Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Getting back into deadlifts

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I suspect I'll be able to work with maybe 315-350 I used to pull 495 back in the day without much struggle.

Start out light and work your way up. Work on your form and moving the bar fast. Don't grip and rip... tension your hams and the bar and then get the bar moving.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I wouldn't underestimate 315, it will kick your ass, especially if you have not DL for a while

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Guns if you are comfortable with this, pm me a video of your deadlifts. Something heavy for a triple. I can help you nail down your technique. Something you would understand from bjj is that moving big weight comes down to how you leverage it. Find your leverage and the weight will move better and you will stay safer.

As far as training it I prefer to use pendulum waves. So look at training in 3 week periods.

Week 1 go light for doubles or triples. Move the bar fast and keep form perfect. Do a total of 25 to 30 reps like this.

Week 2 go moderately heavy for sets of 5 to 7 reps. Bar won't move as fast but still try. 20 to 25 reps on this day.

Week 3 go very heavy for a triple. Just work up in sets of 3 until you pull a triple where you couldn't possibly get a 4th rep clean. Then pull 10 to 15% of the weight off and do 3 more triples.

I would suggest never doing a max effort single as it's basically pointless. Those are really just for powerlifters at a meet. It won't make you stronger really and increases injury potential.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Guns if you are comfortable with this, pm me a video of your deadlifts. Something heavy for a triple. I can help you nail down your technique. Something you would understand from bjj is that moving big weight comes down to how you leverage it. Find your leverage and the weight will move better and you will stay safer.

As far as training it I prefer to use pendulum waves. So look at training in 3 week periods.

Week 1 go light for doubles or triples. Move the bar fast and keep form perfect. Do a total of 25 to 30 reps like this.

Week 2 go moderately heavy for sets of 5 to 7 reps. Bar won't move as fast but still try. 20 to 25 reps on this day.

Week 3 go very heavy for a triple. Just work up in sets of 3 until you pull a triple where you couldn't possibly get a 4th rep clean. Then pull 10 to 15% of the weight off and do 3 more triples.

I would suggest never doing a max effort single as it's basically pointless. Those are really just for powerlifters at a meet. It won't make you stronger really and increases injury potential.

I completely agree with this. Singles serve you no purpose. What you need to focus on is becoming more explosive which the speed work will help and the sets of 7 or more would be great for your endurance. Those 2 are imperative for BJJ imo.

Be careful sending PoB a video... You never know what he'll ask you to wear while deadlifting, lol.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Leopard print speedo I'm thinking.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Are you trying to powerlift or are you trying to bodybuild?

Your routine is a bodybuilding format, but it's not clear if that's your goal or if you just haven't learned how to program for strength yet.

Your goals will determine how you use the deadlift in your programming.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Are you trying to powerlift or are you trying to bodybuild?

Your routine is a bodybuilding format, but it's not clear if that's your goal or if you just haven't learned how to program for strength yet.

Your goals will determine how you use the deadlift in your programming.

I'm pretty sure GS is training for his sport, BJJ. So it's sport specific and not bbing. It would be more for power and explosiveness which would make it more PLing'esque.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure GS is training for his sport, BJJ. So it's sport specific and not bbing. It would be more for power and explosiveness which would make it more PLing'esque.

Correct. I'm 40, I just want to be strong and functional.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Okay.... then it's definitely time to get away from the Muscle and Fitness beginner routines and set your training up to meet your goals.

For example, in powerlifting we have squat/pull training days and bench training days. If someone tells me they're a powerlifter and had a good body part training day it's immediately assumed that they're an amateur or just calling themselves a powerlifter but never competed...... For example, I have 2 bench days a week ( typical Westside program).... one day is all about heavy pressing, and the other is all about explosive movement ( called a speed or dynamic day).... I'll train bench and whatever other movements I need to build my bench on those two days. So, instead of the goal being to exhaust a body part, the goal is to train a movement and any weaknesses holding that movement back.... see the difference?

For MMA and BJJ guys your emphasis should be on the dynamic movements more than max effort movements..... it's been a while since I've been out to Westside, but the last time I was there Louie had a few MMA guys out to train. I only spent 20 minutes or so talking to Matt Brown but it was neat to pick his brain ( and Louie's) on the differences between combat sports guys and powerlifters in training...... There was a lot more emphasis on hanging weights ( both regular bar and bamboo bar) and dynamic, hip-dominant movements like box squats against bands.

So, programming deadlifts for a BJJ guy? Put them on a day intended to train posterior chain ( if done heavy), or put them on a day intended to work grip and explosiveness in the lower body ( if doing them lighter, for reps, and with an emphasis on moving them as fast as possible)...

Starting to see the difference?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic