Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Still going to live by the 5 second rule, lol

By Lisa Collier Cool
Food Safety Myths | Yahoo! Health

Even George Clooney has been felled by food poisoning--in his case, after a recent dinner at a restaurant near his home on Italy’s Lake Como. New studies show that food poisoning is on the rise and can lead to have serious long-term health consequences, including reactive arthritis, urinary problems, eye damage, Guillain-Barré syndrome, ulcerative colitis, kidney failure, and diabetes.

Blame it on the Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter and E. coli bacteria that can lurk in meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, fruit and vegetables, even the water we drink. Here’s a scary story: a 2010 Canadian study found that people who developed food poisoning after a well in Ontario was contaminated with E. coli were 33 percent more likely than normal to develop high blood pressure, had a 210 percent greater risk of heart attack or stroke and a 340 percent higher risk of kidney problems in the following eight years. Seven people died.

If you haven’t had food poisoning lately, your turn may be coming. According to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2011 there were 48 million cases of food-borne illness, sending 128,000 people to the hospital and causing 3,000 deaths. What’s more, the numbers are soaring. Earlier this year the agency reported an uptick in food poisoning outbreaks linked to imported foods, particularly fish and spices. Foods from Asia were responsible for 45 percent of the cases.

Clearly, it’s time to get serious about food safety. Here are seven common myths--and the facts to set them straight.

The 10 Worst Outbreaks in U.S. History
#1 Myth: Home-cooked food is safer than restaurant food.

Fact: We think we’re more careful in our own kitchens, but restaurant workers are trained to handle food safely when preparing and storing it. Restaurants have a powerful economic incentive to be very careful--food poisoning is bad for business.

#2 Myth: Food will spoil if you put it into the refrigerator when it is hot.

Fact: The opposite is true. In fact, improper cooling, such as leaving cooked food at room temperature, is the leading cause of food-borne illness in the United States. Quick cooling minimizes bacterial growth.

#3 Myth: Mayonnaise is the most dangerous ingredient in potato salad.

Fact: You’re more likely to get food poisoning from the potatoes or eggs. The mayo you buy at the supermarket is pasteurized and has a high acid content that slows bacterial growth. It is much safer than homemade mayo made with raw eggs.
#4 Myth: Marinades are acidic, which kills bacteria in foods you’re going to grill — so it’s OK to marinate foods on the counter.

Fact: Bacteria can grow rapidly at room temperature. The safest way to marinate food is in the refrigerator. Marinating (or thawing) food on the counter is considered one of the riskiest things you can do when preparing food.

#5 Myth: You don’t need to wash fruits and vegetables if you’re going to peel them.

Fact: You can spread bacteria from the outside of fruits and vegetables to the inside (by cutting them as you peel) if you don’t wash them first. Here’s what the U.S. Agriculture Department suggests: first, cut away any damaged or bruised areas, and then wash fruits and veggies under running water (no soap or “produce washes” needed). Scrub melons and other thick-skinned fruits and vegetables with a clean produce brush. And dry the washed fruits and vegetables with a paper towel or clean dishtowel.

#6 Myth: It’s important to rinse meat, poultry or seafood to get rid of bacteria.

Fact: Rinsing actually increases the risk of food-borne illness by splashing juices and any bacteria they contain onto your sink and counters. The only way to get rid of bacteria is to cook food to the correct temperature. You need a food thermometer to do this right; make sure your food reaches its minimum cooking temperature before serving.

#7 Myth: If you pick up dropped food within five seconds, it’s safe to eat.

Fact: A high school student disproved this pervasive myth in an experiment involving gummy bears and cookies. First, young Jillian Clarke contaminated some floor tiles with E. coli, next she dropped the gummy bears and cookies, which she picked up within 5 seconds. When she analyzed the food for bacteria, she found that all of it was contaminated.

Clemson University researchers got the similar results after first establishing that Salmonella can survive on tiles, carpet and wood for up to four weeks; slices of bread and bologna dropped on the surfaces and then snatched up within five seconds were contaminated almost instantly.

Canecorso

Canecorso

Jun 3, 2011
This is so turn...I have my ServSafe and FoodHandle I'm scared to lety girl cook for me.
I don't eat what I don't cook cause of this now.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol I have serv safe and pic training. I am overly cautious. I temp my food at home when I cook.
My biggest pet peeve. People eating pizza that has been left out overnight

B

BigChef

Dec 16, 2011
The temperature danger zone is between 5 degree to 60 degree. This is where the bacteria multiply during those temperature. I am a Food Safety consultant. I think USA is way behind us in terms of Food safety. We are pretty much advance in Australia. I wash my fruit and vegetable in sanitise solution. Some fruits and vegetables do contain Listeria. You cant stop food poisoning but you can minimised the risk.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Or in Fahrenheit it is 41 to 140.

pips

pips

MuscleHead
Jul 12, 2011
they say employees trained makes them better?ummm no most times they in a hurry to gett food out on table.also u really think the guy on the grill is making enugh money to care what he is putting out?
it is a great read lk gonna print it out and have my kids read it

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The temperature danger zone is between 5 degree to 60 degree. This is where the bacteria multiply during those temperature. I am a Food Safety consultant. I think USA is way behind us in terms of Food safety. We are pretty much advance in Australia. I wash my fruit and vegetable in sanitise solution. Some fruits and vegetables do contain Listeria. You cant stop food poisoning but you can minimised the risk.

USA is behind in some ways... Mostly because our top two regulatory agencies at the Federal Level are bought out by industry (FDA/USDA). There are some changes under way but it will be 10 years before any sort of impact is made.

Or in Fahrenheit it is 41 to 140.

If you look in a more recent edition of servsafe or a new edition of the FDA Model Food Code its now 135F.

they say employees trained makes them better?ummm no most times they in a hurry to gett food out on table.also u really think the guy on the grill is making enugh money to care what he is putting out?
it is a great read lk gonna print it out and have my kids read it

Sort of. FDA conducts baseline surveys for the occurance of foodborne illness risk factors every five years. In jurisdictions with minimum training requirements from an accredited exam, less risk factors are noted. It is a shame though that the labor force is generally unskilled, poorly trained and totally underpaid.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Yes I was gonna say that. Ours doesnt go into affect until May here .Just read the updated version yesterday. We have pretty strict guidelines up here. I send all of my employees to the 4 hour PIC class along with the food handlers class and test.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Just re-read this, how many people actually wash a melon before cutting it. Never even thought of this but will start doing it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just re-read this, how many people actually wash a melon before cutting it. Never even thought of this but will start doing it.

Produce is disgusting... Nevermind the fact that it grows in the dirt with bugs and rodents crawling all over it... How about the pickers that are generally given little to no access to sanitary facilities and in order to make enough money to live they must pick as much as possible... They will often squat in the field to drop a deuce and get right back to work without washing their hands.

And don't even get me started on the quality of water used for irrigation.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
How about the pickers that are generally given little to no access to sanitary facilities and in order to make enough money to live they must pick as much as possible... They will often squat in the field to drop a deuce and get right back to work without washing their hands.

And don't even get me started on the quality of water used for irrigation.
And this is why we had a HUGE contamination of alfalfa sprouts for months up here!

B

BigChef

Dec 16, 2011
Yes if you sanitise it not just in water. Here in Australia years ago, someone died from eating Fruit Salad. Why? Because some fruit contain listeria, dirt, grit etc. Maybe chopping board wasnt change because of cross contamination.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic