Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Flat dumbell bench presses

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
I would like some opinions on this:

I am at a point with my flat db presses that I struggle to get started with my reps. I can get into position to begin my set, but I need help from a spotter on my first rep. Once I get that first rep up, I can pump out another 7 or 8 reps on my own (well, I usually need the spotter for my last rep or two). I can control the weights when I am done with my set, so they don't crash to the floor.

My question is, should I use less weight so I can do that first rep without any help, or am I fine with what I'm doing? Without help from a spotter, I would not be able to get started on my set.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Switch it up. Hit the Smith machine or lighten the DB's and pause for a good two seconds at the bottom on each rep. Don't let your skeletal structure hold the weight at the bottom....hold it with your chest.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I avoid this problem entirely in the way I lay down. I have the dbbells on my thighs near my knees as is typical. As I lay back I keep my arms extended and the head of the dbbell on my thighs the whole way - this requires core stability and strength. As my back hits the pad, I put the legs down and my arms are already at the top of the movement. I will take a vid and post if that makes no sense to you.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I avoid this problem entirely in the way I lay down. I have the dbbells on my thighs near my knees as is typical. As I lay back I keep my arms extended and the head of the dbbell on my thighs the whole way - this requires core stability and strength. As my back hits the pad, I put the legs down and my arms are already at the top of the movement. I will take a vid and post if that makes no sense to you.

this is what I do. kinda like a snatch, fall back, and press. tried teaching this to clients and I'm amazed at how many of them can't get it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic