Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Found my way back...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Going back to my roots.... SST = specialized strength training. It used to have Oly training + PLing but slowly dropped most of the Oly lifting. Well.... I'm going back and I'm adding another angle to it... SM.

I was talking to a friend of mine (who competed in WSM) who pointed out a very good fact, I'm focused on school so my diet, prehab, etc has taken a huge hit. He suggested looking up the WR in different sports and than taking 50% and attacking those numbers. It would be a fun way to keep training for strength, but also put myself in a realm of something that I can do while focusing on school.

I'm also coming back from an injury this year so this will be a fun way to push myself and do something different.

SO... 50% (I'm rounding up)...All raw numbers. I'll still use a belt and sleeves BUT NO wraps.

Deadlift ~ 510
Squat ~ 530
Bench ~ 370
Axle Press (strict)~ 240
Log C&P ~ 255
Axle C&P ~ 240
Farmers Walk ~ 175 per handle 60ft
Yolk ~ 550 60ft

Once I hit those numbers (some of those I've already hit but I'll be working back up to them since the injury) I'll raise them. This should be fun and a nice change of pace. It'll also probably lean me up some which SS will like.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
SHOULDER REHAB MOVEMENTS:

Let me write down the description of each of these rehab movements b/c someone out there might benefit from them.

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Than make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay it's eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should touching the floor (face directly forward). Now was you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Than as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch~ Take a broom stick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Than bring it forward. That is one rep.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This will be my training block for the next 8 weeks.

MONDAY - Deadlift / Bench
Conventional Deadlift
CGBP w/ Axle +chain

--->fatigue drop
Standing Good Morning
Straight-Arm Pulldown
WEDNESDAY - Squat / OHP
Low Bar Squat
Standing Strict Press w/ Axle

--->fatigue drop
Oly Front Squat
Standing Leg Curl
FRIDAY - Bench / Deadlift
Bench
Snatch Pull from Floor
JM Press w/ Axle
T-Bar Row
SUNDAY - Strongman
Log Clean&Press
Farmers Walk
Yoke Run
DB Biceps Curl / Rope Pressdown

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thinking that I'll go back to my idea of training Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun. SS just started back in school and we have to be really diligent with time management so we're changing gears and we're both setting different goals for the time being.

ACTIVE RECOVERY
DEADLIFT/ BENCH

Deadlift~ 225x7, 250x7, 275x7
CGBP +60 chain~ 145+Cx7, 145+Cx7, 145+Cx7
Snatch Grip Deadlift~ 135x10, 135x10, 135x10
Straight Arm Pulldown~ 50x15, 60x15​

SQUAT/ OHP
Squat~ 195x7, 245x7, 285x8
H.S. OHP+mini band ~ 80+Bx8, 80+Bx8, 80+Bx8
Standing Leg Curl~ 20x12, 20x12
Rear Delt Raise~ 20x15, 20x15

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
I had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago. The stick stretch is very effective. I also found taking a tennis ball pressed against a wall and rolling it upwards and back down slowly above my head for a minute is good. Lastly have you ever done deep tissue massages? I found it helpful, it’s good for blood flow.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Where do you place the shoulder rehab stretches? Is it before/during/after a workout session or independent of them (like a rest or active rest day)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago. The stick stretch is very effective. I also found taking a tennis ball pressed against a wall and rolling it upwards and back down slowly above my head for a minute is good. Lastly have you ever done deep tissue massages? I found it helpful, it’s good for blood flow.

You can also take that tennis ball and create small concentric circles while you're holding it against the wall with a straight arm and that's also a good form of prehab for the shoulder girdle.

Where do you place the shoulder rehab stretches? Is it before/during/after a workout session or independent of them (like a rest or active rest day)

I do them after I'm done benching and some before my OHP's. I do my best to perform them 4x a week but I'll be honest in time I usually feel much better and than I slack which causes the pain to return and remind me not to be a lazy pos.

I like to also set my humeral head into my shoulder before I bench. I use a orange band (I personally don't like to use a green band b/c it's much tension for my shoulder). For that I set the band shoulder height and attach it to a squat rack. I choke the band around the rack and then with a locked out, straight arm I grab the band and walk forward (keeping my arm horizontal with the floor so it's straight out in front of me). Once I have the tension I wan I will turn my hand outward and back to it's starting position 10-15x and then perform the movement the other way. This helps set my humerus properly before I load it with the bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I should also mention another reason why I'm going back to my roots....

I found that that more specialized my training became the more useless I became. I mean I could squat 605 for a triple without an issue (walk it out, squat it, and than rack it), but I had difficulty performing walking lunges with just body weight. I don't know about anyone else but that's not good. I believe that was only setting myself up for potentially some worse to happen than a partial tear to my groin.

I'm slowly recovering and making progress to get me back to where I would like to be. I have to learn that the ego can still be there but it's has to remain in check and just use it to fuel my ambitions instead of causing problems.

This will be a fun new adventure and I'm excited to see where it'll take me...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome glad to see this going again. Perhaps time to rename it though. Rather than SST may I suggest GST for generalized

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Fuck yeah, will follow.

Thanks. Hopefully, I can draw on past knowledge that I don't use much anymore and put it good use.

Awesome glad to see this going again. Perhaps time to rename it though. Rather than SST may I suggest GST for generalized

Thanks. Yeah, I like the sound of GST since it's more overall and less focused on one facet.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
WOW... I'm slower than frozen molasses. Snatch pulls couldn't have gone worse if I tried. I got a lot of work to do. I've become very slow.

ACTIVE RECOVERY
PUSH/ PULL

Bench~ 95x15, 135x7, 165x7, 195x7
Snatch Pulls from Floor~ 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
JM Press w/ Axle~ 80x10, 80x10, 80x10
T-Bar Row~ 70x10, 70x10

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic