Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Fun fact

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
I argued this and resisted my doctor(s) advice for 1/2 my life. I have shrunk to just over 5'11 and this morning I am 198lbs. I feel better, sleep better, fuck better and now enjoy cardio.

Sure I look puny when I look in the mirror, until some fat fuck stands next to me curling in the mirror at the gym.

Its smart to set down the ego.
Holy shit you skinny fukr! Better eat a pie brother

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Too funny. You guys sound like a bunch of workout meat heads complaining that they cant buy clothes that fit. ;)

BMI is just a statistical tool to look at large populations. I agree it is not indicative or easily applied to any one individual. It just does not account for that persons lean mass.
With that said, it still applies to most people. Most people dont look like the people in this thread. Most people dont train. Also, take out AAS out of the equation and there is no man on this earth that will be walking around at 5'9 and 220 with abs. I stay around 10% bf for last few years. 5'9 between 200 and 210. Small by many here, and yes, technically obese. Without AAS I only ever hit 190 at 10% when still natural.

So yes, if you take the 'average' guy or girl then BMI is can apply reasonably well. Complaining about it is kind of silly when I dont think many people here think they represent the 'norm'. On top of that, I know TONS of guys who have trained for years and they are so attached to what they THINK is size which is really just fat. Tons of 'big' guys are totally delusional about the amount of fat they carry....and yes probably really are obese.
Haha. Yep, the guy walking around at 275 lbs who thinks they are going to step on stage at 235-240 lbs, but when they get to that weight they still look 20 weeks out.

The only thing I do not like about the BMI scale is insurance companies put way too much stock in it. My blood markers can be all in the normal range and my DEXA scan places my bodyfat at 10.2%, but my BMI is 30.7. That increases my life insurance premium by 70%.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I don’t know if I could go below 220#’s @ 5’9”. I have no idea the last time I was below 200#’s, probably about 30 years ago. I’ll probably be obese for life. SMH.
I used to be big but my lipids were off the chart, I had hypertension and a plethora of health probs. Now I am a skinny guy and OK with it. My body just did not do well with the added weight. Now I have cardio for days and feel WAY better.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I argued this and resisted my doctor(s) advice for 1/2 my life. I have shrunk to just over 5'11 and this morning I am 198lbs. I feel better, sleep better, fuck better and now enjoy cardio.

Sure I look puny when I look in the mirror, until some fat fuck stands next to me curling in the mirror at the gym.

Its smart to set down the ego.
Well, keep in mind that at 5'11" you are overweight at 198. You "should" be in the 160-170 range.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Contrary to what some might think you don't have to be a roided up meathead to have a low bodyfat muscular body that far exceeds the BMI you "should" be. One of my students Travis is 5'9" and walks around at 185-190 and a six pak and cannot take any PEDs. My best friend was at one point 5"11" 200 with single digit BF and never touched a steroid. Another student of mine (local cop) is 6'3" 240 and a crossfit champ with maybe 12-14% BF (considered obese) You can say what you like but someone (whoever the idiots who thought these charts were a good idea) wants all women too look like small children and all men to look like anorexic 14 year old boys. Unless you just have piss poor "Alabama" genetics no grown man should be walking around less than 150-160 unless he is under 5'4"

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I used to be big but my lipids were off the chart, I had hypertension and a plethora of health probs. Now I am a skinny guy and OK with it. My body just did not do well with the added weight. Now I have cardio for days and feel WAY better.
Yep, everyone has their tipping point. Some people can still carry quite a bit of size and maintain good health and cardio. Others need to be skinny to maintain the same. While some, can be skinny as hell and still not stay healthy and maintain cardio.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Yep, everyone has their tipping point. Some people can still carry quite a bit of size and maintain good health and cardio. Others need to be skinny to maintain the same. While some, can be skinny as hell and still not stay healthy and maintain cardio.
Yep, I agree 100%. Was hard watching myself shrink in the mirror over months. But it was awesome to see my improvements on the mat both striking and grappling. Big trade off but worth it.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Yep. My "tipping point" seems to be around 210. At that point my BP starts to go up, cardio drops off a bit and my knees start to hurt more. But at 190-195 I'm very lean, better cardio than most guys in their 20's and about twice as strong. Still considered obese. lol

We have to get past this notion that skinny = healthy. It does not. Skinny just = weak

I don't think most of the guys here would be considered thin by "normal" standards.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Yep. My "tipping point" seems to be around 210. At that point my BP starts to go up, cardio drops off a bit and my knees start to hurt more. But at 190-195 I'm very lean, better cardio than most guys in their 20's and about twice as strong. Still considered obese. lol

We have to get past this notion that skinny = healthy. It does not. Skinny just = weak

I don't think most of the guys here would be considered thin by "normal" standards.
Mine tipping point changed as I aged. Up until I was 30, at 5'9", I could get up to 255 lbs and still finish the 3 mile run on my physical fitness test in under 24 minutes. I even got up to 283 lbs and ran one in just under 27 minutes. This was the same week I hit 505/710/730 in a powerlifting meet, which is how I got the handle, Genetic Freak. At 31, I ended up dropping a bunch of weight after going on a deployment that didn't have any weights, so I just ran and did circuit drills on top of combat patrols day in and day out. Ended up in the 190-195 lbs range by the end of the deployment and was running 3 miles in 17-18 minutes. After that every 5 lbs I gained added at least a minute to my run time. At 35, even getting up to 215 lbs made it nearly impossible for me to run 3 miles in under 25 minutes. Now at 200 lbs in my mid 40's and I don't think I could finish 3 miles in under 27 minutes. Maybe I could, but it would hurt a lot.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Mine tipping point changed as I aged. Up until I was 30, at 5'9", I could get up to 255 lbs and still finish the 3 mile run on my physical fitness test in under 24 minutes. I even got up to 283 lbs and ran one in just under 27 minutes. This was the same week I hit 505/710/730 in a powerlifting meet, which is how I got the handle, Genetic Freak. At 31, I ended up dropping a bunch of weight after going on a deployment that didn't have any weights, so I just ran and did circuit drills on top of combat patrols day in and day out. Ended up in the 190-195 lbs range by the end of the deployment and was running 3 miles in 17-18 minutes. After that every 5 lbs I gained added at least a minute to my run time. At 35, even getting up to 215 lbs made it nearly impossible for me to run 3 miles in under 25 minutes. Now at 200 lbs in my mid 40's and I don't think I could finish 3 miles in under 27 minutes. Maybe I could, but it would hurt a lot.
I couldn't run 3 miles if my life depended on it because of my knees...lol But I can still do muay thai for 3 x 3 min rounds and grapple for an hour. I think thats pretty good for 46.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Too funny. You guys sound like a bunch of workout meat heads complaining that they cant buy clothes that fit. ;)

BMI is just a statistical tool to look at large populations. I agree it is not indicative or easily applied to any one individual. It just does not account for that persons lean mass.
With that said, it still applies to most people. Most people dont look like the people in this thread. Most people dont train. Also, take out AAS out of the equation and there is no man on this earth that will be walking around at 5'9 and 220 with abs. I stay around 10% bf for last few years. 5'9 between 200 and 210. Small by many here, and yes, technically obese. Without AAS I only ever hit 190 at 10% when still natural.

So yes, if you take the 'average' guy or girl then BMI is can apply reasonably well. Complaining about it is kind of silly when I dont think many people here think they represent the 'norm'. On top of that, I know TONS of guys who have trained for years and they are so attached to what they THINK is size which is really just fat. Tons of 'big' guys are totally delusional about the amount of fat they carry....and yes probably really are obese.
You know, funny part is, we still have same health issues as a fat person with same BMI. So jokes on us!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I couldn't run 3 miles if my life depended on it because of my knees...lol But I can still do muay thai for 3 x 3 min rounds and grapple for an hour. I think thats pretty good for 46.
Grappling is a whole different level of cardio, Muay Thai and boxing too. I have seen great endurance athletes gas out fast grappling or doing rounds. Their adrenaline gets the best of them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic