Members
Latest Member
pbtom

For Those Who Say Equipped Lifting Isn't Lifting

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
"The gear does all the work" they say... coming from guys on juice that's always funny to hear but here is a little story that demonstrates how incorrect this is.

I went to a meet this past weekend just to watch. Uphill joined me. During the bench warm ups I pointed out one lifter in particular to Uphill basically suggesting he was going to bomb out or injure himself in a bad way. Without even having seen him lay down and take the bar out I could see the bar coming back down onto his face when he benched. I even demonstrated the "how" to Uphill. Why did I predict this? When I see a lifter in a shirt that says OVERKILL on it, I take note. This guy had very little, if any musculature on his upper back, toothpicks for legs and from what I could tell, small arms.

When it was his time to bench he stepped up with I believe 495 on the bar but that doesn't matter. He set up kinda crooked on the bench, took the hand off and started his sloooooow descent. Only problem is, one elbow was lowering and the other not at all. The plates started sliding about 4 inches away from the collar and they took the bar.

Next attempt, same weight. Bringing it down crooked again, but starts to correct it. Essentially he brought it down one arm a few inches, other arm a few inches and so on until he by some miracle got that bar to touch.

He gets the "PRESS" command from the judge and starts coming back up with it. But then he reaches that part where the shirt cuts out and since he probably hasn't done enough speed work and has no back or triceps he wasn't going anywhere.

So his triceps give out and his 495lb bench turns into a 495lb skull crusher. Except the spotters got it an inch from his nose.

I got it on video too cause I knew this would happen... I want to edit our voices out of it though so hang on till tomorrow :)

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Great powers of observation, PoB.

(shakes head)

Looking forward to the vid :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If someone's whining about how the equipment helps.... ask them if their using and if they say yes than you can inform them that the gear their on is helping them.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I hate it as well. To each their own. I say give props to the guys who are busting it regardless if they use equipment, gear or neither. Cant wait to see the video.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
equipped lifting is just another form of lifting, it takes it's own set of skills and practice to get decent at it. Mammoth has a near 700lb bench (with a shirt on) and around 600 with out it.... someone want to tell me how he's not strong?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I hope the video is clear enough because seeing it live (we both basically predicted it), he was literally ONE INCH away from eating that bar and whatever absurd amount that was on there. Needless to say, he never lifted any of his lifts and was DQ'd.

He didn't have anywhere near the tricep strength nor back muscle (if any) to even support the weight.....couldn't even flare out his elbows when he was 4 inches off the press.

He looked like he shouldve been making my coffee at dunkin donuts beforehand anyhow.....I almost felt bad for his embarassment, but that went away quickly.

However, I learned more about geared, raw, single/mulit's than I had known before just from going to the meet....I was able to see (once POB was pointing it out) where the suit helps, where it gives out, how to lift properly with a suit and in this guy's case, what not to do!!.....was a good experience.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
equipped lifting is just another form of lifting, it takes it's own set of skills and practice to get decent at it. Mammoth has a near 700lb bench (with a shirt on) and around 600 with out it.... someone want to tell me how he's not strong?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Yea PoB - Overkill shirts are serious gear. Lighter and weaker guys can work them, but you have to know what the heck you're doing. Can't wait to see the video.

It's adorable to see guys with no clue try to wear the same gear and just get beat up by it. Then blame the gear when they get hurt or can't touch. " This super Duper Phenom is broken"... that or it's super duper and you're not, kiddo.

When I get crap about lifting geared I figure that my squat suit gives me 400 pounds, briefs another 300, wraps 150 and belt 50... so for my 1000+ squats I'm only squatting 100 pounds or so.
Usually all it takes at that point is to offer the person some gear and help loading the bar with a grand, because SURELY they can squat more than 100 pounds.... and it'd better be deep too.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Looked shaky but not too terrible.... he just didn't get his elbows out and under the bar as he came back from his belly. Totally missed his groove down and up.....It happens.

As for him being unable to handle the weight - that's definitely debatable. Good job spotters.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Looked shaky but not too terrible.... he just didn't get his elbows out and under the bar as he came back from his belly. Totally missed his groove down and up.....It happens.

As for him being unable to handle the weight - that's definitely debatable. Good job spotters.

He had 14 inch arms No back width at all.. No leg drive... and that lift was his best out of the 3 in terms of having a chance to push the weight and balancing. One of the lifts with different spotters, the weights slipped about 6-8 inches before they grabbed it. I don't envy the spotters at all. They saved his life on this one.

Would love to see you squat if you ever make a show on the east coast porky. Much respect to your #'s

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
So if equipment doesn't help why is it used again? I can't see that guy even even resisting 495 on the negative much less getting it halfway back up again without the shirt. I don't think anyone worth a pinch of shit would say that equipment does ALL the work or that any body could put on a shirt or suit of specific tension and put up whatever poundage they wanted. But on the same stream of logic, I don't think anyone looks at a guy who benches 4 or however many plates in a shirt the same as they look at someone who can bench without it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic