Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Getting started in Powerlifting for a teen! Tips, advice, anything please!

scarl3tbutt3rfly

scarl3tbutt3rfly

TID Lady Member
Feb 25, 2011
I have a 17 year old son who has been weight training for about 2 years, his initial goals were weight loss, muscle gain, etc. But he recently has decided he would like to start powerlifting. And since I know alot of powerlifters troll this site, figured would be a good place to ask.

I know alot about weight lifting and diet for physique enhancement, but little to nothing about powerlifting.

He has asked me:

What kind of diet does a powerlifter follow? Macros, calories, etc. To help with workouts, improving strength, etc.

What is a good beginner training workout regimen for powerlifting? Exercises, number of days a week, etc.

What kind of gear is usually necessary as a beginner to start powerlifting? (I don't mean steroids! lol) like lifting shirts, straps, etc…

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
MAKE SURE HE STARTS OUT IN SINGLE PLY GEAR........ There is quite a learning curve to wearing gear.. Once he has single ply mastered, then he can move to double ply.. Form is critical.. He will have to decide if he is going to Dl sumo or conventional.. Is he an arched bencher, or flat? Board work is very important to learning how to handle heavy weight without the injuries on the bench.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I would recomend that he use no lifting gear for a while. Let his body strengthen itself properly and he will lessen his likelyhood for injury down the road.

scarl3tbutt3rfly

scarl3tbutt3rfly

TID Lady Member
Feb 25, 2011
MAKE SURE HE STARTS OUT IN SINGLE PLY GEAR........ There is quite a learning curve to wearing gear.. Once he has single ply mastered, then he can move to double ply.. Form is critical.. He will have to decide if he is going to Dl sumo or conventional.. Is he an arched bencher, or flat? Board work is very important to learning how to handle heavy weight without the injuries on the bench.

I would recomend that he use no lifting gear for a while. Let his body strengthen itself properly and he will lessen his likelyhood for injury down the road.

Cool, thanks so much!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah he shouldn't be training with gear to begin with. He needs to get as strong as possible without and he may not even want to compete in equipped lifting. Raw lifting is making a resurgence. I would also make him remember more isn't better, meaning don't be in the gym 6-7 days a week for hours trying to lift. Have a game plan backed by science, get in, lift, and get out. Give his body enough time to grow and recover and than do it again.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic