Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Floor Press, Board Press, and Bench Press

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
Okay, so here's my understanding of the three:

The floor press is the movement from when your arms are parallel to the ground at the buttom and the up position is lockout.

The board press is more of the last few inches of the "bench press" movement.

The bench press is the full movement from buttom position (bar resting on your chest) to lockout.

Am I getting it right?
Can I use a power rack for both floor press and board press?
With board press the bars would just be higher right (compared to floor press)?

Wouldn't it be beneficial to add a movement that would work strictly on the buttom movement of the "bench press" exercise?
I notice that the hardest part with me is the buttom movement and not so much the lockout portion, would floor press be enough here?

Thanks so much, i'm having a real hard time grasping some of the powerlifting concepts ... all new to me.

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
A floor press is when you lay on the floor and press from there. (you can only go down until your elbows hit the floor, some people pause here, some don't).

A board press is when you have your training partner hold a piece of wood (board) on your chest, then you lower the bar to board, and either pause or not, depends on your purpose, and then press from there.

If you don't have a partner you could do a pin press, essentially the same as a board press, but a different feel. Set the pins on your power rack at the desired height, lower the bar to the pins, pause, rest weight, but stay tight, then press back up.

The floor press, board press, pin press, etc. are all going to focus more of the movement on the lockout or middle to top parts of the bench. They are not going to help on the bottom of the press.

What would help on the bottom of the press is more benching, maybe some higher rep work. Also, practice pausing at the bottom of the press, mimicing the competition pause (if possible, have your partner give the "press" command at the bottom of your bench sets).

Some people feel they benefit from speed work a la Westside. Doing about 50% of your max for 8-10 sets of 2 or 3, but doing each rep as fast as possible.

Also pay attention to your set up...strong arch, tight hips, glutes, legs, feet, keep your shoulders down and back, weight on your traps, tuck you elbows slightly (maybe flaring them at lockout, depends on shoulder health and personal mechanics).

Hope that helps.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic