Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Foam Rolling isn't Myofascial Release!!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Recovery and injury prevention is a particular interest of mine. In fact I'm thinking about a career change, but I will need to head back to school for it.

Anyway, you've seen me recommend soft tissue work for most of the nagging type injuries we suffer in iron sports as well as better dynamic warm ups. Well one thing that is becoming very common place is foam rolling. You should know, that although it is sold as myofascial release, it is NOT myofascial release.

Watch this 13 minute video and you'll understand that foam rolling and graston are inferior to Active Release therapies.

Take note of the graphic at 7:30. That is how myofacial release is achieved. It requires compression, tension and movement. Or what is commonly referred to as pin and stretch. Pin the insertion of a muscle or at or behind a trigger point (compression), pull away to open up the tissue, then the patient should take the muscle through its normal range of motion or you may assist them in taking it through its normal range of motion.

Often times, pin and stretch or active release can be done on your own. It just requires some creativity and at most a lacrosse ball. Give it a try on your tight areas. Let me know if you need some suggestions on how to accomplish this on your problem areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I am stronger than this guy, I'm in better shape, and I'm better looking. This guy is a doosh...

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
You're right on with this POB I have an A.R.T. massage 3x ew and I suffer from far fewer injuries than I did before.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
I also have art done and I'm a big supporter I think it has helped me out tremendously

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I am stronger than this guy, I'm in better shape, and I'm better looking. This guy is a doosh...

lulz

I have had myfascial release a couple times. OMG that shit hurts like a mofo. It's like getting a huge indian burn.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I squat and dead more than you. STFU :D

I think a combo of graston and ART achieves superior results than one alone.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I squat and dead more than you. STFU :D

I think a combo of graston and ART achieves superior results than one alone.

That's it dooshbag, throw a thread up, We will see who out totals who... Remember I am squeadlifting again... better watch out muscle memory is a bitch...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'll watch this tomorrow. I prefer to learn how to do everything for and to myself so if I can add this into my regimen than I'll give it a shot.

P

proximalStability

Aug 21, 2013
I am not sure who called foam rolling a form of myofascial release but they were mistaken. Foam rolling is a form of ischemic compression. A simple google search can bring this terminology to light and increase awareness. The practice of ischemic compression is most effective on trigger points. The idea is that a trigger point can be 'deactivated' by temporarily occluding its blood supply and causing a reactive hyperaemia (increase in blood supply), effectively flushing out the muscle of inflammatory exudate and pain metabolites, and cell waste. This should allow for increased function/decreased tension in the muscle.

When foam rolling, one should look for what I call "spider bites", and hold the pressure on them for 30" to 1' and move on to another "spider bite".

The idea of myofascial release is an entirely different ball game as shown in the video.

Cheers

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I use a wooden ball, PVC pipe and get deep tissue work done every month and it seams they each have their place. I know that while my teres and rhomboids still have issues, I do not have constant pain or limited ROM

Hawk

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
Ill have to see if ican post my trigger point therapy book on here for others to use? Its a big book and advocates a cane stick but it can be coupled w foam rolling to hit trigger points

H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
foam rollers blow. real men use pvc pipes lol. im too heavy for most commerical foam rollers and they tend to just flatten out after a minute or so. i prefer lacrosse balls. they hit the trigger points harder anyways

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic