Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

gloves, wraps, grippers or what?

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I have been using gloves, but my hands are still getting beat up...what do you ladies use when lifting? I have seen the grippers ad and ads for other styles...can't remember the name but the wrist wrap with the strap attached.....I need hand protection, my callouses are being shredded during dl and a few others....help

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I generally use chalk, but not now, new gym won't allow it. Versa Grips are very good, so I've heard. Do you pick your callouses? I do after I get out of the shower, and use Bag Balm regularly to prevent tears.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I use gloves all the time & switch to straps when I DL - so there's still the cotton strap between my hands & the bar. I probably get more callous from where my gloves have a ripple in them when I grip. But generally its not bad. Your hands might be dry, promoting more flaking, etc. Do you use moisturizer?

I laugh cuz back in the day a lot of the guys I know, and me as well, used gloves, but it was a matter of pride as to how ripped out the palm area was. All of us sported our callouses proudly.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
yep, I think my gloves are actually making it worse...all I could find locally were small mens...and the fit isnt the best but they worked....but now they seem to have stretched out and it casues a ripple at the finger/hand point...maybe I just need new gloves LOL...maybe a womens size in a better quality would work. My hands are dry, but not "that" dry...just seems that everything is aggrivating them lately

dryvrgrl

dryvrgrl

TID Lady Member
Sep 20, 2011
i just lift lol.. calouses are sexy LOL

i use straps cuz of carpal tunnel and a loss of grip strength

A

afton

Sep 19, 2011
I use gloves for one reason... if I don't I find my wedding ring digs into where my finger joins my hand, especially on pulling movements. I suppose I could wear one glove but that would look a bit Michael Jackson ;)

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
I got new gloves and they're much better, but honestly, calluses are there to protect your hands. If you lose the gloves altogether, you may actually be better off in the long run.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
well...I hadn't worn gloves for ages and only started wearing them again recently because it seems like some of those bars have broken glass embedded in them or something....I have callouses built up, but they are being chewed up and my hands are so sore now I kind of need the gloves....hurts with or without, but right now they hurt so much I have to use the gloves....it's a viscious terminal loop...Im stuck :( I hate the gloves, but am not willing to quit training til my hands are healed up....and dont want to go lighter either ...it sucks

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
caulk or nothing.. I wear goves sometimes when my wrist is bothering me. My gloves have a wrist wrap. I need real wrist wraps. One of trhese days I'm going to hit up Inzer for a bench shirt and wrist wraps.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
You wouldnt catch me with gloves on.I dont really have a reason just not my thing.I use chalk .I use straps because I deadlift heavy lol. I had ct surgery a few years ago and just now got my grip back to where it should be.

Anyways bag balm is good or any really good moisturizing lotion.I use a nail file and file my callouses when they get where I think I am gonna rip them.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
I have to wear gloves. I have rare skin, Epidermolysis Bullosa Simplex Weber-Cockayne form (sounds awful doesn't it?), soft skin on hands & feet...blisters with too much friction. I can't walk/run in hot months (BB & swimming are perfect sports for me) & I wear gloves to bike as well. Hate the heat of gloves but I need the extra padding. I moisturize like crazy.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I have to wear gloves. I have rare skin, Epidermolysis Bullosa Simplex Weber-Cockayne form (sounds awful doesn't it?), soft skin on hands & feet...blisters with too much friction. I can't walk/run in hot months (BB & swimming are perfect sports for me) & I wear gloves to bike as well. Hate the heat of gloves but I need the extra padding. I moisturize like crazy.

That sounds miserable ! You could always move to the northwest we dont have very much warm weather here lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic