First, set the height of the rack so you can stand up with the bar and have 1" to 3" space above the racks. Then grip the bar slightly wider than shoulder width, and place the bar low on your traps, so it is resting below the top of your traps, and partly on your shoulders. Stand up with the weight and place your feet. If you are lifting from a regular rack, step back and place your feet. Your feet should be slightly wider than shoulder width, toes slightly angled out and comfortable. Squat as though you are sitting down on a toilet, by pushing your but backward and letting your chest descend to the front slightly, but so you don't lean too far forward, keep some tension in your lower back and keep your back arched and your head up. Descend all the way to the bottom so you are ATG. Then push upward and clench your but and legs at the top.

Work on this with light weights until you get your form perfect, then gradually increase the weight and lower the reps until you approach 90% to 100% of your 1 rep max. If you keep good form on your 1 rep max, then you have done everything right and you will have a much heavier squat than if you lose the good form. Clenching at the top will work your glutes, hamstrings and quads. Keeping your back tense during the squat will work your lower back and core. Going heavy will make you strong like a bull. Good luck buddy.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Glutes are a MAJOR mover in squats and pulls.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
You wanna get your glutes firing before you even get into your squat working sets.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
my girlfriend has the same problem.... box squats or wall squats on your heels to start.....squeeze the glutes and walk at a 15 degree incline on the treadmill.....you will see some changes

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I've always done heavy squats since I started training over 27 years ago. My glutes look like a couple of basketballs. :D

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Squat like you are sitting down on a toilet. Powerlifting squats are the best way to have "Buns of Steel" IMO.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Great thread ! Simple movement yet can take years to understand . Squats are cornerstone to my training .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic