Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

First time benching 315 in 2 years

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Was looking through my training vids and found a vid from the last time I was training bench heavy. It was 2014! Had no idea it was that long ago. About a month after I shot this vid I was in a bench meet put on by my gym (I am not even really a good bencher but with all the smack talk I had to show). Anyway, I hit a 420PB and then tired for 440 and failed. In the process I rolled my shoulder out and that messed me up.

I had rehabbed my shoulder to where I was ready to try lifting heavy again, and I got rear ended in the car accident 2 years ago. Since then, just about anything has felt sketchy since my back is unpredictable.

So really in the past 6 years I have probably had only 3 or 4 sets at 315. (Just to see where I am at). Most all my work the past 6 years is reverse grip w/ 135 and maybe a few normal sets w/ 225. I utilize a lot of TUT, and extended sets. Eg do 10 reps, rest 10 sec, then do AMRAP, rest 10 sec, AMRAP, 10sec rest.

This is as strong as I have been when I was running all periodiszed training 5/3/1 for a few years.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Get a proper bench pad... Thompson fat pad. Leave that razor thin shit for the commercial clowns.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Get a proper bench pad... Thompson fat pad. Leave that razor thin shit for the commercial clowns.

Whats worse than the width is the height of that bench. It is like 2" higher than a standard bench and I can barely touch (Im 5'9). I have a standard height flat bench I can put in my racks but then I need to pull the safeties off so I dont hit them. (which I am too lazy to do). With this bench it is the perfect height if I ever have to ditch. It is just lower than my chest, but not so low that I am stuck under it.

When I was really trying to go for weight, I worked on leg drive , etc. It did make a difference and got me from 405 to my PB of 420. But when repping I never really set up like I might try for a single.

Never benched on a wide bench before, but I have seen where there are pads...etc. Might be a stupid question, but does it really make a difference?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Same boat as you.. shoulder and back issues. Just put 295 on the bar for the first time in 2 years. Moved along fine for a few reps but my shoulder wasnt super happy about it! Still grinding away, but Man it’s true if you don’t use it you lose it

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
After benching the heaviest I have ina long time two weeks ago, I took last week off benching. I felt OK this week, so I figured if my shoulder and back felt OK, I would 'dig' a little deeper to see what I had.

I put on 315 again and got 6, 1 more rep than before, but my 'groove' is all wacky. The plus side, is I did not pull my back at all. It started to tighten up a little after I stood up but some stretching worked it out.

I think for the first time in a loooong time, I am going to try a strength progression training again. I'll blow some dust off one of my old 5/3/1 templates. Only going to do this for bench and keep working everything else the same.

See if I can manage to make some progress back. I remember from my progression going back that 315x10 gave me 405, and when I was able to rep 315x12, I had a 420 paused.
I am not sure if I can approach those, but I dont plan on maxing. Rather I will judge my progress with 315x REPS. 5/3/1 will have me handling some heavier weights though as it progresses, but I think I will try to keep reps above 3 and then reset if need be.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Still alive update. Have not been pushing heavy since I last benched. Coming off a week break where we visited family for the holiday.

Went in tonight and decided to just do reverse grip since it is more shoulder friendly. Normally I just do 135 reverse. Every once in a while I get a hair up my ass and will put 225 on. Tonight, I skipped from 135 to 275. Weird since it did not feel heavy at all.

Really needing to find some motivation to actually 'do' something in the gym...but happy to be able to workout at home since I know so many are without places to train. I need to shut the fuk up and quit being a pu$$y ;)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Looks good. That's the exact same grip I use. There's no reason you can't go heavy with RG. It's so much better on the shoulders.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks man. I agree how much more shoulder friendly it is. I have been doing it for years, but never tried to go that heavy. Truth is, most times was just 135 and lots of TUT and rest pause stuff.

Just still finding ways to keep going. Approaching 50 gym life (and maybe life in general) becomes one big work around :D

I feel kinda guilty posting that I can still hit the gym in my house.........UNTIL YOU COME IN :D

Hope all is good in your neck of the woods!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
You crushed that 275 like a heavy warm up.

Love the vids but could I request something? Sweatpants, long sweatpants. Those massive calves are a bit distracting.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You crushed that 275 like a heavy warm up.

Love the vids but could I request something? Sweatpants, long sweatpants. Those massive calves are a bit distracting.

Weird that it felt as light as it did. I dont think I have ever tried that heavy reverse. Since it is so shoulder friendly, I think I am going to see if I can make some progress benching in that manner.

As for the calf thing.....I dont think I must have had the fish eye lens on or something. My calves have never been called massive. Adequate maybe which is a step up from pathetic, which is where I was stuck for a lot of years.

Just doing want I can. FWIW, it was not until I started to train my calves 'heavy' and using uni-lateral overload that I got them to grow. Used to be the 14" calf crew with 18" arms.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Still alive update. Have not been pushing heavy since I last benched. Coming off a week break where we visited family for the holiday.

Went in tonight and decided to just do reverse grip since it is more shoulder friendly. Normally I just do 135 reverse. Every once in a while I get a hair up my ass and will put 225 on. Tonight, I skipped from 135 to 275. Weird since it did not feel heavy at all.

Really needing to find some motivation to actually 'do' something in the gym...but happy to be able to workout at home since I know so many are without places to train. I need to shut the fuk up and quit being a pu$$y ;)

Good tunes on. Love that track.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic