Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

First Cycle Help/Suggestions/etc

Trey

Trey

Jul 9, 2018
What's up everybody, I am a 23 (almost 24) year old male 5'9 185 lbs been training for 3-4 years and I'm looking to compete. I have pretty good genetics and look good naturally but in order for me to compete/win at a high level I might need to look into gear. If anybody can suggest a cycle for me to take and everything else related, I would greatly appreciate it

Pictures of me.
http:// tinypic.com/r/oj41ts/9
http:// tinypic.com/r/v33fop/9
http:// tinypic.com/r/fvt6b/9

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Welcome to TID. You are still a little young imo but at least you are looking to do this for competition and not just for looking good at the beach.

Take a look at the stickies for first cycles or even just search for first cycle. Will spare us all from typing out answers we already gave.

Hint... You wanna look into testosterone only as your first.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I agree with POB. Test only for 12 weeks, followed by an intelligent PCT (post cycle therapy) to get your natural production back up and running ASAP.

But don't fall into the rut of some people who think that with "the sauce" your diet and training can be hit or miss. Take full advantage of your cycle by having your diet and training regimen in place. My guess is that will hard work and dedication, you could easily put on 10 pounds of lean mass, maybe even more.

Trey

Trey

Jul 9, 2018
Welcome to TID. You are still a little young imo but at least you are looking to do this for competition and not just for looking good at the beach.

Take a look at the stickies for first cycles or even just search for first cycle. Will spare us all from typing out answers we already gave.

Hint... You wanna look into testosterone only as your first.

I mean Chris Bumstead is younger than me and Regan Grimes is only a year older....just saying

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I mean Chris Bumstead is younger than me and Regan Grimes is only a year older....just saying

I did not start to experiment with aas until I was in my 40's. But there are guys out there that do start pretty young. I trained naturally for many years and it taught me how to do every other part what it takes to support a training lifestyle. Only thing I can share is that the things I thought I wanted out of life back when I was 23, are very different now. Life has a way of changing your thoughts on things. AAS has some risks that you may pay for later or interfere with things WHEN your priorities shift and change with time.

My personal opinion is 3 years is not all that long and you still have gains to be made naturally. Learning to do what you need to do in order to continue growth naturally, will be of great benefit to you if and when you decide to add AAS. I know many guys who only run very large cycles and they still dont look that great. They fall off quite a bit between cycles as well. I'll contrast that with long time guys who run comparatively small dose cycles, yet they look great all the time. I never see them balloon up and down. Thier many years of experience balancing things OTHER than the AAS has given them the tools to manage this lifestyle.

Probably not what you want to hear...but I would give it a few more years and claw every bit of growth you can get. Learn to manipulate and control your intake to get your desired goals. Get as strong as you can on large compound lifts. (train more like a powerlifter than a bodybuilder) It will all benefit you later on.

Trey

Trey

Jul 9, 2018
I did not start to experiment with aas until I was in my 40's. But there are guys out there that do start pretty young. I trained naturally for many years and it taught me how to do every other part what it takes to support a training lifestyle. Only thing I can share is that the things I thought I wanted out of life back when I was 23, are very different now. Life has a way of changing your thoughts on things. AAS has some risks that you may pay for later or interfere with things WHEN your priorities shift and change with time.

My personal opinion is 3 years is not all that long and you still have gains to be made naturally. Learning to do what you need to do in order to continue growth naturally, will be of great benefit to you if and when you decide to add AAS. I know many guys who only run very large cycles and they still dont look that great. They fall off quite a bit between cycles as well. I'll contrast that with long time guys who run comparatively small dose cycles, yet they look great all the time. I never see them balloon up and down. Thier many years of experience balancing things OTHER than the AAS has given them the tools to manage this lifestyle.

Probably not what you want to hear...but I would give it a few more years and claw every bit of growth you can get. Learn to manipulate and control your intake to get your desired goals. Get as strong as you can on large compound lifts. (train more like a powerlifter than a bodybuilder) It will all benefit you later on.

So wait until I'm 40? Lol I'm trying to compete sooner or later.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
So wait until I'm 40? Lol I'm trying to compete sooner or later.

If that is what you got out my post, it shows you dont even take the time to read past the first line. Dont want to be hating on any one, but I have noticed that many of the younger generation dont communicate very well. ( Speaking from in a work environment...etc). I often respond back to them with "read my whole email and then ask me again" ;)

Try reading my post again, (in it's entirity) and see if that is really what I said......

Trey

Trey

Jul 9, 2018
If that is what you got out my post, it shows you dont even take the time to read past the first line. Dont want to be hating on any one, but I have noticed that many of the younger generation dont communicate very well. ( Speaking from in a work environment...etc). I often respond back to them with "read my whole email and then ask me again" ;)

Try reading my post again, (in it's entirity) and see if that is really what I said......

relax, I know what you said lol The last paragraph sums it up.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
2 wrongs don't make a right? I mean honestly a reply like this is kinda immature. Not exactly disproving my point here.

If you can't face the fact that there are downsides to using steroids at any age nevermind at yours then do what you are gonna do.

Be honest with yourself when making decisions like this.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Trey, we're all old farts here (at least most of us), and some of us started on AAS early, while others of us waited until our late 30s or early 40s when our natural test levels were declining. I agree that there's no way you can compete at any significant level (NPC national level) without gear, and that 24 years old is not super young in that respect. If that's what you want to do, we'll be here to help you make good decisions.

I think what both POB and Mac are getting at is that you want to be careful and smart so that if you choose to start at 24, you won't have any regrets later when you're 45 (or even 30-35 and wanting to start a family).

We're all for you, and we're hoping you see both sides before you make your choice. If you are going to run a cycle (and if you're going to be a national level competitor, you'll likely be running full time and blasting periodically), we'll be here to provide you some of our knowledge and experience to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Trey

Just to add to what POB has said, you will find some great advice here. Try to take it in and process what is best for you. I came here knowing nothing as well and I am very glad I listened to those that had the experience over me. There are some good competitors around here. Guys with more experience at that level. Maybe it is possible they will see this and jump in with advice suited to what it will take to compete at those levels.

On a flip side, there are many offshoots of bodybuilding these days that allow you to have a fantastic build and maybe not commit to the level required to pursue a bodybuilding pro card. The sponsorships at the other levels I have heard even exceed what IFBB pros make. Things like classic...etc. Again, there are guys that know more than I do, but just throwing it out there.

Trey

Trey

Jul 9, 2018
2 wrongs don't make a right? I mean honestly a reply like this is kinda immature. Not exactly disproving my point here.

If you can't face the fact that there are downsides to using steroids at any age nevermind at yours then do what you are gonna do.

Be honest with yourself when making decisions like this.

I know there are downsides to using.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic