Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Fuel for morning workout.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Tried to search around here and didn't find much. Google is a wasteland. Reddit can sometimes be helpful, but quality answers are more likely here. I've recently switched over to morning workouts (6AM), which means I don't have much time to get something eaten and digested before getting to the gym. Today was my first morning workout. I was fasted with exception to one tablespoon of honey. I did alright until I hit my second superset and then fell off a cliff. From that point, it was sheer will and couldn't get to my third sets due to being faint and slightly nauseous. Doesn't help that this cycle is high rep and short rest, something which I have not yet gotten accustomed. Anyway, does anyone have a good, simple recommendation for fueling pre-workout that can be digested and usable within one to one-and-a-half hours? Am I over-complicating this and just need to eat a fucking banana (would explain the lack of results here)?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I almost never eat in the morning before work outs. I do drink a combination of Hydrate and Recover and Energy Focus from Wilderness Athlete. This is very successful for me and I don’t fade out.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I'm fine with shakes, bars, or along those lines. That's my issue is fading out. My workouts in the afternoons were fine. I could generally go 2+ hours with pretty high intensity since I had already eaten about 175g carbs before getting there. Little different now. I'll take a look at those you use. How long before your workout do you drink them?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Coffee and water for me, occasionally a hangover too. I always feel rundown/less strong in the am lift no matter what. When I feel faint and nauseous lifting in the morning it's my blood sugar (hypoglycemic)

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I'm fine with shakes, bars, or along those lines. That's my issue is fading out. My workouts in the afternoons were fine. I could generally go 2+ hours with pretty high intensity since I had already eaten about 175g carbs before getting there. Little different now. I'll take a look at those you use. How long before your workout do you drink them?
I usually start sipping it a few minutes after I get up so probably about an hour before workout. I drink roughly half and then continue to sip during the workout.
to be fair I also have a cup of coffee.
Before I discovered it I was just coffee and water like 5.0.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
I workout early mornings too. Here’s my pre-workout meal that I eat about an hour before lifting:
1 cup of oatmeal mixed with water
1 scoop of optimum nutrition protein

Then about 30 minutes prior to lifting, I take a caffeine tab for an added boost of energy.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I have 12 ounces of almond milk, 2 scoops of Mutant Whey Protein, 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries and 1/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt in a shake an hour before I train in the morning. On leg day, I usually do my heaviest movement right out of the gate and never felt like throwing up or anything from the shake.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Been hitting the gym at 3:45am since new years. The boy wanted dad to train him and our work schedules didn't jive so he had to get up extra early to use me before I have to leave for work. It'll take about 10 days but your body will adjust

rot-iron66

rot-iron66

Oct 30, 2022
I go at 5:30 AM each day, have been for more than a decade now. Not a big "pre-gym" eater.
So I just have a couple coffee's when I wake up, my PWO with some creatine added in, and a banana on the way.
I do drink and "intra" with more creatine, Humapro and Taurine while training..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic