Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Getting the hang of this welding stuff

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Tell what you think. I know I can improve a little, but I was after function more than I was aesthetics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341961079.944171.jpg

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Glad you have your setup man!

What motion do you move the torch while you are welding? Do you make a circular motion, or a back and forth motion?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

What motion do you move the torch while you are welding? Do you make a circular motion, or a back and forth motion?

lol Dude, I was kidding. That is the worst welding in the history of welding! My beads are coming along, but I am still really hit or miss. I am having a lot of trouble stabilizing my hand to get a consistent, and straight, weld. I am also having issues with the heat vs wire feed thing. Dialing it in is difficult for me because my skill is so low too that I have trouble knowing if it's me or the settings. Couple of these still have slag on them. I just got my chipper, so they will be cleaned up from here on out. I got a grinder now too so I can prep the surface and hopefully that will greatly help my welding too. You can see when I started getting tired. Welds got really bad and had to stop.

6F91A9A2-E94C-4893-86F5-31AEDAC2040B_zpssrfvyias.jpg

5F6804D1-4FFA-4882-B99F-F8CEA0389DC6_zpsmwtqqhix.jpg

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

lol Dude, I was kidding. That is the worst welding in the history of welding! My beads are coming along, but I am still really hit or miss. I am having a lot of trouble stabilizing my hand to get a consistent, and straight, weld. I am also having issues with the heat vs wire feed thing. Dialing it in is difficult for me because my skill is so low too that I have trouble knowing if it's me or the settings. Couple of these still have slag on them. I just got my chipper, so they will be cleaned up from here on out.

THe top one is a rusty sruface. Ignore the wire pieces, I was being lazy and wasn't cutting them off lol

6F91A9A2-E94C-4893-86F5-31AEDAC2040B_zpssrfvyias.jpg

5F6804D1-4FFA-4882-B99F-F8CEA0389DC6_zpsmwtqqhix.jpg

phantom

phantom

Jul 7, 2014
Just stay about an eighth ahead of the eye of the puddle.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I think they call that Gorilla welding... Its big and ugly... but its strong!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
So I found out last night, I Have been using the wrong techniques with flux core wire. Apparently you cannot go back over welds with it, and I was using a gas shielded technique. So, I will be hopping on tonight or tomorrow again and doing some with the correct technique. That seems to be the reason why I can't make my beads look nice and I am getting a lot of splatter.

P

Pittsburgh63

Jul 21, 2013
What kind of wire are you running? From looking at it I assumed you we're stick welding with 7018. Biggest top I can give is hold your sides and don't worry about the middle of the weld. It will fill itself. Holding your sides more will eliminate the undercut your getting. Other thing I see is your speed is inconsistent. Watch your puddle and try to keep the shape of it consistent. That will give you the aesthetic you desire.

P

Pittsburgh63

Jul 21, 2013
Also, try turning your heat and wire speed up a little. That should help flatten things out.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thanks. Yeah, I am learning how to steady my hands. I am trying to figure out the most comfortable way to rest my arm/hand and still be able to move with it.

I am using the .035 Innershield lincoln sent with the unit. Figured I would burn this stuff up trying to learn before I get gas an a bunch of solid wire. I'll probably drop to .025 when I do that

P

Pittsburgh63

Jul 21, 2013
Get a comfortable elbow anchor set for your farthest intended point of the weld. Set up there, then check your start point to make sure it's still reasonably comfortable. A lot of guys fixate on the start, then end up shifting or straining to finish the weld. 3/32 wire is where it's at... Burns hot enough to make substantial structural welds, yet cool enough for moderately lighter gauge steel.

Keep at it. Your on the right track. It's all about finding what works for you. I've been a welder for over 12 yrs now, and I'm still learning tricks to make myself better and more efficient. It'll come in time. Most important thing is to take pride in it. If you have that, you'll never fail.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Lots of welders in my neck of the woods. I don't know anything about it myself though.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic