Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Getting back into deadlifts

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
As the title suggests I'll be trying to get back into doing deads. Haven't messed with them since getting hurt back in 2010. Never was very strong on them but would like to add them back in. Suggestions on how and when to add them in appreciated.

Currently doing:
Monday - chest
Tuesday - arms
Wed - shoulders and calves
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back

Sometimes I'll take Wed off and pick back up Thursday. I also teach BJJ on Tuesdays and Thursdays grappling for at least 30-45 mins.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Why are you doing back and legs back to back? I would change your layout and I would throw in conventional pulls into your back regimen.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chest/shoulders
Back
Arms
Legs
Off
Off
Repeat is what I like

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Or you could try something like:

Mon~ Back
Tues~ Chest/Biceps
Wed~ Off
Thurs~ Legs
Fri~ Shoulder/Triceps
Sat~ Off
Sun~ Off

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Hmmm, I think I could work with this.

I think you'll find it works better if you want to add compound, multi-joint lifts in the training ie. deadlifts and squats. That layout will give your body sufficient time to be well rested so you can push yourself be recovered each/every time.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
How light should I start out ya think? Or just go by feel? I'm still a bit skittish but Its 95% mental.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How light should I start out ya think? Or just go by feel? I'm still a bit skittish but Its 95% mental.

Then I'd go by how you feel. I'd steal a page out of PoB's book and use RPEs (rate of perceived exertion) for determine amounts. So it you use an RPE of 8 for sets of 5 you should basically use 80% or lift weights where you feel like you could have gotten 2 more reps.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
My back was shot too, I started back 4 weeks ago, with POB method. Its working really nice. My back would acke and hurt just sitting or standing around. Its all good now. no more pain. Yes I Sumo, comp dead, squat, rack pull, you name it... Last week I got up to 385lbs on comp dead lifts. Just start out slow... and work your way up..

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You mean conventional dead. Conventional is where your hands are outside your knees and sumo is where your hands are inside you knee. You comp pull could be sumo or conventional.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
You mean conventional dead. Conventional is where your hands are outside your knees and sumo is where your hands are inside you knee. You comp pull could be sumo or conventional.

Yea conventional, I just call em competition deads hands outside

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I suspect I'll be able to work with maybe 315-350 I used to pull 495 back in the day without much struggle.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic