Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Forearm issues

SS/DV

SS/DV

Jan 19, 2011
Major problem here for me. First, lack of mobility, I can't twist my wrists to pick up a straight bar for a curl. They just won't turn enough, sheesh. Second. Working curls with a curl bar, okay until I went up in weight, now it feels like I've got shinsplints running down the outside of my arms, elbow to wrist. Stuck doing hammers on dbells. Those don't bother me, but it sure limits switching out exercises. Does not affect any other exercise, just curls. Note: I'm ancient and just starting (again) weight training, but am very surprised by this new issue.
Going to see a friend of mine, a doc, would cortisone help or something like that?

D

DIEZEL

MuscleHead
Jan 26, 2011
Take it easy on adding the weight and let your wrist get back into the motion. Your wrist are stuck in that position when using the bar so DB's are less stress, and wrist wraps help too. My doc gave me some celebrex for wrist issues, may help you as well.

SS/DV

SS/DV

Jan 19, 2011
Take it easy on adding the weight and let your wrist get back into the motion. Your wrist are stuck in that position when using the bar so DB's are less stress, and wrist wraps help too. My doc gave me some celebrex for wrist issues, may help you as well.

Good points, I've been taking naproxen for the past 5-6 years for my blown knees, hate to see what this would be like without that. :( It is weird, I just can't rotate my wrists in that directions, palms facing out, doesn't matter what I do. The forearm issue runs down that thin line of bone between the muscle bellys above and below the forearm.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I would suggest ART for this issue.So much can be done with ART with all the tendons and ligaments in your forearm.

SS/DV

SS/DV

Jan 19, 2011
I would suggest ART for this issue.So much can be done with ART with all the tendons and ligaments in your forearm.

Thanks, that sounds pretty good. I'll check with my doc as soon as they decide to pay the Navy personnel in the local area:(.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Yes.....ART will help. AS will stretching. You need to stretch daily. AS for the tendonitis, I would recommend Cissus and double it up for a week or two. Super cissus from USP labs is a good one......but you have to double up the dose for a while if you are already hurting to make a good impact.

You need to stop the NSAID drugs......try stacking the Cissus with some Celadrin at 1G X 2/day for a while.

my $0.02

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely and you can actually manually stretch the forearm muscles yourself, I have problems with my left forearm all the time, shit is truly a bitch.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
how old are you? whats your training history like?? have you ever rock climbed? is your job a manual labor job? it sounds like carpell tunel (sp)---its can limit wrist mobility id see a good orthopedic guy

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i have arthritis in my wrists and hands and have to go with light weights if i curl or do hammer if i want to go heavier. cissus is great, also boswellia, it is a natural antiinflammatory. omega 3s help as well as a good joint supplement. i take two different joint supps, plus boswellia, plus omega 3 and a monthly injection in my ass of glucosamine. that is really the best. if i wasnt such a baby and would go back to weekly injections my joints and soft tissues would probably thank me! also sleep with wrist braces on. 99% of the time when one sleeps they curl their hands and wrists and decrease blood supply and increase inflammatory issues. i have been using wrist braces at night for 4 years and if i dont, i cant hardly move my wrists in the morning!

cortisone injections will help but not for long in those joints.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Only problem with that much cortisone is that they Weaken tendons for 3 months following. Achillies have a higher rate of rupture following the injection!!! Be careful just because they 'recommend' it, doesn't mean its in your best interest. It's a business.

SS/DV

SS/DV

Jan 19, 2011
how old are you? whats your training history like?? have you ever rock climbed? is your job a manual labor job? it sounds like carpell tunel (sp)---its can limit wrist mobility id see a good orthopedic guy

Age? A spry 59, long time off training, back at it again, making great gains, do not want to stop. Previous life was running in sand, carrying telephone poles and rafts and swimming in cold ass water (till I made myself a sand dart, long story). Also falling outta planes and motorcycle accidents (hence knees that try to go both ways:))
I'm kinda retired now, manual labor is around the house type stuff.
The pain in the curls (like the twist?) is immediate when I lift a curl bar. As soon as I drop it the pains mostly gone and I'm doing retarded Arnold style curls (I'm the one retarded, not him.) or hammers. My rows are heavy so I'm hitting the biceps hard anyway, just trying to get some kinda peak outta the suckers. Plus I like the feeling, except when I'm rolling on the floor.
Thanks everyone for the inputs, have a lot to think about and research. Picked up a pair of wrist wraps today, will try it out and see if taking the pressure off them works. Recommended site for good forearm stretches?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
you probably have spurs in the joints that are hitting when you flex the wrist hence the reason that it goes away as soon as you drop the weight! very common in those small joint spaces to cause that kind of stabbing pain. still recommend wrist braces at night! and also the afore mentioned natural antiinflammatories.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic