Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

First gym selfie in a while

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Looking good Mac. I’ve been doing IF too for about 6-7 weeks. Dropped 13 pounds. Feeling good.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Looking good Mac. I’ve been doing IF too for about 6-7 weeks. Dropped 13 pounds. Feeling good.

That is awesome. I resisted for a long time, and then after I tried it, it was a no-brainer.

I still utilized whey and fiber at night to hit protein levels. After the first year, I laxed up on getting 200+ g of protein a day. I still drink whey if I feel I need it but I am not buying the dogma that I once believed as if it was written in stone.

Some study out there that actually shows going longer in between eating up-regulates your protein utilization. I do still supplement leucine especially on hard fasting days. It cant hurt.

And the 'hard' fasting days are a relatively new thing for me. Again an evolution of IF and something I NEVER would have tried before. The overall appetite control of IF is pretty amazing. Going till 6-7pm to eat my first meal is really no biggie. This coming from a guy who used to NEED to eat every 2 hours.

Good luck! Hope life is treating you well. Life has been pretty busy on my end. That is why this flexible dieting works even better. I am no longer a slave to food, and if I want to eat a bunch of food most would avoid, I just roll with it. Enjoying life and making any minor adjustments needed to fit just about anything in.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Fat loss still coming. ZERO cardio and this is the easiest 'diet' I have ever done. Been doing 3 'hard' fasts a week where I go 20-22 hours without eating and then eat only one meal. (a big one).

Every once in a while I snap a decent pic. This was tonight. No idea what I weigh...have not stepped on a scale in months.... Guessing between 200 and205. (I am 5'9)

nHtSult.jpg

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Fat loss still coming. ZERO cardio and this is the easiest 'diet' I have ever done. Been doing 3 'hard' fasts a week where I go 20-22 hours without eating and then eat only one meal. (a big one).

Every once in a while I snap a decent pic. This was tonight. No idea what I weigh...have not stepped on a scale in months.... Guessing between 200 and205. (I am 5'9)

nHtSult.jpg
Dude, you look great: damn near stage ready! God bless you if you can do that kind of fasting. I can't make it 12 hr for fasting BW and I'm ready to chew my own arm off and eat it.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Dude, you look great: damn near stage ready! God bless you if you can do that kind of fasting. I can't make it 12 hr for fasting BW and I'm ready to chew my own arm off and eat it.

No. Lower body is close-ish. Still some stubborn areas up top. Just caught myself in a good water balance day. I have never tried to 'drop water' since I am not a 'bodybuilder' but I would be interested to see the impact.

I ate this the night before coming off a 22 hour fast and my body sucked up everything.

I used to be a guy who needed to eat every 2 hours. I only recently started the longer fasts, but I have been practicing IF for over 3 years now. The first week was tough, and then after that....boom. It is only every hard it you cheat. Then it messes you up and makes it tougher to start over. But in the past 3 years, I have maybe only eaten 3 times before 2 pm. (My first meal daily is 2-3pm)

inqnQTs.jpg

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

Ditto!....I had a personal trainer tell me to drink water when my stomach growled....I would, but all that would happen was the "tune" changed tone and I still was deathly hungry!!!....

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I ate this the night before coming off a 22 hour fast and my body sucked up everything.

I used to be a guy who needed to eat every 2 hours. I only recently started the longer fasts, but I have been practicing IF for over 3 years now. The first week was tough, and then after that....boom. It is only every hard it you cheat. Then it messes you up and makes it tougher to start over. But in the past 3 years, I have maybe only eaten 3 times before 2 pm. (My first meal daily is 2-3pm)

inqnQTs.jpg

What is your philosophy on protein intake? That IF flys in the face of the standard protein intake methods. I spread my 200g of protein out over a full day. I do feel most guys get too much protein in their diet. As a 220 lb guy, that 200g seems to work wel for me. IF has plenty of research on the health benefits, just not sure how well it fits into muscle building. Educate me!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
What is your philosophy on protein intake? That IF flys in the face of the standard protein intake methods. I spread my 200g of protein out over a full day. I do feel most guys get too much protein in their diet. As a 220 lb guy, that 200g seems to work wel for me. IF has plenty of research on the health benefits, just not sure how well it fits into muscle building. Educate me!

For almost 10 years I got a MIN of 220 g of protein / day EVERY DAY.

When I first dabbled w/ IF, protein is the only thing I tracked. I realized non workout day I was coming up short. (I get an extra 50g in my post workout shake) I was supplementing nightly with 25g of unflavored whey, 5g leucine (which has been shown to up regulate the 25g to the same as equivalent 50+) and I would add some fiber for good luck.

As time went on I started to not get as nervous about it. I figured that if I lost muscle, I could always just up food and get it back. I trained most my life nattie, and several times cutting really hard, I shed too much muscle and it came back very quickly after upping food. SO ....I figured what did I have to lose?...

Then when I saw the world did not end... I got more brave and did the 20-22hour fasts with essentially one meal which was a GORGE fest. But even then I was probably getting 70-80. So I would take the extra 25g and leucine before bed. I have been doing the single meals w/ 20+ hour fasts 3/week now and I only take the extra protein about 1/2 the time. I am just coming to realize it is not all that critical.

There is some study behind this that I remember Layne Norton talking about. The importance of spacing out your protein intake. He was saying at a MIN 4 hours. But the science shows the longer you go without eating, your body will use whatever you intake more efficiently. One study was on older women who took in very little protein, much less than what should be required. But it was found that their eating habits, only eating one or two small meals / day would GREATLY upregulate their protein synthesis for the given amount of protein intake.

So I am just rolling with it.....and now 3 years in....zero fuks given to not hitting the levels of protein I used to hit. Not saying that is not important in a conventional diet, but there is no doubt that fasting changes metabolic functions.

My basic rules that I eat by.

I never eat first mean before 2pm. Sometimes later.

I eat whatever I want. Like wings and cheese fries are a great lunch. Or fried chicken, ramen noodles, and some yougort and granola bars. I eat about 2 tubs of icecream a week and pizza every friday...etc.

Some of my eating 'rules'. I NEVER break a fast w/ carbs. I always eat my protein w/ associated fats first. >>>>then carbs.

If I want something sweet or carb intensive, I do it AFTER my main meal. EG, After lunch, I will often eat a bowl of strawberry greek yogurt and eat a few granola bars.

If I want some REALLY bad sweets/carbs, I do post workout. I always ingest about 60g simple carbs and protein post workout. My shake of apple juice, a cup of frozen strawberries, and a frozen banana w/ 2 scoops whey. I drink that immediately after workout (I make it before). I give that 30-40 min and then I eat dinner. AFTER that, I usually attack some form of icecream maybe a few cookies.

If I have a candy craving (once a week or so) I will eat a pack of skittles or some airhead taffy. I steal them from my wife's stash that she gives to her piano students' Those will just stack on top of simple sugars from my post workout shake. I have found I can take in MASS amounts of simple carbs post workout. I just never add in fat with those extreme boluses.

My 'hard' fasts w/ single meals are done on non-workout days.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
There is some study behind this that I remember Layne Norton talking about. The importance of spacing out your protein intake. He was saying at a MIN 4 hours. But the science shows the longer you go without eating, your body will use whatever you intake more efficiently. One study was on older women who took in very little protein, much less than what should be required. But it was found that their eating habits, only eating one or two small meals / day would GREATLY upregulate their protein synthesis for the given amount of protein intake.

Thanks for the feedback!

One issue I always had with that 50g of protein over 4 hr was it just never passed the test of nature for me. The idea that if you eat more protein than 50g in a sitting, your body is going to piss it out doesn't make sense from a survival standpoint. Ancient man would have never survived expending all that energy to track down game only to have most of what he comsumed pissed out.

I'll pass on the IF but I do think it has it's place.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for the feedback!

One issue I always had with that 50g of protein over 4 hr was it just never passed the test of nature for me. The idea that if you eat more protein than 50g in a sitting, your body is going to piss it out doesn't make sense from a survival standpoint. Ancient man would have never survived expending all that energy to track down game only to have most of what he comsumed pissed out.

I'll pass on the IF but I do think it has it's place.

Yea, I quite often eat over 50g. Most chicken breasts are 9-10 oz. So a 10 oz breast will have 60g. Also chicken wings are 6g/ wing, and I often eat a dozen (along with cheese fries) ;)

So I am with you and the science does not support a limit to the amount you 'digest'.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
My dude looking super lean and jacked. Good work bro. I’ve found by doing something similar, I drop weight pretty easily as well. Just gotta get my stubborn ass back on that train. Digging those kicks too, how do you like them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raynmela

Raynmela

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2012
Wow Dude! You are my Hero! Im gonna try that One Meal per day next week, I’ll start with just trying it once a week. Can you still have Black Coffee, Tea during the fast or is it a complete Dry fast? I don’t know if I can keep away at least Tea and Water.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic