Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Gas Prices!!!

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
no disrespect but what does any of that have to do with record profits for the oil companies? so the government is getting theirs, because the oil companies are charging more per barrel, the government makes more on the taxes, so it still comes down to the oil companies!

and yeah for the oil companies to do what they do, they are still making record profits, they have to invest their money somewhere to make them look better. just think if they didnt invest that money in that stuff, then their profits would be even higher!

So, a company is faulted for making more money than they did the previous years? A record profit only means they made more profit than they ever have. Even if it is $10 more than what they have, it's still a record profit. If a company had the same gross revenue they did the previous years, but they managed better, became (I hate to fucking say this) lean, and dropped their operational costs, it would show as more profit than the previous years - record profits. I hate the media for coining phrases and applying them where they don't belong.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
no disrespect but what does any of that have to do with record profits for the oil companies? so the government is getting theirs, because the oil companies are charging more per barrel, the government makes more on the taxes, so it still comes down to the oil companies!

and yeah for the oil companies to do what they do, they are still making record profits, they have to invest their money somewhere to make them look better. just think if they didnt invest that money in that stuff, then their profits would be even higher!

If they don't continue to invest in further exploration, they won't have anything to pump out of the ground 20 years from now. That would negatively affect their net present value right now, thus negatively impacting their stock price.

My point was that vilifying the oil companies is the easy out. The oil companies make less money per gallon of gas than the state and federal gov't tax. If we're unhappy with the price of gasoline (which is what we're really upset about, after all who cares how much money Exxon is making if gas is only $1 per gallon), then we should ask what is making gas expensive. I would suggest that the present cost reflects a variety of factors: increased demand as the world economy exits recession, reduced stability in the middle east, U.S. policy that is shutting down drilling in the gulf, denying permits in artic waters, and delaying/nixing U.S. canadian pipeline into the U.S. While we may be able to have some affect on middle east stability, the primary lever we can pull is domestic energy policy.

However, Obama himself stated in his campaign that gas prices need to rise, so why is he now attempting to vilify the capitalists? Doesn't the oil industry create high paying union jobs? I understand that oil is a fungible commodity, but cranking up our domestic production when oil is at $113/barrel would allow a lot of domestic operations with domestic workers to make a truck load of money, which positively affects the domestic economy and improves the employment picture. But the Obama adminisstration is doing the exact opposite. That guy may be a nice guy, but he's got a problem with capitalism. Problem is, without capitalists making a truckload of money, the unemployment rate won't go down. He's kinda in a catch-22. He wants the economy to grow, but he can't stand the possibility that those responsible for taking the risk to make the economy grow might get wealthy in the process.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
F#ck oil, we should go to Natural Gas. And no the tank is not unsafe.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It's about to jump 12 or so cents tomorrow where I am b/c of a increase in state tax for gas. Everyone's out filling up today.

Hexbolt

Hexbolt

Apr 25, 2011
I just filled up my tank, $70.00, sucks I have a V8 engine... PA It just went up in 1 day...

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
If they don't continue to invest in further exploration, they won't have anything to pump out of the ground 20 years from now. That would negatively affect their net present value right now, thus negatively impacting their stock price.

My point was that vilifying the oil companies is the easy out. The oil companies make less money per gallon of gas than the state and federal gov't tax. If we're unhappy with the price of gasoline (which is what we're really upset about, after all who cares how much money Exxon is making if gas is only $1 per gallon), then we should ask what is making gas expensive. I would suggest that the present cost reflects a variety of factors: increased demand as the world economy exits recession, reduced stability in the middle east, U.S. policy that is shutting down drilling in the gulf, denying permits in artic waters, and delaying/nixing U.S. canadian pipeline into the U.S. While we may be able to have some affect on middle east stability, the primary lever we can pull is domestic energy policy.

However, Obama himself stated in his campaign that gas prices need to rise, so why is he now attempting to vilify the capitalists? Doesn't the oil industry create high paying union jobs? I understand that oil is a fungible commodity, but cranking up our domestic production when oil is at $113/barrel would allow a lot of domestic operations with domestic workers to make a truck load of money, which positively affects the domestic economy and improves the employment picture. But the Obama adminisstration is doing the exact opposite. That guy may be a nice guy, but he's got a problem with capitalism. Problem is, without capitalists making a truckload of money, the unemployment rate won't go down. He's kinda in a catch-22. He wants the economy to grow, but he can't stand the possibility that those responsible for taking the risk to make the economy grow might get wealthy in the process.

Gas prices and industry earnings: A few things to think about the next time you fill up | ExxonMobil's Perspectives Blog

interesting report where im sure you got your info. like in all things, what the media puts out is bullshit and what the company puts out is going to probably be just as much bullshit. probably somewhere in the middle of it all is the truth.

bottom line is that gas prices suck, people are going to bitch, oil companies are going to get blamed. if the oil companies did a better job in educating the consumer instead of just putting out random reports like above than the people would know who was to blame.

example- someone brings their sick dog in to me. i run blood work and try and save it and it the bill is hundreds of dollars. now, if i havent had good communitcation with that client so that they exactly where their money is going and what is going on, than regardless of whether the dog lives are dies, they are going to be pissed about the cost and blame me. when communication is good, even when the dog dies, they understand everything that happened and was done and then they send me thank you cards for taking such great care of their beloved pets!

so if the oil companies arent at fault, educate the consumer so that they know who is at fault. the consumer is too lazy to do it on their own and they are going to take the easy target.

and the one thing nobody has brought up is the fact that the gas stations set the price. when fuel is .10 cents or more different from across town, you know it is the station owner that is making it so. then the other side raises their prices and it goes back and forth. not much can be done about that. the owners are just taking advantage of the situation and thats what being in business is all about.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
It's not my opinion. It's fact. You don't have to go anywhere. You can walk. Snowmobile? Dog sled? It's not mandatory.

So you're saying a snow mobile is more efficient than my SUV? Or feeding a team of dogs year-round is more efficient? And to say I don't have to go to work, the store or the gym is just an idiot's statement.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
3.79 for reg here hyundai sonata daily beater $60

4.08 for premium.. wifes trailblazer ss $92

10.65 for 111 race fuel 03 cobra ... $149

Dont really care about the gas prices to be honest,they are what they are and it may suck paying it at some point but the shitty thing is we have no choice but to pay it.

in no way will it change what we drive. I would rather nut up and pay it then part with the toys....

Last edited:
barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
and the one thing nobody has brought up is the fact that the gas stations set the price. when fuel is .10 cents or more different from across town, you know it is the station owner that is making it so. then the other side raises their prices and it goes back and forth. not much can be done about that. the owners are just taking advantage of the situation and thats what being in business is all about.

Where I used to live gas prices fluctuated from street block to block. It's a nice thing in the area I live now is that across the whole city it's the same price with a couple exceptions(Sam's club if you're a member, and an ancient gas station that keeps the price for 89 2cents cheaper than everyone elses 87 octane).

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
So you're saying a snow mobile is more efficient than my SUV? Or feeding a team of dogs year-round is more efficient? And to say I don't have to go to work, the store or the gym is just an idiot's statement.

You're missing the point. You don't have to drive a low mpg vehicle. In fact, you don't have to do anything. There's consequences to every decision you make, but you don't have to do anything. No one is making you. Public transportation is an option.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Why haven't diesel engines that run on vegetable oil caught on, damnit? I ran my own business a couple years back and my employees were burning through $2000/month of diesel fuel in my F-250 powerstroke. I did some research, found a guy one state away that would convert my diesel engine to run on vegetable oil. NOT biodiesel, straight up vegetable (or peanut, or any cooking oil) oil. I paid $3000 for the conversion, spent 4-5 hours a weekend purifying used cooking oil that was given to me by willing restaurant owners, and I saved $2000/month. The truck got the same "gas" mileage, had the same horsepower and torque, and was 100% emission-friendly when running on oil. I had to start the engine on diesel until the oil heated up enough to be the right viscosity, and I had to run diesel through the engine for 1 minute before shutting it off, to flush the engine of oil. Other than those few minutes per day, the truck ran exclusively on oil. I can't believe that more people don't do this. I've seen a few vehicles on the west-coast that boast it, and a few on the east coast, but you would think that with the cost of diesel nowadays, more business owners and private owners of diesel vehicles would be converting. If any of y'all have any questions on how it works or why it works, PM me or just lay it out in the open.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic